VECO - Visayan Electric Company - 15,000 PHP Bill

So in the 3 months since we moved to Cebu from Manila our electricity bills have been higher, averaging around 13,000 PHP a month. This month, I tried to find simple ways to reduce the bill (switching off air con units when not in the room etc), but have ended up being landed with a 15,323 PHP bill. Thats 225 UK Pounds or 350 US dollars for ONE MONTH!

Heres the details

Usage this month 1810 kWh

Avg kWh/day 58.39

I did some testing to see if someone was tapping our power by switching everything off and checking the meter, and the meter stopped turning. So then went though everything, and the general household applicances are fine. The problems relate to the air con units and the jacuzzi pumps. We run air con in three of the bedrooms at night and in the lounge during the day. I expected to pay around 10,000 a month for this, but 15,323 is just absolutely ridiculous. We are paying double what we were in Manila for a fairly similar setup.

What is it with the electricity prices? Anyone have any ideas how to get cheaper power bill deals or something? I don't really want to switch off the air con units, would prefer to find someway of getting better prices on the energy bills. The missus reckons that it's VECO or nothing, there is no alternative.

Edited by Ricky
  • Like 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• fredanna

• DeezNuz

• rfm010

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Brownouts are actually a service! They allow customers the opportunity to experience the wholesome goodness of living the way nature intended at a bargain prices. Sure, other nations may charge you

So in the 3 months since we moved to Cebu from Manila our electricity bills have been higher, averaging around 13,000 PHP a month. This month, I tried to find simple ways to reduce the bill (switching

Shit...8 a/c's???   Wouldn't it of been more cost efficient just of have centralized cooling put in by a carrier dealer?

Posted Images

We have had the same problem it gets higher and higher... we now have our bill down to 10,11 a month do your air con units have a timer if so we set the timer at night and use fans move the air each air con unit in our house has a fan close to take the air and move it around... it sucks we should beat the guy who told us we could live like kings on pennies a day that guy must be on drugs.. also electric like gas is higher in cebu for some stupid reason ... take the gas its lower cost per liter in the south and manila but 4 to 6 peso higher here in cebu ....

Edited by robert51

Ricky;

I know it hurt but the aircon is the first thing that comes to mind. We use our aircon sparingly. We try to use the fans as much as possible. Also, you may know this since you lived in Manila, the RP has some of the highest rates in SE Asia so bear that in mind.

Damn, that's high.

My office has 30+ PC's running 24/hours a day,. With big 2.5Hp and 1.5Hp airconditioners and lights running all the time and our electric bill hovers between P13,000-P15,000 per month.

My home is P7-10k per month depending on how much I use the A/C's

The price per kilowatthour sounds good, we actually have to pay more in our province.

My bill is near 10,000 a month, and I'm using only two aircons with together 2.5hp around 12 hrs a day regularly.

So I see few chances to reduce your costs if you want to continue with 3 ACs at night and one at daytime.

A solution might be to improve the insulation of your home. But that will be expensive, too.

Damn, that's high.

My office has 30+ PC's running 24/hours a day,. With big 2.5Hp and 1.5Hp airconditioners and lights running all the time and our electric bill hovers between P13,000-P15,000 per month.

My home is P7-10k per month depending on how much I use the A/C's

yea rob but your most likely cooling one or two rooms... we use a (3) 2.5 units(2) 2HP units and (3) 1 hp units and the only thing hot at my house is me when i am in heat..

Shit...8 a/c's???

Wouldn't it of been more cost efficient just of have centralized cooling put in by a carrier dealer?

• Like 1

Shit...8 a/c's???

Wouldn't it of been more cost efficient just of have centralized cooling put in by a carrier dealer?

i used trane and each unit has its own control so i dont have to go around closing vents and they are all in the ceilings nothing shows but the slot for the outlet and the one for the inlet.. and they are all on timers...

Edited by robert51

Shit...8 a/c's???

i used trane and each unit has its own control so i dont have to go around closing vents and they are all in the ceilings nothing shows but the slot for the outlet and the one for the inlet.. and they are all on timers...

Dude...you have a damn elevator in your house.

You can have one of the 8 maids you have close all the different vents around the house.

Shit...8 a/c's???

Dude...you have a damn elevator in your house.

You can have one of the 8 maids you have close all the different vents around the house.

your so mean to me because i have had the same maids for years... and there are only two maids ,,,, and i dont use the elevator as part of my who the hell needs to join a gym just go up and down the stairs 5 times a day.... but i do fall asleep often in my lazy boy ....and i bet my elevator cost less then that bike of yours....that is a very nice ride...

Edited by robert51

We moved from Laguna Sth of Manila (Meralco) to Cebu and been in our house now for 2 months. At this time of year our Meralco bill would have been in the P4500 - 5,000 region. Same set up here and after a small 1st bill (part month) we just had our full month Veco bill .........P2,500....:rofl:

Only change is the aircon in our bedroom is now an inverter type.

Edited by UZI

I have been bitching about the 20k power bills at our bar but after reading some of the threads here I don't feel so bad. Thanks for the input guys.

I just paid our highest bill ever... 2,500 Php. :rofl:

:P

My bill, for the past year 1.5 years, has been between Php 2,000 and oh, Php 2,300.

This month, I moved into a new apartment that has six full sized windows, the largest being upstairs in the living area.

I got the apartment for just a bit more than I was previously paying, but now do not need to use the air-con, and haven't since I moved into this unit (the 10th of this month).

Soooo, my electric bill, I estimate, will be under Php 1,000 per month.

In short, it will cost me less to live in this apartment, which is more than twice the size of my previous one, for less money over all.

So, Mailman, nanner, nanner. :)