Sign in to follow this  
johnormoc

Xoom Sucks

mpt1947

Victim of a consumer Rip-off? Want justice?

Ripoff Report

Terry

An alternate point of view,

Maybe some of you should read the user agreement for Xoom. IMHO.

I've been using them for years and haven't had so much as a blink in the service. They have helped me on more than one occasion including via phone calls with customer service reps. The money has been received numerous times within two hours of sending and I've received refunds.

:)

T

BBQ Joe

I've been using them for years and haven't had so much as a blink in the service. They have helped me on more than one occasion including via phone calls with customer service reps. The money has been received numerous times within two hours of sending and I've received refunds.

:)

T

So maybe you have a phone number of a customer service rep you can share with us?

Terry

I've initiated the help via their online help section form. After that it was all done via email and them calling me. Here is a list of those I've been in contact with as well as the email address of those email messages I got from them and the phone mumbers I used. There was no "magic" number like with the US Embassy in Manila. Some of the email I received stated they would call me, which they did.

Komal Verma

Sunir Grover

Rowel Capagcuan

Monette M. Pepito

Esther Silveira

Alok Srivastava

Matthew Na Sal

[email protected]

877.815.1531 (within the US)

+1.415.395.4225 (outside US)

All was done from March till June this year (1020). The last transaction I did (August 2010) was to Iligan City to my mother-in-law. It was the first time I sent money to her and to Iligan. The money was in her hand within one hour of my sending it. For $5US it's the best deal I know of.

I get the feeling they were burned somehow prompting a change in policy.

T

joemama

I wonder if Xoom is required by any agency to tell you why they canceled your account, or if they can do it without ever giving a reason? obviously the latter is their policy, but is that legal? and if it isnt, who do you go to to find out.

shadow

I've initiated the help via their online help section form. After that it was all done via email and them calling me. Here is a list of those I've been in contact with as well as the email address of those email messages I got from them and the phone mumbers I used. There was no "magic" number like with the US Embassy in Manila. Some of the email I received stated they would call me, which they did.

Komal Verma

Sunir Grover

Rowel Capagcuan

Monette M. Pepito

Esther Silveira

Alok Srivastava

Matthew Na Sal

[email protected]

All was done from March till June this year (1020). The last transaction I did (August 2010) was to Iligan City to my mother-in-law. It was the first time I sent money to her and to Iligan. The money was in her hand within one hour of my sending it. For $5US it's the best deal I know of.

T

In over 200 transactions with Xoom and Moneygram, I have never once had occasion or reason to need to talk with a customer service rep. You have talked with SEVEN reps with Xoom? It really doesn't sound like you "haven't had so much as a blink in the service" to me.

Larry in Dumaguete

Tomas

Terry, can you explain why you would say this?

Is there something in the user agreement that we have overlooked or maybe something non-obvious about which we should be aware?

When I looked at it before, the only real caveat I can remember is to not send money to yourself with a credit card (since that would be a cash advance). I don't remember any restriction on the sender's geographic location or any restriction on sending money to yourself via a bank account. Am I mistaken? Thanks.

Tomas (a satisfied Xoom customer so far, but only used it once)

Terry

Komal Verma

Sunir Grover

Rowel Capagcuan

Monette M. Pepito

Esther Silveira

Alok Srivastava

Matthew Na Sal

[email protected]

T

In over 200 transactions with Xoom and Moneygram, I have never once had occasion or reason to need to talk with a customer service rep. You have talked with SEVEN reps with Xoom? It really doesn't sound like you "haven't had so much as a blink in the service" to me.

Larry in Dumaguete

:D:biggrin_01::sick:

The number was as a result of a could of bonehead moves on my part. The first was of me trying to correct my own mistake. I had sent money to the wrong account and it took that many to keep me happy and get it fixed. The entire evolution took way less than one day. The second was to be able to send more than what was allowed in a one month period. Again, it was my own doing. I would detail the whole thing but there is a limit to the size of posts here. (Thank God) Besides, I'm a graduate of the Columbus school of Typing, I find a key and land on it.

T

Terry

Terry, can you explain why you would say this?

Is there something in the user agreement that we have overlooked or maybe something non-obvious about which we should be aware?

When I looked at it before, the only real caveat I can remember is to not send money to yourself with a credit card (since that would be a cash advance). I don't remember any restriction on the sender's geographic location or any restriction on sending money to yourself via a bank account. Am I mistaken? Thanks.

Tomas (a satisfied Xoom customer so far, but only used it once)

Like most other companies there are numerous restrictions. For instance you cannot use the service if you live in some states (West Virginia, Vermont, or Wyoming), you can't have more than one account at a time without permission, etc. Here's the link to the latest one:

https://www.xoom.com/sendmoneynow/user-agreement

I've used the service to the tune of $36K US and climbing (Three kids in college with two more enroute).

T

A_Simple_Man

Question - should I reply to BBB that I don't understand why no one at Xoom can tell me the exact reason - if it isn't based on Usage or Frequency or use of a competitor what is the reason?

I have until October 1st to get back to the BBB - I invite input

thanks,

Mike

It sounds like the kind of response one would expect if they were racial profiling or profiling terrorists and money launderers. Do you fit any of those profiles?

Tomas

Because of liability concerns, American companies often won't respond with details.

When I was a manager at a Fortune 100 tech company in the USA, we were banned from giving any kind of reference for any work acquaintance or direct report at any time, whether they were still working for the company or not. All we were allowed to say was what dates they worked for the company. We could not discuss their documented work record (e.g., performance ratings), what projects they worked on, etc.

This is where a litigious business culture ultimately leads.

joemama

Well they finally did it to me after 4 years of being a good customer...but with a twist. Last week I initiated a transfer ($1,000 + USD) to my wife, yesterday she went to get pick it up and was unable to do so. I call them and check my email at the same time. they sent me this:

We write to inform you that, after careful review, we have disabled your Xoom account for violations of the Xoom User Agreement, effective immediately.

This decision cannot be appealed, and our customer service team will not be able to discuss the matter with you beyond restating the above.

Nonetheless, if you feel compelled to contact Xoom regarding this decision, you may send an email to us at [email protected]

Very truly yours,

The Xoom Compliance Team

This is AFTER they approved AND withdrew the money from my account!! and then I got this:

The Xoom Customer Service Team has initiated a refund to your account. The Xoom tracking number for this transaction is X061871789638198. Your bank account will be credited with 1,084.99 USD. Normally, it will take 1

Tomas

I have just read through the user agreement at: https://www.xoom.com/sendmoneynow/user-agreement to try to find anything non-obvious. Here is all that I find:

you may not use the Service if you are a resident of West Virginia, Vermont, or Wyoming
We may, at any time and in our sole discretion, refuse any Transaction or limit the amount to be transferred, either on a per transaction basis or on an aggregated basis. Any such limits may be imposed on individual accounts, linked accounts, or on related accounts or households, in Xoom's sole discretion. We reserve the right at any time, and from time to time, to modify or discontinue the Service (or any part thereof) with or without notice.
Commercial Transactions. You should not use the Service to send money except to people that you know personally. We have no control over, and are not responsible for, the quality, safety, legality, or delivery of goods or services that you pay third parties for using the Service. You acknowledge that any use of the Service to pay for such goods and services is at your own risk. If Xoom discovers you are using the Service to purchase goods or services, we reserve the right to cancel your transaction(s).
You may not submit or receive a Transaction on behalf of any other person.
You may not . . . Open more than one account . . . Use an anonymizing proxy . . .Provide yourself a cash advance from your credit card (or help others to do so)
I found nothing forbidding a resident of the Philippines from using the service as a sender. I found nothing preventing you from sending money to yourself using a bank account as the source. I found nothing at all relating to sender or receiver's current geographic location. Tomas

mpt1947

Complaint with BBB

As many of you know I have filed a complaint with the BBB in San Francisco regarding Xoom. I informed them that on September 1st I received an EMail from Xoom that my account had been canceled due to non compliance - after reading through the User Agreement I could not find where I had been non compliant. I wrote a Mr. Walters at Xoom for an explanation but did not receive any response - so I contacted BBB.

My first response is posted elsewhere on this topic. I received a reply from Xoom insuring me that using a competitor was not the reason or that I was a "bad" person. I was given another contact person in the Compliance Department - I wrote to them and received no response so I told BBB that the Issue wasn't resolved.

Today I received another response - Xoom apologized to me again - and told me should any new information arise they may reinstate my account.

I rejected this explanation and told BBB that all I was looking for was an explanation of what part of the User Agreement I violated that cause my account to be closed. Apparently I refused Xoom's final offer -

I only hope they have gone from an A to less then an A

Mike