Sign in to follow this  
fredanna

WIN 7 SAFE?

fredanna

I bought a Compaq CQ40 during my visit there.......PC Express. I didn't like the pricing options of WIN7. "starter" "Basic" "Premium"

Any way this laptop is fast and even ona wireless link makes the best use with connectivity for nice surfing.

Back in the USA for three weeks and WAAAMO I get a notice from "Microsoft Essentials Security" that I have malware or Trojan32/win. I CANNOT get on hte internet.

I go to another computer in the shop and find out that my computer has been "HIJACKED".......so GOOGLing around there is software to delete the undeletable file "HOTFIX"

This was a false message from MicroSoft Essentials Security, which is part of WIN 7. If you went ahead with the scans and repairs your security would be breached and you would download more spyware and malware during this "FIX". Really PISSED that my anti-virus didn't catch this!!!!

OK I get to delete HOTFIX EXE and that works until you reboot the computer. The infected computer goes back out and downloads the file again.

I have Shield Deluxe 2010 in all PC's. Supposedly a very good anti-virus software. I send my plea for help to Shield Deluxe and they reply "Due to the severity of your problem call this number" They say that a Mico$oft TRAINED TECHICIAN needs to remote access your computer and fix the 347 serious errors in the whatchamacallit directory. It's gonna cost you $199.95USD to fix. I call the provided number after the secure exchange of my CC number and some dude from India is in my computer for 1 1/2 hours cleaning, fixing, repairing my laptop. The outcome is a much faster computer and a guarantee that there will not be anymore problems for 1yr.!!! I DID notice that he used software that was quickly and completely deleted from my PC.

CC Cleaner.....I guess for the registry and a very thorough UN-installer called REVO. I would see how he was cleaning the files and REVO showed more locations of remains of the software he was trying to delete from my system.

I thought that WIN 7 was supposed to be more secure! The tech said that WIN7 would not allow the computer to get infected but it would slow it down.

What are your thoughts?

I AXED him how I got infected. He asked if I use LimeWire for music downloads and he deleted it. LimeWire or ARES and something about UTORRENTS....what ever that is. Even with virus software running when you go to these sites and you start a search you open oyur computer to viruses.

What say about that statement??? Computers gurus??????

That's my story

FRED

• Like 1

USMC-Retired

What a mess. You paid alot for that I know that. However with no other alternative you do what you must.

Win7 is a very safe operating system. However like all nuts somebody will crack it.

Also you installed these viruses or they were activated by you somehow. No operating system can prevent such installations. (for PC)

Edited by Norseman

USMC-Retired

The reason he said it is safe maybe because all viruses from Vista and XP will not operate on Windows 7. The operating system overall is safe and nothing to lose sleep over.

cdpino

uTorrents in a shareware protocol, implemented though many (Vuze most commonly these days) that let people access a peer to peer network of sites that let you download illegal free copies of movies, tv, music, p*orn, etc. Many of these sites also have malware of many many kinds. Many websites also have such software and also many cons that promise you something for which you get viruses instead.

I have had 100% success using the Microsoft Security Celestials software and have been screwed by all the competing commercial brands (Mcefe, Norton, etc.). Had you been running the real thing, you would not have been hacked IMHO.

If there is a next time I would encourage you to call the "Geek Squad". They have desks in Best Buy stores and also independent offices. They deal with you face to face and speak Enoighs as their first or second language usually.

• Like 1

T.S.

I believe that "Shield Deluxe 2010" is a "fake antivirus" malware thats slows down your computer and gives fake infection popups to get you to spend money on their "trained tecnician" services like you just did. :)

fredanna

I believe that "Shield Deluxe 2010" is a "fake antivirus" malware thats slows down your computer and gives fake infection popups to get you to spend money on their "trained tecnician" services like you just did. :)

You may be on to something my friend. It was strange that this happens in my computer and I go to "Their Trained MS" guy and $200USD later my computer is fixed. He kept asking if this virus or malware appeared on any of my home PC's?? and I said no! It seems to target WIN 7 coz of the Microsoft Essentials thing which is in WIN 7 only.

I'll be searching for another Virus software.

And for the other poster it is Microsoft ESSENTIALS Security, you typed Celestials.

FREd

cdpino

And their popup ads on on many web sites - often the same as those which do a fake "registry check" and tell you to download their products to speed up your computer.

cdpino

And for the other poster it is Microsoft ESSENTIALS Security, you typed Celestials.

FREd

My typing sucks and my proofreading is just as bad .... but the link was accurate and I suspect you and anyone else reading knew what I meant FREd.

T.S.

You may be on to something my friend. It was strange that this happens in my computer and I go to "Their Trained MS" guy and $200USD later my computer is fixed. He kept asking if this virus or malware appeared on any of my home PC's?? and I said no! It seems to target WIN 7 coz of the Microsoft Essentials thing which is in WIN 7 only.

FREd

Malwarebytes is free software that should hopefully remove that Shield Deluxe 2010 stuff from what I read.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html

If you really want an additional antivirus on top of Microsoft Security Essentials, 3 popular real and free ones are AVG, Avira, and Avast. Choose one of them. I only run Microsoft Security Essentials full time now along with an couple random adware/spyware scans now and then.

AVG Free Edition

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

Avira AntiVir Personal Free

http://download.cnet.com/Avira-AntiVir-Personal-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10322935.html

Avast Free Antivirus

http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html

Edited by T.S.

cdpino

FREd

Malwarebytes is free software that should hopefully remove that Shield Deluxe 2010 stuff from what I read.

http://download.cnet...4-10804572.html

If you really want an additional antivirus on top of Microsoft Security Essentials, 3 popular real and free ones are AVG, Avira, and Avast. Choose one of them. I only run Microsoft Security Essentials full time now along with an couple random adware/spyware scans now and then.

AVG Free Edition

http://download.cnet...4-10320142.html

Avira AntiVir Personal Free

http://download.cnet...4-10322935.html

Avast Free Antivirus

http://download.cnet...4-10019223.html

Most AV packages can't install when others are there as well.

T.S.

Most AV packages can't install when others are there as well.

That is probably true. I have never tried it. I have had a really good experience with just Microsoft Security Essentials so far and recommend trusting that.

If you see a window telling you that you are infected, close all web browsers and see if the warning is still there. Many are just internet popups trying to scam you. :)

Cipro

Reinstall Win7, and install AVG free. Get an external drive and setup backups. Don't install any other security software, when it comes to AV, more is more, not better.

EDIT:

If you want to know what your AV does when you go to an infected site, go to eicar.org and download the testfile. It's a harmless COM that will trigger most AV software, as a test.

MORE EDIT:

Probably it's "more safe" because MS is going to keep it patched and it implements the priv elevator thingie.

Edited by locktite

fredanna

I'll try thew suggestion of MALWARE Bytes coz that was one the "TECH" used to start fixing my laptop. He didn't think I was watching all of the stuff he was doing. In fact there is a YOUTUBE clip about 5:40 long that explains pretty much what this guy did for $200USD.

I have been a little more educated. Microsoft Essentials Security is a free virus software from M$ and many say that it is very good.........for free. Avast was another good free antivirus.

Probably why my other computers didn't get this malware is coz they do not have Microsoft Essentials Security in them..............just Shield Deluxe.

Interesting events

Fred

katerry

try avira and then if u have virus... u can inject it with trojan virus remover.. its a really really good antivirus cleaner...

Balintawak

just as were talking about Win 7. If anyone wants it, you can have win7 manager incl key. Its good to have for improving the system.

If anyone needs, I also have win7 enterprise with key huhu. Just drop by with a dvd