Peso closes at 2-year high of 43.88:$1

MANILA, Philippines - The peso broke into the 43 to $1 territory yesterday, closing at a more than two-year high of 43.880 to $1 as the greenback remained under pressure after the US Federal Reserve decided to keep its benchmark interest rates at record lows but vowed to continue to supporting its fragile US economy.

The peso gained 12.50 centavos to close at 43.880 to $1 from Tuesday

Aquino can smile all he wants about the stock market rising and the peso rising against the dollar. The problem is if it continues and the cost labor here goes up, so will the jobs will go out.

• Like 1

Aquino can smile all he wants about the stock market rising and the peso rising against the dollar. The problem is if it continues and the cost labor here goes up, so will the jobs will go out.

Do you think they will send the jobs overseas - like maybe the USA? biggrin_01.gif

Still has a lot of growth before it gets back to the 7 to 8 peso/$ of the Marcos days.. But he was the bad guy, wasn't he!

No Mike not to the US, but to China, Vietnam, India. Don't laugh. This is happening right now. But it could get worse and if it happens then its real bad for the RP.

Do you think they will send the jobs overseas - like maybe the USA? biggrin_01.gif

Apparently, all the foreigner killings is good for the economy!

JohnFromTexas

We'll be back to Marcos levels in a couple years... I'm gettin out of here before then. I don't want to even imagine living here at those kind of exchange levels.

We'll be back to Marcos levels in a couple years... I'm gettin out of here before then. I don't want to even imagine living here at those kind of exchange levels.

i think what we have is first borrow or ask for a grant from the US ..... receive 500,000,000 us in dollars(( to fight poverty)) of course and then run and change it into peso so now you have spendable money and the peso gets stronger and your show thru this stronger peso what a great job your doing... wait a week or so and receive another 70,000,000 dollars(( peace effort in the south )) and do the same and then have a big hostage crises and get yet another 200,000,000 dollars (( for the PNP ))) and buy peso again... now the peso is very strong and everyone will cheer your name ...

i think what we have is first borrow or ask for a grant from the US ..... receive 500,000,000 us in dollars(( to fight poverty)) of course and then run and change it into peso so now you have spendable money and the peso gets stronger and your show thru this stronger peso what a great job your doing... wait a week or so and receive another 70,000,000 dollars(( peace effort in the south )) and do the same and then have a big hostage crises and get yet another 200,000,000 dollars (( for the PNP ))) and buy peso again... now the peso is very strong and everyone will cheer your name ...

That's sounds like an awesome plan! They should get started on it right away!

the last 200,000,000 was at the end of august that is old news now its time to forgive china and let them help with climate change , or maybe japan will help with inter structure or viet nam with rice ,,, well a plan a day keeps the peso strong.

Plan sounds real good except now the US is getting spooked about spending alot of money so its possible that Aquino will come back home empty handed this time.

the last 200,000,000 was at the end of august that is old news now its time to forgive china and let them help with climate change , or maybe japan will help with inter structure or viet nam with rice ,,, well a plan a day keeps the peso strong.

JohnFromTexas

til hit the button on the head. the philippines will play money/budget games like they always do, that won't change... what is going to change is that the US is heading towards a greek style debt crisis in the next few years and when that happens you can kiss the current dollar exchange levels goodbye. not saying it's going to happen tomorrow... but the trend going forward is a weaker and weaker dollar and then pop, the value is going to collapse when the shit hits the fan. it's hard to see it being avoided as politicians don't have the spine to do the unpopular things that would be necessary to avoid it and the american people aren't willing to accept or demand the steps that need to be taken until it's thrust on them. meanwhile the tea partiers who had the right idea to start have now been coopted by social conservatives worried about abortion and other social conservative issues and are going to screw any chance of putting together a real movement to get people in office who will do something about it.