• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marco88

• Cary

• udonthani

• Jess Bartone

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Marco   This is quite a long thread with info from you in drips and drabs, so let me recap

I have a hard time with topics like these - because I read so many responses that are uncomplimentary toward the Philippines in General and the women here specifically.   You do realize the the Ph

Hey Marco, dont let too many people moz ya, follow your gut instinct and enjoy the moment. Just dont strutt around like a peacock and if you plan to travel around at least make sure it is safe especi

Posted Images

RetiredNavyGuy

who's idea was it she meet you in cebu instead of some place closer to her home?

I believe it was mutual but as of today she is pushing for me to meet her in Dipolog (home town). She wants me to meet her friends.

I have been to Philippines a few times but never to Mindano. However I have worked overseas (Africa / Asia) for many years and am use to going to places that are not so nice.

Anyone been to Dipolog?

Have been through Dipolog a few times, going to and from the water taxi to Cebu City. Never saw anything that concerned me. However, that's not much information, I'm afraid.

The last thing you want to do is go around slinging money like a drunken sailor and bragging about all of your material possessions. That type of behavior is not endearing to a sincere filipina. Good luck.

But it is very endearing to scammers and green card sharks! I agree with the Duke, if you start throwing money around you will never know if she wants you for you, or for your money. Whatever precedent you set, be prepared for that to be expected of you forever.

Larry in Dumaguete

Will try not to spend like a drunken sailor. Not sure what she expects. She is 28 and works a is a clerical position in a hotel.

We friended each on facebook so it is easy to check out her stories and so far everything checks out. She has 250 or so friends so it would be difficult to hide a husband or boyfriend.

Marco

Definitely find out the chaparone situation. Also is she expecting you to pay for her upkeep in cebu?

I disagree with what others said... go CHEAP, act like you don't have money... if she sticks with you she's a winner. Don't make yourself a target.

She is 28 so I am hoping no chaparone. She lived in Cebu for several years so hope she can travel on her own.

who's idea was it she meet you in cebu instead of some place closer to her home?

I believe it was mutual but as of today she is pushing for me to meet her in Dipolog (home town). She wants me to meet her friends.

I have been to Philippines a few times but never to Mindano. However I have worked overseas (Africa / Asia) for many years and am use to going to places that are not so nice.

Anyone been to Dipolog?

Have been through Dipolog a few times, going to and from the water taxi to Cebu City. Never saw anything that concerned me. However, that's not much information, I'm afraid.

Water taxi in Cebu? How do you find out the schedule? Any idea how long it takes to go from Cebu to Dipolog? Any idea how much it costs? Thanks Marco

RogerDuMond

take her to eat at local restaurants ( McDonald, Jolleybee, etc.) where she will feel comfortable.

McDonalds and Jollibee? I won't argue with frugality, but show a little bit of class and go to decent restaurants.

RetiredNavyGuy

Anyone been to Dipolog?

Water taxi in Cebu? How do you find out the schedule? Any idea how long it takes to go from Cebu to Dipolog? Any idea how much it costs? Thanks Marco

Its been awhile now (like, a few years), but as memory serves it was about an hour, maybe plus a little. But I don't remember how much. A lot cheaper than airfare or the regular ferry, if I remember right. I don't remember if it was a separate private company, or operated by the ferry system. Your gf should be able to give you updated information since she lives there. If they still run, it beats the heck out of a plane to CDO or Zamboanga followed by a bus, or an overnight ferry to Osamiz followed by a bus.

Edited by RetiredNavyGuy

Marco;

Welcome. There is nothing mysterious or magical about meeting this girl. Its like as if you were going on a date with the girl next door - - be yourself. When you meet her she will probably be with family or friends. She may or may not allow you to hug her in public. Thats ok. Take it slow and you will know if things are clicking between you two soon enough. As far as what to do, bring some chocolate for her and her family, they will love it. Since you have been chatting with her why don't you ask her what she would like to do once you arrive. Other than that just be open to trying a different cuisine. The Filipino dishes are tasty to me and I think you will feel the same and also give her some ideas as to what you would like to do since she will be your tour guide in Cebu. Finally just relax and just enjoy yourself here.

I agree but alot of pressure for it to work. Fly half way around the world jus to meet someone.

Anyone been to Dipolog?

Its been awhile now (like, a few years), but as memory serves it was about an hour, maybe plus a little. But I don't remember how much. A lot cheaper than airfare or the regular ferry, if I remember right. I don't remember if it was a separate private company, or operated by the ferry system. Your gf should be able to give you updated information since she lives there. If they still run, it beats the heck out of a plane to CDO or Zamboanga followed by a bus, or an overnight ferry to Osamiz followed by a bus.

One hour from Cebu to Dipolog? Cebu city? That sounds like a good deal. Thanks Mark

Do not spend money like crazy here, taking her to a 5 star hotel, etc. That is insane. Anyone who suggests that has way too much money. Spend conservatively, as you would at home. You are not here to impress her with how much you can spend. You are, however, here to get to know her better.

I would suggest meeting her in Cebu and going to Dipolog together. Or, perhaps meet her in Dipolog, and come back to Cebu together. (There will be more to offer you both in the way of entertainment, etc., in Cebu, than there will be in Dipolog.

Anyone been to Dipolog?

You will not be in Dipolog from Cebu City in an hour, unless it is by plane. If you want boat schedules, look here: www.cebuboattrrips.com

One hour from Cebu to Dipolog? Cebu city? That sounds like a good deal. Thanks Mark

If you are talking flying, then yes. But, once again, no boat in this country can get you to Dipolog from Cebu City in one hour.

take her to eat at local restaurants ( McDonald, Jolleybee, etc.) where she will feel comfortable.

McDonalds and Jollibee? I won't argue with frugality, but show a little bit of class and go to decent restaurants.

I was just using those places as examples since most everyone is familiar with them. Of course he can take her to nicer restaurants but the point I was trying to make was that bringing her to a 5 star hotel and restaurant is not the precedent he should be setting. There's always someone who takes everything literally.

I have been to Dipolog City a couple of times to meet pen pals in the early 1990's. It is a pretty small city, if you want to call it that. More like a town. I flew in from Cebu City. There was a heavy military presence at the airport and in the city. I was advised by the family I was with and the manager at the hotel not to be wandering around after dark. I took their word for it and stayed close to the hotel.

I was just using those places as examples since most everyone is familiar with them. Of course he can take her to nicer restaurants but the point I was trying to make was that bringing her to a 5 star hotel and restaurant is not the precedent he should be setting. There's always someone who takes everything literally.

I have been to Dipolog City a couple of times to meet pen pals in the early 1990's. It is a pretty small city, if you want to call it that. More like a town. I flew in from Cebu City. There was a heavy military presence at the airport and in the city. I was advised by the family I was with and the manager at the hotel not to be wandering around after dark. I took their word for it and stayed close to the hotel.

Thanks for the advice. It is easy for some locals to discount the risk foreigners face in some cities. I will avoid wandering about alone after dark. Since you indicated it is a small city, I will try to get her to travel to Cebu after we meet in Dipolog.

So you are still in San Antonio? I lived there as a kid when my father was at Kelly AFB. Great city!

Marco

udonthani

I agree with those that have said that 5 star accomm is going to freak out the average Mindanao girl, and would be the last thing to do. Any reasonable pension house will be fine. Food, even Jollibee is quite extravagant for a lot of Filipinos. Why not let her take the driving seat with the cuisine and let her introduce you to pinoy food.

bit surprised she's ready to head over to Cebu from Mindanao though. Especially if she's ready to jump on a plane, which presumably you are paying for. Most Filipinos have never or hardly ever been off their home island and would think it as being quite an undertaking. If she's young her family would likely be more than a touch concerned for her, unless . . .

she's been to Cebu before. If she has, that could indicate that she might be rather more worldly than she may be letting on in her present form as an online phantom.

• Like 1

We friended each on facebook so it is easy to check out her stories and so far everything checks out. She has 250 or so friends so it would be difficult to hide a husband or boyfriend.

Marco

Have you ever heard of multiple accounts ?

• Like 2