Rolling Power Outages are back

I think it's because the Christmas season is near...imagine all the cheap Chinese christmas lights being set up and put on display.

We're all in for it now! No power on X-mas!

• Like 1
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Turbota

• smokey

• mpt1947

• DeezNuz

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it seems like rolling brown-outs have returned to Metro Cebu - with avengeance. In the last 24-hour period, we have had three brownouts, each lasting over 2 hours and that's far worse than the si

No, it's now the wet season. Rain and wind affect the lines too!

I think it's because the Christmas season is near...imagine all the cheap Chinese christmas lights being set up and put on display.   We're all in for it now! No power on X-mas!

I sit down to watch the tv...................the cable goes out......................Cable comes back on, the power goes out! Now i know i'm back in PI !!!:oldtimer::rofl: :rofl: Least i got to see the footy.

We live in Valencia, where a lot of the power comes from. This week is fiesta week here, so the whole Visayas region has to suffer along with us! The boom box has to draw at least a million megawatts.

Strange... we haven't had any brownouts.

I've noticed that one of my neighbors has his Christmas lights up and running for about a week now. My wife tells me to expect a lot more real soon. But even with the Christmas lights in October we should not be having these many brownouts if the power situation had been addressed as it should have been decades ago. Now all of a sudden Congress wants hearings on why the RP is having these issues. Yea right. Tell us a new one.

We had one last evening, lasted 2 hours as usual. Has not been bad though, only happens 2 or 3 times a month is about the average. But the weather is cool in the evenings so its just a good reason to set on the deck with candle light and have a few SM's. :oldtimer:

Had the Globe techs out here to fix our erratic signal n after playing around with antennae came to check computer but just as he started the power went off. He assured us it was fixed but it wasnt so back to globe office and got to wait another 48 hours....

Bundy can you get Bathurst or the cricket on cable?

Peter

musicman666

I could tell you why it's happening, but you would not believe me like before. Expect it to get worse!

try me.. its the philippines so the crazier the story the more likely it is to be true!

Had the Globe techs out here to fix our erratic signal n after playing around with antennae came to check computer but just as he started the power went off. He assured us it was fixed but it wasnt so back to globe office and got to wait another 48 hours....

Bundy can you get Bathurst or the cricket on cable?

Peter

Gidday Pete, never seen cricket here on ANY channel but Bathurst is on Australia Network this Sunday.:oldtimer:

Bob Ward

One issue is that after they repaired broken units and actually brought new ones on line, they then turned off all the diesel units that were running to make up the difference. The net power available is actually lower now than when the broken units and new units were offline. They just won't spend the $$ to run the old diesel units even though we are being charged the higher rates to run them. It's called greed.

I will get an update soon from the contractor who supervises the maintenance for most of the coal fired units and post the most current information. Cheers!

smokey

Why don't they just jack up the rates until they can afford to build more capacity?

because its embarrassing to have the highest rates... and anyway system loss means screw the customer .

Power went out about 3 PM came back on about 4 PM

Was taking a shower in the Dark - hope I didn't miss any spots?

Headshot

I could tell you why it's happening, but you would not believe me like before. Expect it to get worse!

Let me guess. On several of the recent outages, we have gone out looking for a cooler place than the apartment. Lo and behold...there is structure maintenance, insulator replacement and conductor upgrades being performed on the transmission system, which shuts down big sections of the city every time they do a new section of line (it doesn't just affect a little section of town like when they work on distribution lines). They are rewiring and reinsulating easily-isolated sections of line each time they do this, but these are not all the same length. That explains why some outages have only lasted a few hours while others have lasted many hours. Of course, this isn't the only reason for outages here, but that is a big one. Having done this kind of work in a previous lifetime, I know that once they have upgraded all the transmission lines, the power should be more reliable. However, in the meantime, a lot of people will be complaining about the outages they cause.

smokey

Let me guess. On several of the recent outages, we have gone out looking for a cooler place than the apartment. Lo and behold...there is structure maintenance, insulator replacement and conductor upgrades being performed on the transmission system, which shuts down big sections of the city every time they do a new section of line (it doesn't just affect a little section of town like when they work on distribution lines). They are rewiring and reinsulating easily-isolated sections of line each time they do this, but these are not all the same length. That explains why some outages have only lasted a few hours while others have lasted many hours. Of course, this isn't the only reason for outages here, but that is a big one. Having done this kind of work in a previous lifetime, I know that once they have upgraded all the transmission lines, the power should be more reliable. However, in the meantime, a lot of people will be complaining about the outages they cause.

my neighbors hate brown outs ... when we have one i start up the worlds loudest generator ....

...there is structure maintenance, insulator replacement and conductor upgrades being performed on the transmission system, which shuts down big sections of the city every time they do a new section of line (it doesn't just affect a little section of town like when they work on distribution lines).

They are rewiring and reinsulating easily-isolated sections of line each time they do this, but these are not all the same length. That explains why some outages have only lasted a few hours while others have lasted many hours.

Seems strange that in the US when there is "structure maintenance, insulator replacement and conductor upgrades being performed on the transmission system" and "rewiring and reinsulating easily-isolated sections of line" ... the power don't go out.

Headshot

...there is structure maintenance, insulator replacement and conductor upgrades being performed on the transmission system, which shuts down big sections of the city every time they do a new section of line (it doesn't just affect a little section of town like when they work on distribution lines).

They are rewiring and reinsulating easily-isolated sections of line each time they do this, but these are not all the same length. That explains why some outages have only lasted a few hours while others have lasted many hours.

Seems strange that in the US when there is "structure maintenance, insulator replacement and conductor upgrades being performed on the transmission system" and "rewiring and reinsulating easily-isolated sections of line" ... the power don't go out.

Think about it. In the US, there are redundant transmission lines running all over the place. If one section is taken out for maintenance, the electricity can be rerouted through other lines. That way, a section can be isolated and de-energized without causing an outage. Here on Cebu, there is one main transmission line running the length of the island. If one section is taken out, a major part of the island goes black. Some load in northern Cebu can be fed from Leyte, but they can't handle all the load created by Cebu City and the surrounding towns.

Also, in the US, some work on transmission lines is done hot (energized). Linemen here are not trained for that kind of work, and even if they were, they don't have the proper equipment for it. In any case, it is tough to run new conductors alongside energized conductors on a transmission line without getting yourself fried (the electrical field extends far beyond the conductor itself and will energize any nearby conductors to the same voltage). Some things just have to be done de-energized. Since they don't have alternate lines, they don't have a lot of options.