Sign in to follow this  
Paul

As a member of this site, would you be interested in a group health insurance plan?

Group Health Policy Poll  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a group health plan, as a resident living in the Philippines?

• Yes, I would be interested.
    • Not sure, but I would like to see his offer.
    • No. I would not be interested.

A_Simple_Man

Not sure, but this might be an expensive group to insure.

:biggrin_01:

:evan_iliadis:

emoticon_cigarette.gif

thats-funny.gif I wonder if they drink coconut milk on paul.gif

samatm

please keep me informed. I would be very interested. Thanks

RetiredNavyGuy

Paul,

I will have TRICARE, but I am interested in options in case TRICARE goes south on me.

Paul

While I appreciate Headshot's point of view it would not be an issue for me.

I have no problem paying for medical expenses with my credit card, which I keep for just such an emergency, but I would sure like a health plan that reimbursed me for the bulk of my out of pocket expense AND kept an eye on the doctors to be sure they were not performing unnecessary and expensive procedures.

Yeah, I think most of us in the Philippines are used to how healthcare is paid for here, but I just want everyone to realize that this "insurance" may not work like what they are used to in their home countries. Even so, it still may be a good deal for a lot of people here.

Tricare is a foreign insurance (US military) and I don't know of any foreign insurance that is accepted by hospitals in the Philippines. If I am understanding Paul correctly, this would be a policy written specifically for use in the Philippines.

Yes, that is true, as I understand it.

Incidentally, for insurance not to be accepted at hospitals.... why do they offer PhilHealth?

cebubird

Since most doctors, pharmacies and hospitals won't accept health insurance as payment, how would this be different than the situation most people in the Philippines find themselves in with Tricare, where they have to pay the medical expenses up-front and then hope for some kind of reimbursement? Everybody should remember that things don't work here like they do "back home" (wherever that is). Health insurance doesn't work the way you are used to elsewhere.

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure Chong Hua will. I would imagine Cebu Doctor's Hospital would as well.

I will make it a point to address that concern, when he and I meet, though.

If anyone else has other questions / concerns about this idea, please feel free to post them here, or send them to me via PM.

I think you are mistaken. Chong Hua does NOT accept insurance (I asked), and Cebu Doctors Hospital is the same unless you are a member of Ultimatecare. Of course, maybe the lady in the finance office where I asked (at Chong Hua) just didn't know. If you have Ultimatecare and are admitted at CDU, Ultimatecare makes the up-front payment for you and then bills Tricare for you. Since Ultimatecare is located in the Cebu Doctors Hospital Administrative Building, they have a special relationship with CDH. I doubt that you could get such an arrangement through an off-site insurance company, but who knows?

I think you are talking apples and oranges here. You keep talking about your military insurance(tricare/ultimate care) Paul is talking about PRIVATE insurance and as i have paid hospital costs for mother-in-law, I know full well that they except insurance payments.

JohnFromTexas

Interested but need to see the details.

Lee From Cebu

Chong Hua accepts insurance I spent a week there last x-mas

sjp

I,m interested Paul I buy mine in Canada its around 50 Canadian a month for 5 million US coverage but I can only get 8 months a year coverage

Hey Lee, What company do you get that insurance from ?

I,m interested Paul

asawavaneza

I'm interested. Me + 3 dependents.

Steve the Beav

A_Simple_Man

I,m interested Paul I buy mine in Canada its around 50 Canadian a month for 5 million US coverage but I can only get 8 months a year coverage

That kind of money is in the ballpark of what I perceive as reasonable.

Because I got interested, after reading this thread, I clicked on one of the Google advertising links that I see at the top of this page. It reads: Global Health Insurance Plans Award-Winning Health Insurance For Expats. Get A Quote & Buy Online!

I have no idea if this link has anything to do with this thread but I applied for a quote and the numbers came back between US$3,000 and US$7,000 per year. If that is the money involved then I am not even close to interested.

From this self assessment I came to the realization that a group plan for this bunch is going to be a hard sell unless the price is really, really sweet.

TheMatrix

Careful...!

For some, health insurance will disable people from taking responsibility for their own health. Those that are insured often become

more reckless with their health because they have the comfort of knowing that they can easily go to the doctor if they become ill.

Don't allow health insurance to become a crutch, but to reserve it for only catastrophic needs such as car accidents, broken bones, etc.

Just my two centavos!

-

Edited by SteveMatrix
  • Like 1

aussiedon

Careful...!

For some, health insurance will disable people from taking responsibility for their own health. Those that are insured often become

more reckless with their health because they have the comfort of knowing that they can easily go to the doctor if they become ill.

Don't allow health insurance to become a crutch, but to reserve it for only catastrophic needs such as car accidents, broken bones, etc.

Just my two centavos!

"For some" I'm sure and I hope that, that is a very small number of policy holders.

-

JamesMusslewhite

While I appreciate Headshot's point of view it would not be an issue for me.

I have no problem paying for medical expenses with my credit card, which I keep for just such an emergency, but I would sure like a health plan that reimbursed me for the bulk of my out of pocket expense AND kept an eye on the doctors to be sure they were not performing unnecessary and expensive procedures.

Yeah, I think most of us in the Philippines are used to how healthcare is paid for here, but I just want everyone to realize that this "insurance" may not work like what they are used to in their home countries. Even so, it still may be a good deal for a lot of people here.

Tricare is a foreign insurance (US military) and I don't know of any foreign insurance that is accepted by hospitals in the Philippines. If I am understanding Paul correctly, this would be a policy written specifically for use in the Philippines.

My parents had a US health insurance police established for us in Austin, Texas, It covers my 15 year old son. It is accepted here at hospitals but cost $200 a month. It has not needed to be used, but it is worth ever cent in peace of mind.

Jeepney

Even as plans will work, for me to be 6 to 8 months a year in the Phillipines,

I would be interrested Paul, I would keep my Dutch insurance along with this,

but I would prefer to be double covered if needed, aspecially in the Phillipines!!!

digiteye

Paul, count me in for 2011