Aircon vs. aircooler

JohnFromTexas

JohnFromTexas

OK the place I am at does not have space in the wall or windows for an air-con. I went and looked at a couple of places today - it looks like they have those wall-mounted inverter units but the cheapest one of those was over 20,000, which is more than I was hoping to spend... ideally I would prefer an upright unit that I could move around if necessary. I saw exactly that at another store, but they were 'evaporative air coolers' and not air conditioners. They ranged from cheap to fairly advanced and more expensive (almost as much as some wall/window aircons). My question is, are these air coolers even worth looking at? it looks like you have to fill them with water? I don't really have any experience with them, but some of the bigger nicer ones were pretty much what I was looking for in an a/c unit size/upright-wise. I didn't see any upright plug in aircon units, but maybe they just didn't have any? they are obviously available since BoI and many businesses use the bigger industrial models. Any experience or recommendations?

If its an evaporative cooler they work great in low humidity places like the desert..I cant see how they would work efficiently here with the high humidity???

Even here they will lower the air temp about 2 degrees F. They are good for open areas and outside, but not so good for enclosed areas where the excess humidity can't escape. The air will feel noticeably cooler if you sit in front of one, but they are not very good for lowering the temperature of a room as a whole. Not a replacement for a room air conditioner.

i had one in oregon .... they are cooler in the store but at home they suck..

Wombat No More

Mate, I'm an Aussie and come from the driest State (Sth Aust) in the driest country in the world. And it gets hot. Usually, in the summer and just after, the temp range to 45C but averages maybe 38C or a little lower. Out of the city the temps go up sharply and you can fry eggs on the car bonnet (hood)

Those bloody little evap conditioners.... I've had four in my lifetime and made the mistake recently of giving in to my wife to buy one even though I told her they are totally useless. Now it's just an extra fan in the house coz guess what... it does bugger all and cost P3,600.

I had a rather large one on wheels some years ago that cost nearly as much as a refridgerative AC. Waste of bloody money and time and this was in a very dry environment, Oz, and all it did was blow not particularly cooler air and cost money and every hour or so you got to fill the bastard up with water again. One of these will, like the smaller ones, frustrate the hell out of ya and you just don't need that extra stress because of a 'useless piece of shit air con'.

The best aircon I ever had was an evaporative model that goes on the roof, blows a powerful stream of air into the whole house thru ducts and reduces the temp by 10C in dry air. Sitting in the air stream from a duct feels much cooler.

The only such air cons I've seen in Cebu are monstrosities made in China which are also much more expensive than the more efficient ones in Oz. Belmont in Mandaue has had a big heavy square one (4 sides suck in the air and expel it under to ducts as the ones in Oz do) from China at about P76,000 from memory. It has sat on the floor for at least 3 years that I know of and originally was priced at P64,000 until magically, almost 3 years ago, it went up to the price it is still at today.

Mate, we're not in Oz or Yankee/Confederate land so you will probably just have to settle for a conventional, coal/diesel consuming model like everyone else. Bugger (damn) Ooroo

post-6386-128497692928_thumb.jpg

post-6386-128497695224_thumb.jpg

Edited by WombatPhil

I think the only reason people buy them is because when seen in the stores, like Ace and elsewhere, they are blowing out nicely cooled air from the store, not from themselves. Basically a waste of money in my experience. It maybe lowers the temp one or two degrees a few feet in front of the unit, while increasing the humidity of the whole room it is in.

Perhaps you could get permission from the owner to cut a rectangular hole in the wall to install a proper aircon. Or buy more fans.

Perhaps you could get permission from the owner to cut a rectangular hole in the wall to install a proper aircon. Or buy more fans.

That's what I would do. Most landlords / landladies are pretty lenient about things like that.

JohnFromTexas

That's pretty much what I suspected about the air coolers... was just hoping they were better than i thought :thumbsup:

how do you cut a hole in a cement wall??? and wouldn't the expense of having that done + a normal wall unit cost about as much as buying one of the fancier wall/ceiling mount units that don't require a hole?

anyone know where you can get the vertical standalone units? i didn't see any at SM appliances.

That's pretty much what I suspected about the air coolers... was just hoping they were better than i thought :shitstormretarded:

how do you cut a hole in a cement wall??? and wouldn't the expense of having that done + a normal wall unit cost about as much as buying one of the fancier wall/ceiling mount units that don't require a hole?

anyone know where you can get the vertical standalone units? i didn't see any at SM appliances.

I don't know where you may find the stand alone units, but any of them, I believe, are going to have to have some sort of access hole cut through the wall.

You have to think about this, though. When you buy the window unit, they will install it for free. You just need to pay the labor and materials to make sure there is a hole for the window unit, and a power point close enough to provide electricity for it. Incidentally, if you are going to buy your own aircon, I strongly suggest buying the following timer / voltage regulator:

voltage_regulator_red.jpg

You can read more about it on this page: Philippines Electricity

In terms of USD, or many other foreign currencies, it doesn't cost that much to have work done on an apartment to upgrade it, making it more comfortable (western) for you.

tom_shor

If its an evaporative cooler they work great in low humidity places like the desert..I cant see how they would work efficiently here with the high humidity???

They don't. They appear to work in the store because the building A/C has de humidified the air. At home they will just be an expensive fan.

All you need is a small grinder with a diamond blade. It will cut a line one inch deep. Cut your rectangle through the stucco on both sides of the wall. (There's going to be lots and lots of fine dust.) Then take a 4" masonry nail driven through a short piece of old garden hose and chip out the masonry in the rectangle. Use a chisel when you get down the softer hollow block. Unless it's solid concrete, the chipping goes pretty fast. Use a hacksaw with 18T blade to cut the rebar. You might hire some guy with his own tools. Locals are very experienced at doing this kind of thing. (You should also put a new layer of stucco on the cut surface inside the rectangular hole.)

• Like 1
Wombat No More

smile.gif

As a former Correctional Officer, I can tell you that 'misplaced' kitchen serving spoons do a great job making holes in solid walls. Of course, it takes a while, cheap too, but probably a real lot quicker to do here where the quality of the blocks are always suspect. (I mean, where else can you hold a block 6" off the ground and see it break into 2,000 pieces when it drops)

Glad to be of assistance (?)

post-6386-128511238888_thumb.jpg

Edited by Admin
Fixed quotes - Paul
JohnFromTexas

Where can you buy that zebra circuit paul? guess i'll have to find an electrician to install it as well. there are no a/c plugins in the house.. all just the standard ones.

Looks like it is going to be a PITA to get a/c in... i did find a portable 1hp a/c unit online at a cebu appliance store... it is around the same price as a 1hp split wall/ceiling mount unit (ie, not cheap -- around 20k). So I may check out the portable unit before I go putting a hole in the wall... also if I do that I have to get permission from the landlord and see if I can negotiate money off the rent for the improvement.

tom_shor

Where can you buy that zebra circuit paul? guess i'll have to find an electrician to install it as well. there are no a/c plugins in the house.. all just the standard ones.

Looks like it is going to be a PITA to get a/c in... i did find a portable 1hp a/c unit online at a cebu appliance store... it is around the same price as a 1hp split wall/ceiling mount unit (ie, not cheap -- around 20k). So I may check out the portable unit before I go putting a hole in the wall... also if I do that I have to get permission from the landlord and see if I can negotiate money off the rent for the improvement.

Even a portable unit will need to be vented outside.