Rolling Power Outages are back

SkyMan

"brownout" ::= power still there, but at a lower, out-of-spec voltage, makes lightbulbs look "brown"

"blackout" ::= power gone, makes lightbulbs (and the room they are supposed to illuminate) look "black"

Correct and I use the term black out here.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Turbota

• smokey

• mpt1947

• DeezNuz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it seems like rolling brown-outs have returned to Metro Cebu - with avengeance. In the last 24-hour period, we have had three brownouts, each lasting over 2 hours and that's far worse than the si

No, it's now the wet season. Rain and wind affect the lines too!

I think it's because the Christmas season is near...imagine all the cheap Chinese christmas lights being set up and put on display.   We're all in for it now! No power on X-mas!

mahogany

One of the things that really ticks me off about all the brownouts here is not only that it seems to be a never-ending story, but that the average local national does not care less at all - not a hoot (with the exception of Robert's neighbors of course :phil:). Once you make a remark about or try to reason out the brownout, you will be considered to be arte or magpasikat (proud, boastful, showoff) :phil:

In the US, there are redundant transmission lines running all over the place. If one section is taken out for maintenance, the electricity can be rerouted through other lines.

Here on Cebu, there is one main transmission line running the length of the island. If one section is taken out, a major part of the island goes black.

See ... They screwed up when they built all the transmission lines here in the Philippines.

Had they been smart, they would have sent someone to the US to see how they do it there ... Then came back to the Philippines and done it the same way. Then they would not have all the problems they have now.

I guess they never thought of that option.

I guess it's too late now to fix the mess they have made of there national electric grid.

I don't know that much about electricity, but since I don't ... I would find out how other countries run there electric power system and just copy them ... seems easy enough!

One of the things that really ticks me off about all the brownouts here is not only that it seems to be a never-ending story, but that the average local national does not care less at all - not a hoot (with the exception of Robert's neighbors of course :phil:). Once you make a remark about or try to reason out the brownout, you will be considered to be arte or magpasikat (proud, boastful, showoff) :phil:

They have been living with basically nothing for so long (or basically just a broken system) ... that nothing really bothers the average Filipino.

In the 4 1/2 years I have lived here ... That's about all I can make of it.

Edited by Turbota

Well...on the news today, they said today should be the last day of the brown-outs for some time.

...yeah...it remains to be seen.

shadow

Or, NOT seen, depending on what time of day it is!

:phil:

LinD

RogerDuMond

Had they been smart, they would have sent someone to the US to see how they do it there ... Then came back to the Philippines and done it the same way. Then they would not have all the problems they have now.

I guess they never thought of that option.

I guess it's too late now to fix the mess they have made of there national electric grid.

I don't know that much about electricity, but since I don't ... I would find out how other countries run there electric power system and just copy them ... seems easy enough!

Maybe they did. In Lake Worth, Florida, we have our own power company for the city. Our system for the city is antiquated and we loose power twice a month on average and we have the highest rates in the state. Our utility bill runs between $450 and $550 per month. I will be glad to get to Owak where (so far) we only loose power if someone hits a pole.

Rob;

You mean you don't believe??:phil:

Well...on the news today, they said today should be the last day of the brown-outs for some time.

Headshot

Maybe they are about finished with the transmission project. That would do it.

Headshot

In the US, there are redundant transmission lines running all over the place. If one section is taken out for maintenance, the electricity can be rerouted through other lines.

Here on Cebu, there is one main transmission line running the length of the island. If one section is taken out, a major part of the island goes black.

See ... They screwed up when they built all the transmission lines here in the Philippines. Had they been smart, they would have sent someone to the US to see how they do it there ... Then came back to the Philippines and done it the same way. Then they would not have all the problems they have now. I guess they never thought of that option. I guess it's too late now to fix the mess they have made of there national electric grid. I don't know that much about electricity, but since I don't ... I would find out how other countries run there electric power system and just copy them ... seems easy enough!

It is easy to see why they chose the option they did. Cebu is long and narrow. There isn't a lot of level land to build transmission lines on. There is one major power source on the island at Naga and an underwater transmission line at the north end of the island from Leyte. There is one major load center on the island (Cebu City area). Therefore, a central backbone system, with distribution substations spaced out along the length of the island makes a lot of sense...until you have to perform major maintenance on the backbone line. Now, I get the impression that not much regular maintenance is done on that line, considering the poor maintenance I see on the distribution lines here. So, it may seem like a mistake with all the outages we have been experiencing, but if it is another twenty years before they do this again, then it will seem like a smart decision. It appeared that they significantly increased the size of the conductors from what they had before, so there will be a lot of added capacity for future growth now. The amount of growth the island has experienced was probably not anticipated when the transmission line was first built. They could run another line along the crest of the island to create an alternate feed for the distrubution system, but that is not cheap, and VECO isn't likely to want to go that route unless they have to. There would also be a lot of pissed off rich (read that influential) people too, since they tend to build their homes up in the mountains and they want unobstructed views.

Why don't they just jack up the rates until they can afford to build more capacity?

Then there would be so much whining, I would hear it here in teh USA. It's the government there or the 200 families running the Phils that are screwing the average citizen.

The brownouts aren't helping computer users much there.

My brother-in-law refuses to keep his stuff.............WIFI, Router. and PC on the APC UPS I purchased when we visited. These cold cocking brownouts really trash a HDD.

Fred

Last couple of days we have had our share of "brownouts" in Alaska - this morning the City cut off Water to our area -

We have a 180 Ft Well and everyone in the world line up to buy water

Life - you got to love it

Mike

I was at the office, jsut down the street from my house. Fiance' sends me a text message at 5PM saying the power went out, so I tell her to get ready and I will pick them up and we'll go out to eat dinner.

Around 6PM, I pick them up and go the the Taiwanese Shabu Shabu restaurant (hotpot). We order our food, then the power goes out.

Just can't win....

Today's news reflects your 'it remains to be seen' statement: More brownouts until weekend