Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Babies learning to swim

Paul

When babies are small, that is the best time to introduce them to water and swimming.

I just don't get it. A country of islands, yet if a barge or ferry sinks, 80% of the people drown. :P

David_LivinginTalisay

When babies are small, that is the best time to introduce them to water and swimming.

I just don't get it. A country of islands, yet if a barge or ferry sinks, 80% of the people drown. :P

Even the Paediatric Doctor said that whilst he knew Babies are supposed to have an 'affinity' to water (having spent 9 months of their life in the fluid filled womb, but just 7.5 months in Baby Anzhelica's case), he admitted very few 'Pool Births' and a 'fear' that it 'dangerous'. The Dr. said it was not something most Pilipino Parents are 'comfortable' with, not part of their 'culture'!

So how do you expect Pilipino babies/children to learn to swim when Doctors and Parents showing such reluctance to let babies swim free before they are 6 months old, brought about by ignorance/fear?

They should watch some of these YouTube Videos of Babies swimming underwater (many others also):-

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLhsA9_xqwc?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLhsA9_xqwc?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLhsA9_xqwc?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOdc4_XyOM?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOdc4_XyOM?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiOdc4_XyOM?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-8Sqctx8o?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param'>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-8Sqctx8o?fs=1&hl=en_GB"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA-8Sqctx8o?fs=1&hl=en_GB" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Edited by David_LivinginTalisay
  • Like 1

Jess Bartone

I saw a documentary about this, just brilliant. Hate to get on my soapbox on a Sunday morning... Oz is a country of back yard swimming pools, dozens of babies and toddlers drown in them every year because children have a natural affinity for water and are drawn to them. So what does the gumbyment do? Passes a law that all pools must be fenced. And what happens? Kids find a way in and drown anyway.

Why can't they sink funds into swimming programs for babies and make them drown proof? There is an advert on tv where the Oz Olympic swimming coach throws his baby Granddaughter in the water and she swims up to him with a "do it again Granddad, that's fun" kind of an attitude. She is completely confident and drown proof.

I'm not one for mandating people's lives into oblivion with endless laws, but this is education... it is compulsory to send your kids to school so why not include infant swimming in the education of kids?

• Like 2

TheDuke

I've always wondered the same thing since my wife can't swim either. It seems to me that if I was born on an island then the first thing I would learn to do is swim. I learned to swim when I was very young and have always been a very proficient swimmer and surfer. When I first visited the Philippines in the late 1980's I was riding in a shitty little boat from Mindanao to Camiguin Island to visit one of my pen pals. The boat was seriously overloaded with people to the point that I could reach out and place my hand in the water up to my forearm and some of the water was splashing into the boat. I started getting worried since I had read about all of the boat accidents in the Philippines and there were about 5 life jackets on the boat. I remember looking at Camiguin Island in the distance and thinking to myself that I could make it if I had to swim even though it may take me a couple of hours. I then started to calculate a plan of escape in case the boat capsized or sunk since one of the most frequent ways people drown is by other people who can't swim grabbing them in desperation and pulling them down. I was VERY happy when the boat finally got to the island.

Edited by TheDuke

broden

my wifes dad could swim great and he tried to teach his kids

the oldest son took to it but the others never did

though my wife can swim at need she can't swim very well

my own brother can swim but not what you would call properly, he can only swim underwater, very well though. he can't float at all he has negative buoyancy, sinks like a rock

back when he joined the navy someone tried to tell him he couldn't, not someone official, because of this. he told them he planned to stay on the boat and if it got blown up the ability to swim wouldn't help him that much especially in the middle of the ocean

loosehead

I saw a documentary about this, just brilliant. Hate to get on my soapbox on a Sunday morning... Oz is a country of back yard swimming pools, dozens of babies and toddlers drown in them every year because children have a natural affinity for water and are drawn to them. So what does the gumbyment do? Passes a law that all pools must be fenced. And what happens? Kids find a way in and drown anyway.

Why can't they sink funds into swimming programs for babies and make them drown proof? There is an advert on tv where the Oz Olympic swimming coach throws his baby Granddaughter in the water and she swims up to him with a "do it again Granddad, that's fun" kind of an attitude. She is completely confident and drown proof.

I'm not one for mandating people's lives into oblivion with endless laws, but this is education... it is compulsory to send your kids to school so why not include infant swimming in the education of kids?

i agree. Swimming lessons are included at the bloody expensive school my kids went to but mine were swimming before they reached kindergarden.

In the Philippines there are a couple of problems to overcome. Most don't like to spend leisure time in the sun for fear of going black and most would rather sit in the shade eating and drinking at the beach than do any physical exercise. In saying that, my wife was bought up on the beach and swims like a fish. Swimming lessons should be a subject at all Philippine schools that are within reasonable distance of a safe place to swim. It would help cool the kids down in the hottest part of the day andf get them out of those stinking hot classrooms.

• Like 1

David_LivinginTalisay

I am interested in trying to get an ISR Trained Instructor, here in the Philippines to teach Infants/Toddlers/Babies such Swimming/Survival Skills

See this Thread I started:-

Infant Swimming Resources (ISR) - trained Instructor Wanted

http://www.infantswim.com/company/index.html

Any chance we can form a Charity to make this happen?

Jess Bartone

When my son Jacob came home from hospital, I think 3 or 4 days old, I ran a deep bath, adjusted the temp using an aquarium thermometer to 37oC - body temp - got in, and had his mother hand him to me. I let him just lay on my chest until he relaxed, then turned him on his back just supporting his head. He panicked a little bit but I just kept talking to him and eventually he relaxed again. After a while he went from waving his hands and feet around wildly to paddling methodically to keep afloat and stable in the water, then he smiled and actually giggled. Slowly I reduced the support under his head until he was floating independently, and he loved it. From there we progressed to turning onto his stomach, where he had to lift his face up out of the water... again the mild panic and adjustment period, but all good. We did this a lot until I thought he was old enough to tolerate the high level chlorine at the public pool, and he virtually hit the water swimming. My baby boy is 31 now, and to this day, always has and I guess always will be, the first into the water and the last out.

Willie

Family lore always had it that my Uncle Paul was tossed into the river, circa 1910, at x-months old, and started to swim. He also was born with a full set of teeth.

My oldest son, born to an American woman, swims like a fish, as does she and I. My other three, born to my Chinese wife, aren't great swimmers -- yet. In part this is because my wife is afraid of the water -- Saigon Chinatown urban jungle girl -- and so we have never been a pool going family. No beach in Atlanta. However, I am in the process of giving "stroke lessons" (freestyle, breast, side, back) to my 16 year-old so that he and I can pursue lifeguard certification this winter. Great job for a teen guy! Moreover, I just believe that we should all swim well enough to save ourselves, and hopefully others. And enjoy the water. Will do the same for our 14 year-old daughter next year, although of the three she is the best swimmer thanks to previous lessons. Better late than never. Unfortunately, maybe too late for our 18 year-old. He's gone off to school now, and is the one most uncomfortable in the water -- just like his mom in so many ways, that boy.

Edited by Willie
  • Like 1

A_Simple_Man

A baby won't be able to regulate his body temperature very well until he's around 6 to 12 months old. We may think the temperature in pools and seas around Cebu are warm but I am sure it could kill a baby. Why am I so sure? I took a puppy into the water when he was only about 2 to 3 months old. I paid little attention to the fact the puppy was shivering because this is Cebu and we were in warm sea water. Had to be healthy for him, right? The puppy died within 12 hours.

• Like 1

SkyMan

It does amaze me that with so much water around they aren't all in the Olympics but I also think that superstition has a tendency to rule their lives. "It's dangerous to swim when it's hot out." And other such poppycock. I'm sure there is just an overarching attitude that if they don't go in the water, they can't drown. When I first met my wife she was 18 and she had never been in the pool or ocean which I quickly changed. I had never taught anyone to swim and I was determined she was going to learn. It took a long time and she actually was PADI certified before she could swim. For anyone looking to teach their wife to swim I recomend the following.

Buy her a mask, snorkel, fins and a wet suit. Take her a pool and if the wet suit is think enough she will float easily. In fact diving down would require work. Show her the strokes and let her play. Once she realizes she can't sink she'll have fun and most importantly relax. As she improves she will need less of the equipment. My wife is now a fish who can't get enough of going to the pool.

• Like 1

SkyMan

I agree with you but I wouldn't have a swimming pool that isn't fenced cause I know that even if 99% of the kids around can swim like fish there is always that 1% whose parents don't take the time to teach them anad they want to learn too so they try it out on your pool. Then the kid is dead and they're blaming you and your feeling like crap and nobody says to the parents, "How come you weren't watching your kid? and Why didn't you teach them how to swim?" Nope they just want to pin it on you.

• Like 1

misty

Took our 23 month old son for swimming lessons last summer vacation. He started off scared & uncomfortable. Crying and screaming his head off. lol He was enrolled when he was just 9 months old but we were not able to take him then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNSLkgFPBkU

Took him everyday even though he's not too thrilled & backs off when we've reached the hotel where the swimming lessons was conducted. My patience paid off eventually. :shocked: Aside from learning to swim, it also helped his social skills.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trQh18MyZAg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FNtPdUvudM

He also enjoyed swimming at Kawasan Falls when we went there last August. At first he doesn't like the cold & freezing water but later on he just won't get out. lol

• Like 1

Jess Bartone

I agree with you but I wouldn't have a swimming pool that isn't fenced cause I know that even if 99% of the kids around can swim like fish there is always that 1% whose parents don't take the time to teach them anad they want to learn too so they try it out on your pool. Then the kid is dead and they're blaming you and your feeling like crap and nobody says to the parents, "How come you weren't watching your kid? and Why didn't you teach them how to swim?" Nope they just want to pin it on you.

Absolutely, all pools should be fenced against stray kids, but my point was the knee-jerk reaction to a public outcry near an election. How about fences and universal swimming lessons, to go with universal education and universal health care? Too many of these tragic news stories involve adults drinking and partying inside the fence and not watching their kids who drown within a few feet of their inattentive drunken parents who then, as you say, want to pin the blame on someone else.

Took our 23 month old son for swimming lessons last summer vacation. He started off scared & uncomfortable. Crying and screaming his head off. lol He was enrolled when he was just 9 months old but we were not able to take him then.

Took him everyday even though he's not too thrilled & backs off when we've reached the hotel where the swimming lessons was conducted. My patience paid off eventually. :shocked: Aside from learning to swim, it also helped his social skills.

He also enjoyed swimming at Kawasan Falls when we went there last August. At first he doesn't like the cold & freezing water but later on he just won't get out. lol

Absolutely amazing transformation, what a pleasure to watch that little man swim, especially in the 2nd video when he gets water up his nose and comes up smiling anyway, turns around and jumps straight back in. Great post, thanks Misty.