Sign in to follow this  
Paul

As a member of this site, would you be interested in a group health insurance plan?

Group Health Policy Poll  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in a group health plan, as a resident living in the Philippines?

• Yes, I would be interested.
    • Not sure, but I would like to see his offer.
    • No. I would not be interested.

Paul

LOL. The first Philippines forum with its own health plan. :evan_iliadis: :biggrin_01:

Headshot

Since most doctors, pharmacies and hospitals in the Philippines won't accept health insurance as payment, how would this be different than the situation most people find themselves in with Tricare here, where they have to pay the medical expenses up-front and then hope for some kind of reimbursement? Everybody should remember that things don't work here like they do "back home" (wherever that is). Health insurance doesn't work the way you are used to elsewhere.

Edited by Headshot
  • Like 1

Paul

Since most doctors, pharmacies and hospitals won't accept health insurance as payment, how would this be different than the situation most people in the Philippines find themselves in with Tricare, where they have to pay the medical expenses up-front and then hope for some kind of reimbursement? Everybody should remember that things don't work here like they do "back home" (wherever that is). Health insurance doesn't work the way you are used to elsewhere.

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure Chong Hua will. I would imagine Cebu Doctor's Hospital would as well.

I will make it a point to address that concern, when he and I meet, though.

If anyone else has other questions / concerns about this idea, please feel free to post them here, or send them to me via PM.

Edited by Admin

aussiedon

Since most doctors, pharmacies and hospitals won't accept health insurance as payment, how would this be different than the situation most people in the Philippines find themselves in with Tricare, where they have to pay the medical expenses up-front and then hope for some kind of reimbursement? Everybody should remember that things don't work here like they do "back home" (wherever that is). Health insurance doesn't work the way you are used to elsewhere.

I may be mistaken, but I am pretty sure Chong Hua will. I would imagine Cebu Doctor's Hospital would as well.

Yes Cebu Doctors do of course, thats the first question when being admitted.

Headshot

I will make it a point to address that concern, when he and I meet, though.

If anyone else has other questions / concerns about this idea, please feel free to post them here, or send them to me via PM.

I think you are mistaken. Chong Hua does NOT accept insurance (I asked), and Cebu Doctors Hospital is the same unless you are a member of Ultimatecare. Of course, maybe the lady in the finance office where I asked (at Chong Hua) just didn't know. If you have Ultimatecare and are admitted at CDU, Ultimatecare makes the up-front payment for you and then bills Tricare for you. Since Ultimatecare is located in the Cebu Doctors Hospital Administrative Building, they have a special relationship with CDH. I doubt that you could get such an arrangement through an off-site insurance company, but who knows?

Edited by Headshot

Paul

Okay. Well, I am glad you brought this up. I will make it a point to discuss it with him while we are talking about this.

Mik

Thanks anyway, but count me out. No insurance.

Headshot

Okay. Well, I am glad you brought this up. I will make it a point to discuss it with him while we are talking about this.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong and you can find places to use the insurance (as payment) if you decide to do it. I just know what kind of experiences Americans have had here trying to use Tricare insurance.

A_Simple_Man

While I appreciate Headshot's point of view it would not be an issue for me.

I have no problem paying for medical expenses with my credit card, which I keep for just such an emergency, but I would sure like a health plan that reimbursed me for the bulk of my out of pocket expense AND kept an eye on the doctors to be sure they were not performing unnecessary and expensive procedures.

Headshot

I have no problem paying for medical expenses with my credit card, which I keep for just such an emergency, but I would sure like a health plan that reimbursed me for the bulk of my out of pocket expense AND kept an eye on the doctors to be sure they were not performing unnecessary and expensive procedures.

Yeah, I think most of us in the Philippines are used to how healthcare is paid for here, but I just want everyone to realize that this "insurance" may not work like what they are used to in their home countries. Even so, it still may be a good deal for a lot of people here.

Paul

I agree with Dave. I could appreciate being reimbursed for monies paid out for medical care.

mahogany

Highly interested. Will be looking forward to your updates. :evan_iliadis:

JamesMusslewhite

I would be interested in reading the paperwork., and see what he has to offer. Especially family coverage.

TheMatrix

Not sure, but this might be an expensive group to insure.

:biggrin_01:

:evan_iliadis:

emoticon_cigarette.gif

• Like 1

RogerDuMond

Yeah, I think most of us in the Philippines are used to how healthcare is paid for here, but I just want everyone to realize that this "insurance" may not work like what they are used to in their home countries. Even so, it still may be a good deal for a lot of people here.

Tricare is a foreign insurance (US military) and I don't know of any foreign insurance that is accepted by hospitals in the Philippines. If I am understanding Paul correctly, this would be a policy written specifically for use in the Philippines.