• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• fredanna

• DeezNuz

• rfm010

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brownouts are actually a service! They allow customers the opportunity to experience the wholesome goodness of living the way nature intended at a bargain prices. Sure, other nations may charge you

So in the 3 months since we moved to Cebu from Manila our electricity bills have been higher, averaging around 13,000 PHP a month. This month, I tried to find simple ways to reduce the bill (switching

Shit...8 a/c's???   Wouldn't it of been more cost efficient just of have centralized cooling put in by a carrier dealer?

Posted Images

I find I save about p300/month if I turn off the transformer supplying power to my vonage phone and internet overnite.

i am thoroughly confused by electricity but i have been wondering about our bills, which we are told are a good bit higher than others with similar loads. seeing skyman's reference to a transformer makes me wonder if this could be part of our problem. the outlets in our house are such that one socket is 220, the other is 110. the 110 is a result of a transformer that sits by our circuit breaker panel. could a transformer large enough to provide 110v throughout the house be in and of itself a major factor in our high bills?

i am thoroughly confused by electricity but i have been wondering about our bills, which we are told are a good bit higher than others with similar loads. seeing skyman's reference to a transformer makes me wonder if this could be part of our problem. the outlets in our house are such that one socket is 220, the other is 110. the 110 is a result of a transformer that sits by our circuit breaker panel. could a transformer large enough to provide 110v throughout the house be in and of itself a major factor in our high bills?

What is the max load of your transformer in KVA or watt ?

i would have to check. the kitchen where it is is busy right now... i guess i would take the kilowatt load and multiply by 24 to get the daily use, or would it depend on the actual use of appliances/whatever that are running on 110v? if nothing is running at 110 is the transformer by itself still using electricity?

thanks for the reply.

i would have to check. the kitchen where it is is busy right now... i guess i would take the kilowatt load and multiply by 24 to get the daily use, or would it depend on the actual use of appliances/whatever that are running on 110v? if nothing is running at 110 is the transformer by itself still using electricity?

thanks for the reply.

Yes it will, all transformers will have an idle loss it is somewhere between 0.25 and 0.75 % of the rated max output of the transformer. Loss is converted to heat, so if you put your hand on the transformer and feel it is warm you know that there is a loss, the warmer the more loss

Edited by Woolf

thanks for the reply.

just checked and it is 2 kva. up until 2 weeks ago our refrigerator was 110v, now it is 220. would this affect the transformer's impact on our bill?

just checked and it is 2 kva. up until 2 weeks ago our refrigerator was 110v, now it is 220. would this affect the transformer's impact on our bill?

The no load loss of a 2 KVA transformer is about the same as having a 10 watt light bulb turned on 24/7, that is about 7 KWT a month

• 2 weeks later...

The no load loss of a 2 KVA transformer is about the same as having a 10 watt light bulb turned on 24/7, that is about 7 KWT a month

Well that won't explain the P15000 eletric bill. I wouldn't worry. It seems more like all the extra charges that are hurting you.. Today's money converter says that you paid a $342 something USD bill.......... ouch!!! BIG house? SQ M? 2 floors?

You mentioned inverter A/C? You couldn't have a better more effecient way to have A/C.

The window units there use much less than USA equivalent as ALL A/C's are 220 volt. So a .5HP window banger uses about 3amps. If you are air conditoning then the house needs to be insulated.......the attic the windows and even the door, constant opening and closing the doors will kill the best air conditoning.

Fred

My gf owns a house with here sari-sari and two rental rooms in Mandue. Her electric bills have gone from roughly 4500 to 7000 over three months. The company also did them the favor of installing new meters and charged them deposit fees. Its the rapid increase shes concerned about - they use relatively few appliances - one window a/c at night, a fridge, tv, lights, and electronics. They also routinely loose power at night. Is there any regulation of the electric company there? Of course here in the DC area both PEPCO and BGE have huge problems with outages any time it storms and, since deregulation, the bills have more than doubled. While I cannot cite kw hours and such however, my averaged electrical bills is only 400$ a month with two fish tanks, central AC, LOTS of electronics, recording gear etc.

I am confused - your g/f has a power bill of 7000 Pesos (about $160) and you are saying your power bill in DC is only $400/month? WOW - my power bill was under $60 a month during the summer and under $40 during the winter - Two computers, TV, Electric stove/oven A/C

My Fiancee pays about 9000 pesos now - but we have a Water Pump, and an Internet Cafe - we don't have A/C - we just sweat a lot.

Electric bills in the Philippines seem to belong in the X Files category or similar . Know people here in Northern Mindanao paying larger bills than they did state side with much smaller houses , people in Manila griping about their high rates and people everywhere else from both extremes . Every theme from bad meter to old meter to brownout effect to neighbour stealing to part of town you live in is to blame with no consensus .

After moving 2 months ago our bill dropped from 3,000 to 404 then up to 770 this month . Have heard opinions from electricians , electrical engineers , power company reps , mathematicians , politicians , and just plain ass holes . In the end i just fit it into my personal philosophy regarding the Philippines - "The only consistency in the Philippines is it's inconsistency" . :evan_iliadis:

• Like 1
SkyMan

I find I save about p300/month if I turn off the transformer supplying power to my vonage phone and internet overnite.

Is there anything on 110 that you can't live without a while? Try shutting off the xformer a month and see how it effects your bill. In my case shutting the xformer off also shuts off a few things like the internet router and vonage modem which have lots of LEDs and I don't need them on 24/7. I've just gotten used to shutting everything down when I'm not using the computer.

My gf owns a house with here sari-sari and two rental rooms in Mandue. Her electric bills have gone from roughly 4500 to 7000 over three months. The company also did them the favor of installing new meters and charged them deposit fees. Its the rapid increase shes concerned about - they use relatively few appliances - one window a/c at night, a fridge, tv, lights, and electronics. They also routinely loose power at night. Is there any regulation of the electric company there? Of course here in the DC area both PEPCO and BGE have huge problems with outages any time it storms and, since deregulation, the bills have more than doubled. While I cannot cite kw hours and such however, my averaged electrical bills is only 400$ a month with two fish tanks, central AC, LOTS of electronics, recording gear etc.

I am confused - your g/f has a power bill of 7000 Pesos (about $160) and you are saying your power bill in DC is only $400/month? WOW - my power bill was under $60 a month during the summer and under $40 during the winter - Two computers, TV, Electric stove/oven A/C

My Fiancee pays about 9000 pesos now - but we have a Water Pump, and an Internet Cafe - we don't have A/C - we just sweat a lot.

I hope your internet cafe has some aircon!!! Your computers won't live very long in that heat and think of your clients sitting there sweating.

Fred

Is there anything on 110 that you can't live without a while? Try shutting off the xformer a month and see how it effects your bill. In my case shutting the xformer off also shuts off a few things like the internet router and vonage modem which have lots of LEDs and I don't need them on 24/7. I've just gotten used to shutting everything down when I'm not using the computer.

When I read these types of things it's like my in-laws talking about leaving tiny electronic things like computers or routers on 24/7, LED indicators, etc. WOW and transformers sitting idle with no load. This is small stuff folks and would not run up a bill like the OP states.

My in-laws presented us with their electric for the last two months coz we said we would pay for the extra of using a 1.5HP window banger, during our two month stay. It was on everyday for 7 hrs during our visiting time....................60 days. That usage cost P2000 extra. Their typical bill is around P1000. They unplug the "REF" at night!!!! GAWD!!! I told them WE ARE paying the electric bill PLEASE live like humans here!!!JEEESUS

Your $342USD bill should be investigated. The meter could be defective a neighbor could be stealing electricity from you.

Any certified electricians on this board that could come and visit your house and look at the electric service from VECO? Something is not right.

FRED

smokey

This is the philippines country of many un explained things.. like the x files... last year me and the wife went to manila / baguio for 5 weeks and when we got our electric bill it was almost the same as the month we were home... ?? I stop trying to figure out anything here and just go with the flow....

Electric bills in the Philippines seem to belong in the X Files category or similar . Know people here in Northern Mindanao paying larger bills than they did state side with much smaller houses , people in Manila griping about their high rates and people everywhere else from both extremes . Every theme from bad meter to old meter to brownout effect to neighbour stealing to part of town you live in is to blame with no consensus .

After moving 2 months ago our bill dropped from 3,000 to 404 then up to 770 this month . Have heard opinions from electricians , electrical engineers , power company reps , mathematicians , politicians , and just plain ass holes . In the end i just fit it into my personal philosophy regarding the Philippines - "The only consistency in the Philippines is it's inconsistency" . :)

One of the most concise explanations I have heard - Thank you