Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

Slingbox service

USMC-Retired

http://www.directsattv.com/directv/premier_package.html

The link listed above is the package you will receive. That is 256 channels with 40 movie channels. Plus two adult channels. It is a real neat concept. You can record your shows pause your shows or just play them as a stream. You have an onscreen remote and program guide just like you had direct tv.

I play mine now as a stream on a 1MB connection. I then stream them to my TV.

So what is the catch. Not cheap people at 70.00 a month. The package alone cost over 60.00 from direct TV so do not think I am making money. It is just something I will offer if anyone is interested. I will be in Talisay tomorrow for anyone that wants to see it work. If you are interested then please respond or PM me. To get this in HD you need 4MB connection or better. These stream at 378 to 724MB and are exceptional quality.

• Like 3

mpt1947

I will be - maybe - be interested after the wedding. We are talking about getting a HDTV - but we have a lot of other stuff to get too - it does not sound like a bad price for all you get plus the friendly support

So I will contact you in late December Early January

Thank You Sir

samatm

Hi Tim, You will be in Talisay Thursday? Are you an agent for this service? 70 x 12 = $840 Wow yups thats a chunk o change.

USMC-Retired

Yes if we get more people I can lower the price. I need 5 people to drop the price.

However unless I have enough people I have server space internet costs and then direct TV costs.

If you want to see it work I will be there on Thursday tomorrow. Watching minority report right now. HBO channel 515.

It loads so fast you almost channel surf. Loving it... Screw finding online streams.

senseless

Yes if we get more people I can lower the price. I need 5 people to drop the price.

However unless I have enough people I have server space internet costs and then direct TV costs.

If you want to see it work I will be there on Thursday tomorrow. Watching minority report right now. HBO channel 515.

It loads so fast you almost channel surf. Loving it... Screw finding online streams.

What is the service? a2btv or something like that? Or is it something you're running yourself?

Don't forget that direct tv also requires that you to have a contract period. And if you're hosting this out of your home in the US you need to make sure you have ample upload bandwidth. Most DSL providers only offer 768kpbs to 1mbit (upload). So unless you're on fios or something [fiber service] like that (another couple hundred a month) you're only going to have one person at a time being able to watch.

Also, if you're not streaming a 1 to 1 ratio.. Meaning.. 1 direct tv service per user, then you're in violation of the direct tv contract.. (which means you need a dish and box for each user additional boxes on the same dish would be violation of the contract)

Slingboxes have a tendency to overheat. Mine only lasted for a few months before it went belly up. Hopefully they fixed the overheating issues with the newer models.

I'm not sure what you meant by 'finding online streams'. There are only 4 places I know of to go for [usa] shows. Hulu (which carries most everything), nbc (shows not on hulu), cbs (shows not on hulu), and then netflix for video streaming. HBO offers online streaming but i've never used it as they've never had anything but 10 year old movies and crappy series. Band of brothers I think was the last only thing I watched on HBO.

Personally I wouldn't pay the 70 a month even if I was in the US wanting service to my house. Internet is the future. Free with ads [since if you're reading this you already have internet] vs 70$/mo with ads. It's kind of a no-brainer.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 3

USMC-Retired

How I accomplish it is not for discussion. I can demo this for anyone. However I am not going to pay for your subscription to Direct TV. Hence the cost.

It has ample pipe on the US side and ample boxes. It is Direct TV with the menu and all.

People pay this in the states all day. So while I watch the Sunday Ticket you watch Hulu or one of those. Plus DVR and fast forward and pause live TV. Just like home.

Never a worry just tune and go. Like changing my TV in the US.

Edited by Norseman
  • Like 1

senseless

You don't need DVR if everything is on demand (e.g. click play on the internet?)? For instance, caprica (BSG spin off) and stargate universe just had new episodes released today. I can watch them whenever I want by clicking play. But I'm currently watching a new show this season called 'Running Wilde'. So I'll just watch them later when I get done with this (whenever I want). Watching shows on the US time zone when they're on you're going to be watching TV at 5AM-10AM everyday?

I always keep forgetting about the sports nuts willing to pay hundreds of dollars to watch people run around and that the content isn't available online in most cases. :evan_iliadis: Go team! I suppose its worth it for them if they can justify it to themselves. Speaking of which, you might have better luck selling the same service from the UK for all the UK soccer and formula 1 nuts. (UK based direct tv service).

I just can't understand the logic of it.

Edited by senseless

USMC-Retired

I understand for just viewing shows there are service Hulu and Fanbox and Networks through a VPN. I recommend that if you want to just view shows. It is cheaper.

This is a service. If I can get 5 members then the price will drop to 62.50. Exactly what it costs me. I am just trying to give people choices.

There are other cheaper choices and for people that I can not help with a personal touch. I will turn them on those. Or even for the people that just want it for a cheaper price. I already have given a member in Manila the other service provider info so he can test it. Though the price is not that much cheaper. Tech support operates during the daylight hours in the states.

The cheapest I have found is 55 dollars. Just remember at 2pm in the PH is 2am US.

• Like 1

samatm

I understand for just viewing shows there are service Hulu and Fanbox and Networks through a VPN. I recommend that if you want to just view shows. It is cheaper.

This is a service. If I can get 5 members then the price will drop to 62.50. Exactly what it costs me. I am just trying to give people choices.

There are other cheaper choices and for people that I can not help with a personal touch. I will turn them on those. Or even for the people that just want it for a cheaper price. I already have given a member in Manila the other service provider info so he can test it. Though the price is not that much cheaper. Tech support operates during the daylight hours in the states.

The cheapest I have found is 55 dollars. Just remember at 2pm in the PH is 2am US.

Tim,

what are the initial setup fees and contract length? What are the system and bandwidth requirements?

USMC-Retired

This is month to month prepaid cancel anytime. The equipment is owned. You are out of pocket the cost of subscription no more.

The nice thing about slingbox it adjusts for your bandwidth. On my Iphone I can stream using the edge network. Quality is not the best however it is there.

I recommend at least 1MB. It will load like you are at home changing channels. My pipe back home is symmetrical 8MB up and 8MB down. This giving you the faster time to get to a new channel.

Edited by Norseman

tigerllc74

This is month to month prepaid cancel anytime. The equipment is owned. You are out of pocket the cost of subscription no more.

The nice thing about slingbox it adjusts for your bandwidth. On my Iphone I can stream using the edge network. Quality is not the best however it is there.

I recommend at least 1MB. It will load like you are at home changing channels. My pipe back home is symmetrical 8MB up and 8MB down. This giving you the faster time to get to a new channel.

Tim:

Just for clarification...

Does this include DVR just for me to control??

How much more for HD service ?? Or how much is HD Direct TV slingbox ??

I found few guys in USA offering Slingbox world wide for $99/mo, SD, month to month. A2BTV is same plus initial setup.

But I would rather support your effort in PI.

USMC-Retired

HD service requires a 4MB line. I really would not think it will work well here.

DVR is controled on your remote and stored on the server for later viewing

WOW the price for what I offer is about half the price of ABTV. Crazy however they are doing exactly what I do and it is legal.

broden

i know i'd be seriously interested in this if i were over there right now

The Mason

I tested out the service Norseman is offering and it works just as he says it does. The picture quality was excellent, I could choose from hundreds of channels, and it was very easy to set up.

Even though it works very well, its not worth the cost to me. The only benefit to it for me would be watching US sporting events live. Personally, I'm happy using BitTorrent to download the US TV shows that I want to see. I can also download NFL games from BitTorrent if there is a game I really want to see.

• Like 2

sjp

Tim, I will be living 6 months in Philippines and 6 months in Canada. Can I use your service while I am in Canada and then use it when I am in the Philippines. Is there a box that needs to be connected to your computer or is it just a program.