David_LivinginTalisay

David_LivinginTalisay

Barili

2094846281f65deb7584yv6.jpg

Mantayupan Falls in Barili, Cebu

photo by Arnold Carl – Flickr

QUICK NAVIGATION

Introduction

Barili is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Cebu, Philippines. It is bounded on the south by the municipality of Dumanjug; on the north by the municipality of Aloguinsan; on the east by the municipalities of Carcar and Sibonga; and on the west by the Tañon Strait.

History

The word Barili comes from the name of a local grass called balili. The municipality was founded in 1632, though the parish of Barili was established in 1614. A cross was planted by Spaniards led by Captain Juan Juarado at their arrival at 1602, and still exists today.

Records in the Cebu Archdiocesan Chancery show that the parish of Barili was established in 1614. It gradually evolved into a town, now the Municipality of Barili. In those days, as history provides, Barili was one of the most coveted towns in the island because of its fertile soil where excellent tobacco thrived. During that time, a town was run by an encomendiero, a person responsible for the protection and welfare of the town. In 1632, Doña Catalina Jiminez, the encomendiera died. When word about her death reached Captain Juan Fernandez de Leon, a Manila resident, he files a petition to become the next encomendiero of Barili. And on November 5, 1633, his petition was granted. In 1898, the Americans defeated the Spaniards in the Battle of Manila Bay and 400 years of Spanish rule ended. Under the new regime,primary education became universal and every Barili child was obliged to go to school. On December 8, 1941, Pearl Harbor was bombed and World War II broke out. In Barili, the Japanese Imperial Forces landed in Japitan on April 10, 1942. They established their barracks at Barili Central School. After three years of Japanese occupation was restored and independence came to Barili on July 4, 1946.

Economy

The economic output of Barili is mainly rice, maize, bananas, and coconuts.

phlocatorcebubarilikl8.png

Barili is situated in the southwestern coast of Cebu and is about 61 kilometers from Cebu City. It is bounded on the north by the municipality of Aloguinsan, on the east by the municipalities of Carcar and Sibonga, on the south by the municipality of Dumanjug and on the west by Tañon Strait.

How to Get There

Barili can be reached by public buses or V-Hires (vans) from the Cebu South Terminal in Cebu City with an estimated travel time of about 1 1/2 hours.

Things to Do and See

• Matayupan Falls
  • Bolocboloc Spring
  • Paradise Valley Mountain Resort
  • Sayaw Beach
  • Caves Exploration

Political Subdivisions

Barili is composed of 42 barangays, namely: Azucena, Bagakay, Balao, Bolocboloc, Budbud, Bugtong Kawayan, Cabcaban, Campangga, Dakit, Giloctog, Guibuangan, Giwanon, Gunting, Hilasgasan, Japitan, Cagay, Kalubihan, Kangdampas, Candugay, Luhod, Lupo, Luyo, Maghanoy, Maigang, Malolos, Mantalongon, Mantayupan, Mayana, Minolos, Nabunturan, Nasipit, Pancil, Pangpang, Paril, Patupat, Poblacion, San Rafael, Santa Ana, Sayaw, Tal-ot, Tubod and Vito.

Population

According to the 2000 census, Barili has a population of 57,764 people in 11,164 households.

Links

Things to Do and See in Barili

• Matayupan Falls

• Bolocboloc Spring

Tilapia Fishing Ponds (unofficial addition by me!)

• Paradise Valley Mountain Resort (this where me & Sha-Sha got married!)

• Sayaw Beach

• Caves Exploration

Tilapia Fishing Ponds

When Sha-Sha's sister Marciana was visiting Cebu from Hong Kong, when we went to the Families House in Barili, they suggested going towards Boloc-boloc Springs, but 100m before there is a relatively new Fish Ponds that are fed from these natural springs, and stocked with Tilapia.

240px-Fresh_tilapia.jpg

Governor Garcia has developed the area into a tourist destination for Matayupan Falls and Bolocboloc Springs

To get to Boloc-boloc Springs, take the 1st Road to the left on reaching Barili from Carcar. Follow road through, past 'Flyover' Hardware/Building supplies store, and over the narrow planked bridge taking you into the countryside and away from Barili Town center. Look for the Signpost on the right with Gwen Garcia mentioned on it, announcing direction to Barangay Campangga where Bolocboloc Springs and further on Matayupan Falls

There is now a Carpark, 100m before Bolocboloc Springs

04092010032.jpg 04092010030.jpg

I think it was Php10 Entrance Fee.

04092010027.jpg 04092010026.jpg

Not sure there was any charge for the simple Bamboo Pole, with fixed length of fishing line with a hook on the end. They supply the worms and will put on the hook for you.

Basically you choose likely spot from several ponds, dangle your line, jiggle it about, and 'strike' when you feel a bite, and lift it out of the water.

They will give a bucket to put the good size Tilapia in, and put the smaller ones back into the pond, so they can grow bigger.

If you want to take home what you caught, it cost Php100/Kilo

For Php120/Kilo they will prepare and cook the selected Tilapia, and serve with other dishes at very reasonable prices.

Grande bottle of San Miguel Beer (Red Horse Php50?) and Coke also available and Water too.

In one of the Cottages for Hire, there is Karaoke, and also a Barbers Chair!

04092010028.jpg

I took the opportunity to get my hair cut (Php70) whilst i was there. Most 'scenic' place I have ever had my hair cut.

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
  • Like 4

Erik, I know Guido went there a couple of months ago and came back with some big ones.

• Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

The Forum is messing up Message Posts - no way is it WSIWYG Editor (What You See Is What You Get)

Looks fine when composing the Message, but looks screwed up with HTML 'Tags' showing (for and [/size].

Do a 'Preview and that shows different from what is in the 'Edit' frame!

I was going to add more about making a Day Trip to Barili more complete, by adding additional information on Boloc-boluc Springs, Mantayupan Falls,

This following information was NOT in BOLD or Italaic

http://explorecebu.c...antayupan-falls

Have you ever seen real waterfalls aside from pictures and illustrations? Does excitement aroused inside you whenever you heard the word "waterfalls"? Satisfy your curiosity and visit one of the exemplary gifts from heaven. Be amazed on the towering majesty of Mantayupan Falls.

Mantayupan Falls hold the record as the Cebu's tallest waterfalls yet remained as humble as ever and far from commercialization. While on the process of development, enjoy the breathtaking view of the splashing falls and the cooling and refreshing waters for a swim.

Mantayupan Falls is much, much higher in terms of heights than in the famous Kawasan Falls in its three-cascade falls. From the top, the water falls majestically to the ground around 200 feet. Other minor falls measures 90 feet from the top. The sight and the sound of gushing waters make your waterfall experience a genuine.

Barili is proud to declare it as the apple of its eyes; the tallest waterfalls in the entire province of Cebu: the Mantayupan Falls. It is located in the southern part of the municipality, in the humble barangay of Campangga.

Mantayupan Falls is one of the well-preserved Cebu's attractions. Since few people have yet discovered it, it remained raw and untouched. The kind of experience you expect from the wild nature is what you can see from there.

From the entrance, a fee for 10.00 per head is very affordable. If you bring your own vehicle, parking area for the safety of your cars or motorcycles is proved of course with fee: 10.00 for motorcycles and 20.00 for car.

The entire area is rocky, narrow and slippery but a cemented pathway was added to the site for easy trekking. The pavement is not as long as that of the Kawasan Falls. Regrettably, it is not advisable for people who are using wheel chairs for it may breed further injuries. Though it's worth a visit but it is not the trouble.

Once you're inside, it seemed that you are in a kind of paradise, an enchanting place. No modern amenities, just pure simplicity and modest lifestyle. You will surely forget the stresses and burden of the monotonous life in the city. A good place for vacation with families and friends.

Pick-nick tables are available in the place. Rafts are also obtainable for the swimmers. The waters are very cold but so revitalizing, fresh from nature's best.

Governor Garcia developed the place into a tourist destination. But not much can be expected from there. Local residents frequently used the place as laundry area which very difficult to break off.

Mantayupan Falls is also being used to produce electricity in the locality and the source of irrigation in the nearby farms. It is not opened for public until people discovered the splendor of the tallest waterfalls.

So when you're planning to tour Cebu, this one should not be forgotten. Watching majestic and awesome view of falling waters is once in a lifetime experience. Aside from the falls, one can visit other destinations of Barili such as the Bolocboloc Hot Springs and the Paradise Valley Mountain Resort.

How To Get There

From Cebu City, the ride by our own car is about one and a half hours. Take SRP to Talisay up to Carcar. Then take the mountainous road to Barili. Upon arriving at Barili Bus Stop, left-turn through town and the falls is just a distance away.

From Mactan International Airport, taxi is best way to reach Cebu South Terminal at Mandaue City via two bridges connecting Mactan and Cebu. At the terminal, you may choose whether a public busses or you can hire a private V-hire going to Barili. After reaching Barili, habal-habal (motorcycles) are willing to bring you to Barangay Campangga where Mantayupan Falls resides.

http://allbestofphil...01_archive.html

Mantayupan Falls at Cebu

<a class="timestamp-link" href="

http://allbestofphilippines.blogspot.com/2009/09/mantayupan-falls-at-cebu.html" rel="bookmark" title="permanent link" style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); text-decoration: none; "><abbr class="published" title="2009-09-18T14:19:00-07:00">2:19 PM</abbr>

One of the still undiscovered, well-preserved tourist spot of Cebu are those nature tripping for the water falls.

Mantayupan Falls is the one of the highest falls in Cebu where 61km away from Cebu City or a 1 ½ - 2hours trip and which is located at Barangay Campangga, Barili, Cebu. Cold but very refreshing water from falls is also best alternative nature trip after visiting some of the famous places of the province.

3551900672_505ec0f7cb_b.jpg

Photo by:

Rex C

3500652828_0890f6b477_b.jpg

Photo by:

pinkgirlash20

447716903_ba18053169_o.jpg

Photo by:

uolrahc

The falls is use to generate electricity for local residents and being used to irrigate the farm fields nearby.

3667714981_5d268122c2_b.jpg

Photo by:

mike2922000

Aside from Mantayupan falls the town of Barili has also known in Bolocboloc Spring, Paradise Valley Mountain Resort, Sayaw Beach and Caves Exploration which it will makes your adventure trip memorable.

3077135978_e6d8e559e8_b.jpg

Photo by:

Freudz

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
David_LivinginTalisay

Do tilapia fight much ? I am thinking of bringing my fly rod over

If a boy of 4 can hook a Tilapia and pull it out of the water, I would say that Tilapia are not much of 'fighting' fish! Same as my experience of fishing for Mackerel - you just need shiny 'lure' not even any 'bait' for them once you found the shoal. Not what you call 'Sport Fishing' more 'Food for the Table' Fishing, and damn tasty too!

@ Php100/Kilo it cheaper than most Fish you can buy in a Supermarket and 100% Fresh!

Tilapia is like catching perch or breem back in the USA. Great for kids. Although, Barilli is kind of far unless you are already within the area or planned to drivethorugh to see their other attractions.

There's actually a much closer place within Cebu if you just want to fish for Tilapia.

For pond fishing, there are three good places in Lilo-An. Only 30-45 minutes from Cebu City.

Was at Papa Kit's fish ponds in Liloan 2 weeks ago. It's a nice place and easy to find, close to the corner in Liloan by the Lighthouse. If you take the NRP it's on the left just about opposite the sports hall being built in Liloan. There are 7 ponds nicely laid out with easy access. Pond 7 is catch and release with some good sized fish - sea bass, bangus and others - that go for lures. The small ponds which are catch and take have plenty of bangus, tilapia and other fish. Easy to catch on basic dough bait. All the necessary gear is available for rent - proper rods and reels. Bangus fight pretty hard for their size. Fun place with good food available from the restuarant

post-909-025319400 1285600157_thumb.jpg

post-909-035000400 1285600183_thumb.jpg

post-909-023687800 1285600211_thumb.jpg

post-909-016750700 1285600231_thumb.jpg

post-909-075663200 1285600246_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
David_LivinginTalisay

Tilapia is like catching perch or breem back in the USA. Great for kids. Although, Barilli is kind of far unless you are already within the area or planned to drivethorugh to see their other attractions.

There's actually a much closer place within Cebu if you just want to fish for Tilapia.

For pond fishing, there are three good places in Lilo-An. Only 30-45 minutes from Cebu City.

BigRob,

You will notice I started this Thead about Bariril. not by mention of the Tilapia Fish Ponds, but mention of what other attractions Barili has to offer.

I was not suggesting anyone travel from Cebu to Barili, just to go Tilapia Fishing.

But is travelling back from Moalboal for example. might be worth a small detour to fish for lunch or to stock up the fridge /Freezer, as Php100/Kilo is not a bas price for Tilapia I think you will find?

Kawasan Falls is the known by many and yet is almost an another hours drive and a fair walk to experience Kawasan falls, yet many still visit.

Mantayupan Falls is 10-15 minutes from Barili, and holds the record as the Cebu's tallest waterfalls yet remained as humble as ever and far from commercialization.

Have you visited Mantayupan Falls at all BigRob?

If not and decide to do so, you now know you can combine some Talapia Fishing nearby.

Sorry I did not know about Tilapia Fishing in Liloan!

How come nobody bothered to 'share' that information to Members of this Forum until I post about Tilapia Fishing in Barili?

(PS: we discovered it owned by a 'Simbajon' - a family of Doctors and a Construction Engineer - who built our house, it his brother or Cousin or somebody who owns those Barili Fish Ponds)

Good info David, if i ever have any extra time when i am there, i will be happy to go there...I like your pictures too. how is the taste of those fish? that would be cool if they taste like perch too..and deep fried..in beer batter...yummm

David_LivinginTalisay

Was at Papa Kit's fish ponds in Liloan 2 weeks ago. It's a nice place and easy to find, close to the corner in Liloan by the Lighthouse. If you take the NRP it's on the left just about opposite the sports hall being built in Liloan. There are 7 ponds nicely laid out with easy access. Pond 7 is catch and release with some good sized fish - sea bass, bangus and others - that go for lures. The small ponds which are catch and take have plenty of bangus, tilapia and other fish. Easy to catch on basic dough bait. All the necessary gear is available for rent - proper rods and reels. Bangus fight pretty hard for their size. Fun place with good food available from the restuarant

Thanks for letting us know about Papa Kit's fish ponds in Liloan

What was the entrence fee prices to fish there and what price do the charge for Fish caught i) to take away and ii) for cooking to eat there?

Thanks for letting us know about Papa Kit's fish ponds in Liloan

What was the entrence fee prices to fish there and what price do the charge for Fish caught i) to take away and ii) for cooking to eat there?

I'm in Hong Kong right now - will have to double-check with my wife as she took care of the payments. But I think fishing the catch and release was 300 pesos and the catch and keep ponds 100 pesos, then extra for the rental of the rods and for bait. The fish prices I cannot recall exactly.

• 2 weeks later...
David_LivinginTalisay

med_gallery_5559_225_494638.jpg

U catch em Barilli

Erik (Fanboat), saw this picture you out in your Gallery!

I take it you been there then to take this photo of the place. How did it go, did you enjoy the place and catch any Tilapia (difficult NOT to?).

We did not get to Barili @ weekend, and next weekend we are in Bacolod.

Perhaps we going the following weekend, after Bacolod, and visiting the Beach resort of a BDO Manager @ SM 'Dennis Manigos' and may well go Tilapa Fishing as well?

David & Sha-Sha

Erik, I know Guido went there a couple of months ago and came back with some big ones.

we went there saturday with guido

gigi had lots of fun and caught 4 fish

tim and zol went with us too

i think tim had his first fight with zol...cause he hooked a big fish and released it to the shock of zol's eyes

i asked gigi why zol so mad...she replied filipino loves fish

med_gallery_5559_225_494638.jpg

U catch em Barilli

Erik (Fanboat), saw this picture you out in your Gallery!

I take it you been there then to take this photo of the place. How did it go, did you enjoy the place and catch any Tilapia (difficult NOT to?).

We did not get to Barili @ weekend, and next weekend we are in Bacolod.

Perhaps we going the following weekend, after Bacolod, and visiting the Beach resort of a BDO Manager @ SM 'Dennis Manigos' and may well go Tilapa Fishing as well?

David & Sha-Sha

it when really well

we were to late to take a dip in the waterfall,next time we will head out early

the fun part was showing gigi how to put the worm on the hook

i told her to drop the hook into the jar and wait till the worm bites the hook...she waited 5 minutes with no luck

so i gave in and picked a worm out of the jar and hooked it for her