Sign in to follow this  
David_LivinginTalisay

Unwanted Babies

David_LivinginTalisay

http://www.getrealphilippines.com/agr-disagr/unwanted_babies.html

90 million plus 1.5 million unwanted babies every year

07 January 2009

binyag.jpg

There are about 3 million pregnancies in the Philippines every year, and half of them are unwanted, according to a UN population report. That's about 1.5 million souls born every year who are considered burdens. The obvious solution -- the implementation of measures to curb population growth -- is not quite a straightforward undertaking in a society dominated by a Roman Catholic Church officialdom that practices a particularly medieval flavour of dogmatism.

For most countries, the problem has become quite simple. If there are too many mouths to feed and you only rake in so much, then you need to either rake in more, or reduce your commitments (such as runaway production of those mouths to feed).

A lot of societies find the first option -- to rake in more -- a bit challenging.

So the choice is pretty clear as this sign from a Malawi health clinic shows:

malawi.jpg

• Like 1

udonthani

I don't believe for a minute that half of the 3 million pregnancies in the Philippines every year are 'unwanted' by the parents, like the UN report says. They might be 'undesirable', they might be 'inconvenient', in the sense that the family might not be able to afford another child, and they know it, but they're not 'unwanted'.

• Like 2

Cary

I agree with Udonthani. Most pregnancies that fall in this category were the result of the boy friend and girl friend getting hot and heavy and a short time later she gives him the news. I have seen many families here, mostly poor with 2-3 children and the mother is expecting another one, beaming with joy over the upcoming birth. How they take care of the baby, thats a different story. But virtually all of the expected parents I have seen can't wait to have the next child into their family.

smokey

well i dont know of many foreigners who came here looking to have a baby, so i am pretty sure its a local thing... my baby is now 22 and my diaper days are done... i do wish there was a way to make life better for all but it is not... One of the problems here that i hear is if a girl cant find a foreigner husband at least she can have a foreigner baby which they think will be white skin and become a movie star and take care of mom and dad and everyone will live happy ever after.

Edited by robert51

udonthani

I've actually had total strangers more or less coming up to me in malls and more or less asking me to get them pregnant, and not especially caring whether I disapear in this aircraft vapour trail moments after the deed is done. I think the blue eyes 'help' there.

when I've been with girlfriends, there's sometimes been banter between them and shopgirls, when the server has joked, 'hey, he's blue eye do you mind if I borrow him for a while and make a baby?'

it's really deep seated all this. They want to go forth and multiply.

• Like 1

David_LivinginTalisay

I am a 'Brit' married to a Filipina, after getting a Divorce from my British Wife of over 20 Years. I had a Son and a Daughter from that 1st Marriage.

I chose to have a 'Vasectomy' as I had done my bit to populate the world. By Philippine standards, I was wealthy yet made a positive step to stick with just 1 x son and 1 x daughter.

The 'Urologist' giving me an 'interview' prior to undertaking the quick and simple 'Vasectomy' surgical procedure, asked me this -

"What if there was to be an accident (God forbid), in which your son and you daughter died. Would you not want to have some more children?"

I answered with :-

"If I have an accident in my car, and it is totalled, finished; but my comprehensive insurance, can give me another brand new car, the same make and model, if I wish.

If I lost my Children, they can never be replaced (cloning does not exist yet). They are unique individuals that I love most dearly. Trying to 'replace' them would be an 'insult' to the life of my son and daughter! To the things we did together and experienced life together. I would not want to forget them and focus on a new life. They will live on in my heart and in my memories. I do not want any 'replacements".

The Urologist thought that was a good answer and agreed I could have the Vasectomy. I received the Letter giving me the Date, the Place (St. Peter's Hospital, Chertsy) and the time, 2pm). I had the day off work and was having breakfast and the phone rang. It was the Hospital asking me why I was not there for my Vasectomy? I told them I was scheduled for 2pm according to the letter sent by the Hospital Administration. It must be a mistake, we have you scheduled for 9am - how soon can you get here!

I was at the Hospital 30 mins later, and finished another 45 minutes later, and back home just after. After 2 months and Semen Sample it was confirmed no Sperm, so firing 'Blanks' confirmed, and could stop using alternative Contraception methods.

I was the eldest of a Family of 5. My Father came from a Family of 14 (the 'Pill' did not exist back then).

In the UK, with its National Health Service and National Insurance, there is not the problem of being able to afford Children. They get FREE Health and Education and even Housing and allowances if necessary. Yet myself and many thousands of others, voluntarily elect to have a Vasectomy, as a responsible, permanent solution to not bringing unwanted children into the World.

I see the Niece of my wife, pregnant with Child #4. She has no house of her own, and the 'Father' of her children is living with parents in a 'Nippa' Hut, and has no job. They can not afford the 1st Child, to provide him the milk, the food, the cost of medical treatment if he gets sick. Yet they now have 3 others to also look after.

I asked my wife's niece, "Why have more babies, when you cant afford to take care of them and raise them properly. Why don't you insist your 'husband' use a 'condom'?

She answered "Don't like, Sex not feel the same with rubber johnny".

5 minutes of Pleasure, for a lifetime of 'financial pain'. - was it worth it?

Jess Bartone

I don't believe for a minute that half of the 3 million pregnancies in the Philippines every year are 'unwanted' by the parents, like the UN report says. They might be 'undesirable', they might be 'inconvenient', in the sense that the family might not be able to afford another child, and they know it, but they're not 'unwanted'.

.....it's really deep seated all this. They want to go forth and multiply.

Mr. Whippy, it seems we have an axe to grind between us old friend, but on this matter I agree with you wholeheartedly.

David, you love all this copy and paste stuff, must have really hurt when html was disabled... I have tried to be patient with you and actually voted up your reputation many times... who do you think got you out of the red and well into the green?

But this latest case of you jumping on the bandwagon is insufferable... to openly agree that bastard children are unwanted is just that, jumping on someone else's bandwagon. Open your eyes David, look around, these babies, whilst initially causing some shame or at least discomfort in front of the neighbours when born to single mothers, or "inconvenient" to married couples with an already large family, are as far as I can see universally loved and cherished.

Unplanned, unexpected, maybe so, but rarely, if ever, "unwanted".

• Like 2

Cary

Jesse;

Correct. David is free to call these babies unwanted. From what I've seen and i am seeing almost on a daily basis here in Manila is a mother married or not, I don't know but they seem happy as they are expecting their next.

Mr. Whippy, it seems we have an axe to grind between us old friend, but on this matter I agree with you wholeheartedly.

David, you love all this copy and paste stuff, must have really hurt when html was disabled... I have tried to be patient with you and actually voted up your reputation many times... who do you think got you out of the red and well into the green?

But this latest case of you jumping on the bandwagon is insufferable... to openly agree that bastard children are unwanted is just that, jumping on someone else's bandwagon. Open your eyes David, look around, these babies, whilst initially causing some shame or at least discomfort in front of the neighbours when born to single mothers, or "inconvenient" to married couples with an already large family, are as far as I can see universally loved and cherished.

• Like 2

Cary

Another thing David;

You are correct as you said;

I asked my wife's niece, "Why have more babies, when you cant afford to take care of them and raise them properly. Why don't you insist your 'husband' use a 'condom'?

5 Minutes is not worth it, but that does not make the baby unwanted. it makes the baby unplanned. It makes the parents irresponsible. But again it does not make the baby unwanted. As I said my wife and I are taking care of her two oldest nieces. They don't know their father nor do they want to. They have been practically raised by my wife and me and as I also said we are looking into adoption. Their births not planned per se but believe me David they are very wanted and loved. There is a difference.

The Mason

5 minutes of pleasure? That's the best evidence I've seen yet that sex education is badly needed in the Philippines. Somebody is just not doing it right.

Bet_Busta

5 minutes of pleasure? That's the best evidence I've seen yet that sex education is badly needed in the Philippines. Somebody is just not doing it right.

A man's perception is a reflection of oneself

Headshot

Now, lets discuss the stupid UN report that claims that half the babies born in the Philippines are unwanted. That is a fairly arrogant presumption, I would think. Certainly, it has nothing to do with reality.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

David_LivinginTalisay

NB: It is not me sying these babies are 'unwanted', I was Quoting an article that I gave the URL of, so go post a comment to that Forum if you don't agree!

It was apparently the United Nations that was coming out with such statement and I have found it: FYI:-

Logo_AA_web3.jpg

Home >> Daily News >> Philippines News >> Environment >> Philippines warned of fast increasing population

NEWS UPDATES19 November 2009

Philippines warned of fast increasing population

The United Nations has reiterated its warning to countries with rapid population growth such as the Philippines to adopt reproductive-health policies to prevent their populations from suffering a harsher impact of disasters linked to climate change, local daily Business Mirror reported.

The UN Population Fund launched on Wednesday the "State of the World Population" report highlighting women, mostly in poor and developing countries, that it said are the "most vulnerable to suffer from the impact of climate change because they make up the larger share of agricultural work force and do not have much access to income-earning opportunities than men."

As the growth of population, economies and consumption outpaces the Earth's capacity to adjust, climate change could become much more extreme and conceivably catastrophic. Population dynamics tell one part of a larger, more intricate story about the way some countries and people have pursued development and defined progress and about how others have had little to say in the decisions that affect their lives," stated the UN World Population Report.

Suneeta Mukherjee, UNFP country representative, said the impact of climate change is apparent and has the potential to reverse the gains in the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) that seek to halve global poverty by 2015.

"Women are disproportionately vulnerable to the impacts of climate change. Drought and erratic rainfall force women to work harder to secure food, water and energy for their homes," said Mukherjee in her speech at the launch of the UN report at the Heritage Hotel in Pasay.

She said the lingering debate on the passage of the controversial reproductive-health bill in the Philippines should be addressed by the government if the latter is to mitigate the impact of climate change on the vulnerable sector of the population.

"The issue of contraceptives is being debated in Congress, in the Church...[but] its not about sex or promiscuity, it's about being able to control your life. . .it's about human rights," said Mukherjee.

She noted the Philippines has an annual 3.4 million pregnancy cases, half of which are unplanned. Of the 1.7 million unplanned pregnancy cases, Mukherjee said one-third of them end up in unsafe abortion

The united Nations seem to be suggesting 1.7M pregnancies were 'not planned' .

That is NOT the same as unwanted, just unexpected!

However if some 566,600+ (1/3) of these pregnancies, end up in illegal abortions, it might be fair to say those un-borns were not 'wanted (assuming the UN have that facts and figures correct?).

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay

Cary

Correct. Unplanned does not equal unwanted. There is a difference.

Now, lets discuss the stupid UN report that claims that half the babies born in the Philippines are unwanted. That is a fairly arrogant presumption, I would think. Certainly, it has nothing to do with reality.

David_LivinginTalisay

Read my previous reply to this thread Jesse, I was Quoting something I read on a Pinnoy Forum/Blog, that gave the headline and got their information allegedly from some UN Report.

I think I have found such report and it looks like the UN got misquoted perhaps?

I related to my wifes Niece, that did try getting an illegal abortion! So does that suggest to you that she really wanted the baby, if she tried to get it aborted and failed!

That was what the UN Report was about! 1.7M unplanned pregnancies each year and 1/3 of those seek such underground, illegal abortions.

many, many thousands of other families, also in the same situation?

What 'bandwagon' am I jumping on her Jesse?

I agree that unplanned pregnancies happen, and attempting to get them aborted by dangerous, illegal methods is 'insufferable'.

Here is where I think the 'crux' of the matter on unplanned pregnancies lays:-

Before I could get married to Sha-Sha in 2002 after my divorce was finalised in 2001, we (and all others wanting to get married) had to attend compulsory Family Planning Seminar.

Many (perhaps almost half?) of the young Filipina girls (as most looked too young to be called 'women') attending such Family Planning Seminar, seemed to be pregnant! This information on Family Planning (against the doctrine of the RC Church), suggested that it better to use Contraceptives, than bring Children into the world that they cant really afford. Also to have Family Planning to give the desired 2 years separation between the Children,

This information and advice was coming TOO LATE, and should be taught in SCHOOL!

But that is unlikely to happen due to pressure from RC Church, but there is lot more mention of Contraceptives on the TV, now, than in 2002 when we got married, so perhaps things are slowly changing for the better.

Jesse, I found you comments towards me, rather unwarranted and hurtful!

You open your eyes and read what I posted Jesse - it was a Quote, not my thoughts on the subject.

My thoughts, were reflecting the stupidity of Sha-Sha's Neice, getting pregnant almost immediately after delivering the baby, then repeating it twice more! To come out with a statement that she does not want the 'father' of her babies to use a 'condom' because it don't feel as nice, is rather irresponsible and selfish.

I told this Jim, the 'father' of her babies, "No Money in wallet, keep 'otin' in pocket!

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay