USD vs AUD vs CAD

Just looking at xe.com and unlike exchange rates seen on this site are very diferent:

1 USD=P43.34

1 AUD=P42.86

1 CAD=P42.88

I was wondering if it would be worthwhile exchanging 50% of my AUD savings into USD or CAD as insurance against a correction of the AUD after last week Bloomberg saying the AUD is 27% over valued. What do you financial gurus here think ?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• TheMatrix

• Wirraway

• abw

• Julian C Thong

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you want to protect your bank account, I recommended hedging by putting half your dough in the PHP. That way if the Peso appreciates or depreciates, your net will be the same regardless. Always p

Having lived in Manila for 5 years and 1.5 years here in Cebu City and been coming here since 1978 I would not invest one centavo in the Philippines, been there and done that 20 yrs ago, quite happy j

Posted Images

I would prefer CAD to USD. I think the US dollar has a way to go down now.

I would prefer China yuan to euro. It definitely is not going to go down, while PIIGS are still going to cause a lot of trouble for the euro IMHO.

Ozepete

I would prefer China yuan to euro. It definitely is not going to go down, while PIIGS are still going to cause a lot of trouble for the euro IMHO.

Mate... suggest that you hold onto your Aussie dollars, they have a lot of growth yet as the mining boom continues to grow ever with increasing Chinese, Korean and Japanese demand.

The Bloomberg statement you refer to is nonsense.

Expect the Au$ to hit 1.20 against the US$

TheMatrix

If you want to protect your bank account, I recommended hedging by putting half your dough in the PHP. That way if the Peso appreciates or depreciates, your net will be the same regardless. Always protect your savings by hedging. You'll sleep better at night rather then worry which way the Peso is headed.

• Like 2

Ozpete said:

$1.20 you have got to be joking, if that happened tourism to Australia will be dead, the Labour govt would devalue before that would happen.

TheMatrix

Hedging with the Yuan does not work since it is pegged to the U.S. dollar and only 3.5% float. (not enough to really matter).

Therefore if the U.S. dollar drops 50%, so does the Chinese Yuan.

If you want to protect your bank account, I recommended hedging by putting half your dough in the PHP. That way if the Peso appreciates or depreciates, your net will be the same regardless. Always protect your savings by hedging. You'll sleep better at night rather then worry which way the Peso is headed.

Having lived in Manila for 5 years and 1.5 years here in Cebu City and been coming here since 1978 I would not invest one centavo in the Philippines, been there and done that 20 yrs ago, quite happy just living here and enjoying myself without the headache.

• Like 1
TheMatrix

Ozpete said:

$1.20 you have got to be joking, if that happened tourism to Australia will be dead, the Labour govt would devalue before that would happen.

I think it's possible. The AUD is on a roar right now against a weak dollar. We just broke a key Resistance level which was set in 2008 at .9850. The sky is the limit.

Finally at U.S. Parity! =)) (see chart)

audusd.png

Edited by SteveMatrix

Ozpete said:

How can they devalue and beat the market? Surely the only long term method would be to lower interest rates and would that not stoke inflation? Japan is apparently trying to lower the Yen against the Dollar, but not sure they are having much success. Yet I read Japan has deflation yet nearly zero base rate which conflicts with what I have said above for Australia. Can anybody give a simple explanation?

Ozepete

Ozpete said:

They won't devalue and tourism in Australia is half dead / suffering now, besides they're mostly small business people and do you really think the Labor govt gives a rats arse about them!

Mate... suggest that you hold onto your Aussie dollars, they have a lot of growth yet as the mining boom continues to grow ever with increasing Chinese, Korean and Japanese demand.

Bloomberg quote? I think you have the wrong man.

And in reply to Steve Matrix, sure the yuan is pegged but it wont stay that way for ever. When the peg does go, the yuan will soar.

But when the head of the IMF is talking about currency wars who knows who will win. I sure dont.

Ozepete, yes I agree that the Labour govt would not give arse, but dont under estimate the Americans, they are getting really pissed of with the Chinese and would not suprise me if they bought in tariffs against Chinese imports, if that happened less exports from Australia to China resulting in higher unemployment in Australia, think about it.

Lee From Cebu

CAD all the way we have a strong economy with good growth and a under valued dollar . The greenback is going to take a slide soon IMO

Ozepete, yes I agree that the Labour govt would not give arse, but dont under estimate the Americans, they are getting really pissed of with the Chinese and would not suprise me if they bought in tariffs against Chinese imports, if that happened less exports from Australia to China resulting in higher unemployment in Australia, think about it.

So who's going to buy all those US Treasury bonds to keep their economy afloat? China holds close to $1 trillion worth of T-bonds.