Rolling Power Outages are back

Well it seems like rolling brown-outs have returned to Metro Cebu - with avengeance. In the last 24-hour period, we have had three brownouts, each lasting over 2 hours and that's far worse than the situation was in April/May when we had just one brownout a day lasting little more than an hour. According to VECO, rolling brownouts are likely to remain in force for the foreseeable future.

I do wonder how Cebu will cope in a year or so's time when a lot more housing construction will be completed and yet more projects are started. The demand for electricity has already outstripped supply - hence the brown-outs - and there seems to be no reserve whatsoever. At least on Mindanao, the current shortage could be partially solved but only if San Miguel Corporation gets the "green light" to build a new power station near General Santos City. I personally think power generation and distribution (the National Grid) should be State-owned enterprises and the State should have private sector partnerships with those who are prepared to invest in the power infrastructure. I also think that distributers, like VECO, should be made accountable for "system loss" and not be permitted to charge their law-abiding customers for their inability to prevent illegal power-tapping. But that's all a pipe-dream, I fear.

Mark

• Like 2
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• Turbota

• shadow

• Headshot

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well it seems like rolling brown-outs have returned to Metro Cebu - with avengeance. In the last 24-hour period, we have had three brownouts, each lasting over 2 hours and that's far worse than the si

No, it's now the wet season. Rain and wind affect the lines too!

I think it's because the Christmas season is near...imagine all the cheap Chinese christmas lights being set up and put on display.   We're all in for it now! No power on X-mas!

Inspector 2211

"brownout" ::= power still there, but at a lower, out-of-spec voltage, makes lightbulbs look "brown"

"blackout" ::= power gone, makes lightbulbs (and the room they are supposed to illuminate) look "black"

shadow

"brownout" ::= power still there, but at a lower, out-of-spec voltage, makes lightbulbs look "brown"

"blackout" ::= power gone, makes lightbulbs (and the room they are supposed to illuminate) look "black"

Not in this country!

Larry in Dumaguete

And they will still charge the highest rates :lol:

And they will still charge the highest rates :biggrin_01:

Other than yesterday, we have had 3 brownouts in the last 2 days here in Bacolod.

I just can't figure out why they had power last week, but for some unknown reason, they don't have enough power this week.

What could have changed in just 1 week?

shadow

Other than yesterday, we have had 3 brownouts in the last 2 days here in Bacolod.

I just can't figure out why they had power last week, but for some unknown reason, they don't have enough power this week.

What could have changed in just 1 week?

Here in Duma for the last two days, we have had one per day lasting about 2 hours in the late afternoon/early evening.

Larry in Dumaguete

Yesterday here in Manila we had a brownout but it only lasted about 10 minutes. I don't know if that counts but we have power outages here in the capital too.

Why don't they just jack up the rates until they can afford to build more capacity?

After a two and half hour blackout on Tuesday morning and another hour or so Tuesday Evening, the 2nd Headline in the Cebu Sun Star on Wednesday morning "DOE Expects Supply Situation to Stabilize today"

Later in the day as we were coming back from Talisay the power went out - we attended a birthday party with romantically lit candles - unfortunately the birthday party was for a 9 yr old....

Don't know why - but got home to Alaska and we didn't loose power at all

I do I really do love the Philippines - but this power grid problem as to be the number one priority - especially as it gets hotter

Mike

Bob Ward

I could tell you why it's happening, but you would not believe me like before. Expect it to get worse!

senseless

Brown out this morning like 6AM mactan. There will probably be another around noon. 3x brown outs per day where as it use to only be 1!!

They just do it so they have an excuse to increase electricity prices. It really makes cebu look bad that they can't keep the lights on. What is this, Baghdad?

Edited by senseless

I could tell you why it's happening, but you would not believe me like before. Expect it to get worse!

I know there is a power shortage, but what could change so much in just a 1 weeks time period?

Last week there was no brownouts. This week we have had at least 3 or 4 long brownouts.

Did everyone just start using alot more power in the last week resulting in brownouts?

Hey, you can call me stupid, but I just don't understand how everything can change that much within a couple of days (unless one of there big power plants just broke down sometime this week).

shadow

I know there is a power shortage, but what could change so much in just a 1 weeks time period?

Last week there was no brownouts. This week we have had at least 3 or 4 long brownouts.

Did everyone just start using alot more power in the last week resulting in brownouts?

Hey, you can call me stupid, but I just don't understand how everything can change that much within a couple of days (unless one of there big power plants just broke down sometime this week).

We live in Valencia, where a lot of the power comes from. This week is fiesta week here, so the whole Visayas region has to suffer along with us! The boom box has to draw at least a million megawatts.

:ROFLMAO:

Larry in Dumaguete/Valencia

JohnFromTexas

I feel lucky... we had one the other day which I thought was due to weather as it occured during an electrical storm otherwise no problems.. hope I don't jinx us :ROFLMAO: