VECO - Visayan Electric Company - 15,000 PHP Bill

I would think that with a typical person retiring there, living in a paid off house would find those electric bills accetpable.

If we move there I am prepared to pay $250USD/mo

If you're an aircon person like me then you have to deal with the electric. Depending on the construction of your house and insulation the aircon will run 24/7 and good insulation and setting it for 80 F it should cycle on and off. Single story house and a well insulated attic and the aircon gets better and cheaper. Central aircon gets better still. Window units suck!

FRED

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• fredanna

• DeezNuz

• rfm010

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brownouts are actually a service! They allow customers the opportunity to experience the wholesome goodness of living the way nature intended at a bargain prices. Sure, other nations may charge you

So in the 3 months since we moved to Cebu from Manila our electricity bills have been higher, averaging around 13,000 PHP a month. This month, I tried to find simple ways to reduce the bill (switching

Shit...8 a/c's???   Wouldn't it of been more cost efficient just of have centralized cooling put in by a carrier dealer?

Posted Images

RogerDuMond

I would think that with a typical person retiring there, living in a paid off house would find those electric bills accetpable.

If you're an aircon person like me then you have to deal with the electric. Depending on the construction of your house and insulation the aircon will run 24/7 and good insulation and setting it for 80 F it should cycle on and off. Single story house and a well insulated attic and the aircon gets better and cheaper. Central aircon gets better still. Window units suck!

FRED

We live in a small town in South Florida that has its own antiquated electric utility. Our power goes out on average 15 times per year. We have the highest rates in the state, and our utility bills run about $500 per month. So even $300 per month will be a great savings.

Now my question. Doesn't it take more power to continually allow your house to heat up and then cool it back down every day than to maintain a reasonable temperature?

Edited by RogerDuMond

FRED

We live in a small town in South Florida that has its own antiquated electric utility. Our power goes out on average 15 times per year. We have the highest rates in the state, and our utility bills run about $500 per month. So even $300 per month will be a great savings.

Now my question. Doesn't it take more power to continually allow your house to heat up and then cool it back down every day than to maintain a reasonable temperature?

ROGER Roger,

You got it figured out. Keep the same temp setting. We visited Mik or (Mike) in Conslacion and his central air is on 24/7 set for 80F, at nite just a little higher. It would cycle on and off, like an A./C unit here in the USA on a 90ish degree day. He said in "summer" it will run steady coz of the upper 90's temps and higer humidity. He was glad he built his house with 7 inch thick walls. We were literally freezing in his house with the 80 setting. It was one of those days there................Heavy Hot

FRED

musicman666

Damn, that's high.

My office has 30+ PC's running 24/hours a day,. With big 2.5Hp and 1.5Hp airconditioners and lights running all the time and our electric bill hovers between P13,000-P15,000 per month.

acctually im suprised its that low.. i think i need to get my electricty setup checked out as i hit 10k with much less than you mentioned.

JohnFromTexas

Uzi that makes sense... inverter aircons are supposed to use 30-50% less energy, so your bill is right on.

At my old place running a 1hp aircon almost non-stop our bills averaged 4000-6000/month. Had a friend come visit for about 2 weeks and during that time there were frequently but not always 2 aircons running at the same time... next bill was over 12,000! if you are running 3 a/cs at night then what you are quoting for your bill sounds about right to me.

Inspector 2211

I just compared Ricky's electricity bill to my latest electricity bill here in Northern California. Now, Plunder, Grab & Extort (PG&E) doesn't have the lowest rates in the nation, that is well known. But our latest electricity bill came to only $50 (414 kWh), for a 4 bedroom house, no doubt courtesy of a rather chilly summer. I don't think we had the central air on during the billing period, maybe once for a few hours, at most.

At 1810 kWh, Ricky used about 7 times as much energy as we did, and (unsurprisingly) paid about 7 times as much money for it. Developing nation or not, electricity doesn't grow on trees, it's generated by burning coal or oil or natural gas and thus, due to world market prices of fossil fuels being nearly identical everywhere, expect to pay similar dollar amounts for similar amounts of electricity.

Now, at Ricky's level of electricity use, a few solar panels would actually make economic sense (and I'm saying at the same time, with my frugal electricity use, they simply don't make sense for me).

Evidently, the A/C units have to work the hardest during daylight hours, so Ricky could have the solar panels take care of his daytime electricity use.

A 200W panel from China goes for about 500 bucks nowadays, thus a 15 panel installation would provide about 3kW at a cost of ~$7500, plus the inverter, of course.

Say, 10 grand for the whole system including installation.

Or maybe get 20 panels (4kW) for about 13 grand total.

At Ricky's energy use, such a system would pay for itself in about 4 to 6 years.

I'd be wary of a system that pays for itself in, say, 20 years, because the system may not even last that long, who knows?

But a 4 to 6 years amortization period sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Thus, may I kindly suggest to Ricky: Get yourself a few solar panels and generate your daytime electricity yourself.

Cheers,

Harry

Clean the filters on your aircon units. Don't try to make your place cold.

Lately I've had my central aircon continously set to 80 degrees F. I never open the windows so the humidity stays around 42% to 44%.

• Like 1

At 1810 kWh, Ricky used about 7 times as much energy as we did, and (unsurprisingly) paid about 7 times as much money for it. Developing nation or not, electricity doesn't grow on trees, it's generated by burning coal or oil or natural gas and thus, due to world market prices of fossil fuels being nearly identical everywhere, expect to pay similar dollar amounts for similar amounts of electricity.

Our power grows in the ground! :scratch_head:

Just outside of Ormoc is Tongonan Geothermal Power Plant.

Uzi that makes sense... inverter aircons are supposed to use 30-50% less energy, so your bill is right on.

At my old place running a 1hp aircon almost non-stop our bills averaged 4000-6000/month. Had a friend come visit for about 2 weeks and during that time there were frequently but not always 2 aircons running at the same time... next bill was over 12,000! if you are running 3 a/cs at night then what you are quoting for your bill sounds about right to me.

We have 2 aircon but only one used in the afternoon & at night. The other is guest room. We have open plan layout with windows, doors open & screens. Fans are enough. 42" TV & pc running 24/7 plus Fridge/freezer.

The inverter cost more to buy but if the bill remains at the P2-3000 level it will prove to be a sound investment. Even running 3 at night would only add P1-1500 each to the bill ie P5-6000 pm.

FRED

we have double insulation in the roof and a ceiling fan that forces the hot out out which i can turn on or off .... the top floor of the house will be 91 one floor down its 85 and in my TV room part underground its 81 a house underground would be the ticket if your able to get a very good air exchanger.. my electric bill just came for this month and its 8,700peso which i am more then happy with as i use the air con all the time.. and i like it set on 75

A_Simple_Man

The inverter cost more to buy but if the bill remains at the P2-3000 level it will prove to be a sound investment. Even running 3 at night would only add P1-1500 each to the bill ie P5-6000 pm.

Your air con sounds fantastic and I am really, REALLY interested in buying one like that. Care to share the details? Is it window mount, stand alone, hole through the wall? How many horsepower? Where to buy it in Cebu? Pics?

I have found that cheap air conditioners use double the amount of electricity you are talking about so it would be wise to pay double for the air conditioning unit and it would likely pay for itself within the year.

My gf owns a house with here sari-sari and two rental rooms in Mandue. Her electric bills have gone from roughly 4500 to 7000 over three months. The company also did them the favor of installing new meters and charged them deposit fees. Its the rapid increase shes concerned about - they use relatively few appliances - one window a/c at night, a fridge, tv, lights, and electronics. They also routinely loose power at night. Is there any regulation of the electric company there? Of course here in the DC area both PEPCO and BGE have huge problems with outages any time it storms and, since deregulation, the bills have more than doubled. While I cannot cite kw hours and such however, my averaged electrical bills is only 400$ a month with two fish tanks, central AC, LOTS of electronics, recording gear etc.

Your air con sounds fantastic and I am really, REALLY interested in buying one like that. Care to share the details? Is it window mount, stand alone, hole through the wall? How many horsepower? Where to buy it in Cebu? Pics?

I have found that cheap air conditioners use double the amount of electricity you are talking about so it would be wise to pay double for the air conditioning unit and it would likely pay for itself within the year.

It is a LG 1.5hp split type. Quiet as a whisper. Bought from SM Appliance Center in Cebu. Not cheap at a little under P40K

post-6622-064196800 1285387167_thumb.jpg

I just paid our highest bill ever... 2,500 Php. :P

My high has been p1500 but I almost never turn on the A/C. If it's warm we turn on the ceiling fan when we go to bed and I usually wake up turn it off the middle of the night and back on at dawn. It's been cool enough lately we don't even turn it on at all. I've even had to pull a sheet on some times. :biggrin_01:

I find I save about p300/month if I turn off the transformer supplying power to my vonage phone and internet overnite.

Edited by SkyMan

I just paid our highest bill ever... 2,500 Php. :P

My high has been p1500 but I almost never turn on the A/C. If it's warm we turn on the ceiling fan when we go to bed and I usually wake up turn it off the middle of the night and back on at dawn. It's been cool enough lately we don't even turn it on at all. I've even had to pull a sheet on some times. :biggrin_01:

I find I save about p300/month if I turn off the transformer supplying power to my vonage phone and internet overnite.

well as we see your picture i think your blessed with -50% body fat... you would be cold if someone set you on fire..

i received my bill today and it was 8,100 peso and no big surprise the amount of electric used was only 4300p the rest was the FEE for this and the fee for that and 12% system loss which means the electric company get to eat their steak all the time and every time... take off system loss as its not my fault thieves are growing like weeds and vat

Edited by robert51