Sign in to follow this  
Tatoosh

Cebu To Boracay Travel?

Tatoosh

What is the best way to get to Boracay from Cebu? I need to head over there in early May for a few days. I have been told that there are two airports to select from, but neither are actually close to Boracay itself, or at least the part of Boracay where we visit.

I have heard that you can fly to another island and take a boat over, but it is best you don't have much luggage if you do, since you have to drag it through the sand. The other option is an airport on the same island as the beaches, but requires an hour or two bus drive to get over to the beach section. I am not sure which airport is which, but I suppose I can look that part up.

I'm an old fat guy with too much luggage. Anyone been there and can clue me in on the how and where I should be making my travel arrangements?

Thanks!

Steve

I am interested as well as to what those who have been there will say because I will probably be visiting Boracay late April to early May.

I did find this information on the Boracay site.

Ref: http://www.boracay.com/getting_there.php

Getting There

The easiest way to Boracay is to fly direct to Caticlan, which takes all of 36 minutes.

Via Kalibo: The next best way is to fly to Kalibo Airport. From there you take a two-hour (2-hour) ride to Caticlan.

For the ride between Kalibo and Caticlan, mini-vans, air-conditioned buses and rental vehicles run in both directions, direct from the airport and Caticlan Jetty Port.

By Land

From Iloilo or Bacolod on neighboring Negros Island, the only way to get to Boracay is by bus. Mini-vans or buses ply the 4 to 5 hour Iloilo-Caticlan route. The trip is split into two: a 3 to 4-hour drive from Iloilo to Kalibo, and, transfering to another vehicle, from Kalibo to Caticlan, for a one-and-a-half-hour drive. A non-stop, 3 to 4-hour taxi ride from Iloilo to Caticlan is always an option.

Ilovecebu

The Catlican Airport is as close as you can get to Boracay. Sea Air flies there and I think Asian Spirit also.

From there you have to take a boat to Boracay, which is about a 25 minute trip. They should hae opened the new pier that is easier to get on and off. Not like some years ago that if it was low tide, the boat crew carried the tourists that did not want to get wet on their backs. Especially the japanese and koreans that came wearing their Bally and Ferragamo shoes

As for the nightlife there, be careful, cause I have been told, that if you see an apple, you will also find a banana. HINT: ADAMS Apple

jimmynug
The Catlican Airport is as close as you can get to Boracay. Sea Air flies there and I thinl Asian Spirit also.

From there you have to take a boat to Boracay, which is about a 25 minute trip. They should hae opened the new pier that is easier to get on and off. Not like some years ago that if it was low tide, the boat crew carried the tourists that did not want to get wet on their backs. Especially the japanese and koreans that came wearing their Bally and Ferragamo shoes

As for the nightlife there, be careful, cause I have been told, that if you see an apple, you will also find a banana. HINT: ADAMS Apple

Yes Asian Spirit does fly to Catlican Airport from Cebu. That is the way to go in my opinion. After landing, take a short tricycle ride to the boats taking you on over to Borocay. Even if the new pier is not open, a few pesos will keep you from having to carry your luggage yourself.

Tatoosh

Thanks guys! Sounds like Catlican is the airport of choice unless I want to do some sight seeing from a bus or taxi.

Anyone know what I should budget roughly for the flight to Catlican, the taxis, the boat and so forth to get me from Cebu and plopped down in my little room on the beach? One way is fine, since I will probably head for Baguio from Boracay and not back to Cebu directly.

misty

By the way, it's Caticlan and not Catlican.

Jim Sibbick
Thanks guys! Sounds like Catlican is the airport of choice unless I want to do some sight seeing from a bus or taxi.

Anyone know what I should budget roughly for the flight to Catlican, the taxis, the boat and so forth to get me from Cebu and plopped down in my little room on the beach? One way is fine, since I will probably head for Baguio from Boracay and not back to Cebu directly.

Here are the airline sites so you can see costs and schedules for your self:

http://www.asianspirit.com/

http://www.flyseair.com/

If you have too much luggage for the plane, you can go by boat to Iloilo then bus to Caticlan. These two shipping companies travel from Cebu City to Iloilo:

http://www.transasiashipping.com/

http://www.cokaliongshipping.com/

To get from Boracay to Baguio, you can avoid the little planes of Sea Air and Asia Pacific by travelling from Kalibo to Manila on:

http://www.cebupacificair.com/

or

http://www.philippineairlines.com/

Sorry, I can't help on jeepney/bus/tricycle/bangka costs as it is now nearly 12 years since I travelled to Boracay.

Regards: Jim

Tatoosh

Thanks Jim! I will compute my costs and consider my options. :D

My apology to the spelling gods, I do that dyslexic thing occasionally.

David_LivinginTalisay
What is the best way to get to Boracay from Cebu? I need to head over there in early May for a few days. I have been told that there are two airports to select from, but neither are actually close to Boracay itself, or at least the part of Boracay where we visit.

I have heard that you can fly to another island and take a boat over, but it is best you don't have much luggage if you do, since you have to drag it through the sand. The other option is an airport on the same island as the beaches, but requires an hour or two bus drive to get over to the beach section. I am not sure which airport is which, but I suppose I can look that part up.

I'm an old fat guy with too much luggage. Anyone been there and can clue me in on the how and where I should be making my travel arrangements?

Thanks!

Some may be interested in a Message that I posted some time back on MyPh.com Forum

I wrote about how I took my car to Caticlan from Cebu City for under half the cost of 4 Adults flying there.

It wont be cheaper than FlySeAir, for just 1 adult. Perhaps slightly more for 2 adults sharing a car, as flying.

As I said I took 3 adults in the car with me, making 4 total, and the fuel, ferry charges, hotels and extra meals, was under half the total cost of all 4 of us flying to Caticlan from Cebu.

It takes longer, but you get to see more of the Philippines, and have 2 extra nights in hotels; for about the same cost of 2 Adults flying there.

Post subject: road trips

http://myph.com.ph/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=1385#1385

For those on a Budget, you can do the same journey by BUS.

ckfm
Thanks Jim! I will compute my costs and consider my options. :as-if:

My apology to the spelling gods, I do that dyslexic thing occasionally.

The new port is already open for some month now. The only problem may be that your hotel/resort is only accessible from the beach, meaning you have to drag your luggage yourself or pay somebody for it. That's where they really charge you a lot.

You have to take the trike first, maybe 50 or so pesos (you can also take a "taxi" for a lot more). Taking a trike requires you to walk 100 meters. Then into the port, paying the various fees, maybe 150 or so, then taking a trike again for 150 or so. You don't really have much choice. Most bigger hotels have their own taxis (small jeepney's, the only cars on the island) and overcharge you heavily.

If you look for cheap accomodation, don't book in advance, just walk around and deal for the best price. The cheapest accomodations are around Dave's strawhut (do a google). I am saying around as Dave's is not so cheap but he has free Wi-Fi internet if thats' important to you. He is top rated on www.tripadvisor.com, so often booked out.

There are many freelance girls on the island, meeting points are cocomangas bar and various other bars on the beach. I haven't seen many ladyboys though. The most central place is D-mall, a nice area with many restaurants and shops, in the centre of the beach. There are over 40 diveshops on Boracay, perfect if you want to learn scubadiving, around $300 for open water padi and the dive sites are quite nice with good visbility.

. . .

Tatoosh

Thanks for info Scianna54. Sounds like maybe I should leave most of my luggage back in Cebu, though I was planning on heading up to Baguio after visiting Boracay. Maybe I will ship it to the next hotel instead.

I look forward to enjoying the beach and doing a bit of girl watching. For sure not into the ladyboys, but I suppose they add variety to the horizon.

I saw Dave's had good recommendations so I am booked there. I'll report on it after I arrive. Thanks again for letting me know what to expect.

mjenny

Thanks!

mjenny

Thanks for info Scianna54. Sounds like maybe I should leave most of my luggage back in Cebu, though I was planning on heading up to Baguio after visiting Boracay. Maybe I will ship it to the next hotel instead.

I look forward to enjoying the beach and doing a bit of girl watching. For sure not into the ladyboys, but I suppose they add variety to the horizon.

I saw Dave's had good recommendations so I am booked there. I'll report on it after I arrive. Thanks again for letting me know what to expect.

[/qu[/size]

Hi,

I've been to Boracay. The fastest way to get there is to take Seair or Asian Spirit airlines. Thats only 30 minutes travel from manila to Boracay. If you depart from cebu, the flight would be much shorter. You will arrive directly to Caticlan airport, thats the nearest airport to Boracay. from there you will only ride a ferry by 15 minutes. That will be arranged by the resort you are booked.

Hope I've helped you. By the way, im new to this site. So i really dont have any idea yet if im replying to you in the right space. :as-if:

Jenny

World Traveller

I went to Boracay about a year ago and really enjoyed staying there. Just to give you an idea;

Return Flights Cebu - Caticlan was about 7,500 pesos

Blue Mango(were i stayed) 12,000 for their best room for D/R for 3 nights which included breakfast,free water to drink & free internet. There are cheaper places and there are certainly more expensive.

Meals - i think roughly 200 - 300 pesos for a meal.

Jetskis - 1,800 pesos for 30 min

You will enjoy it very much..

John

http://www.bluemango.com.ph/

Tatoosh

Very cool! Thank you all for the info. I will adjust my travel plans accordingly. I'm staying in Lapu Lapu right now and have a place to park my excess stuff, at least short term. So after I do my time on the beach in Bohol, I will fly over to Boracay and take the ferry, I think.

I'm going to try Dave's Straw Hat Inn. I keep running into good reports on it, especially for the price. I will be the big white beach whale, or perhaps sun burnt red after Bohol. :)