Meeting a girl in Cebu

I a planning on traveling to Cebu in a month to meet a girl I have been chatting with on the phone and internet. Met her on DIA. She lives in Mindanao but will meet me in Cebu City.

Any do's or dont's for the first meeting? Five star dining / hotel vs three star? Do not want to start off on the wrong foot.

Thanks,

Marco

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Marco88

• Cary

• udonthani

• RetiredNavyGuy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Marco   This is quite a long thread with info from you in drips and drabs, so let me recap

I have a hard time with topics like these - because I read so many responses that are uncomplimentary toward the Philippines in General and the women here specifically.   You do realize the the Ph

Hey Marco, dont let too many people moz ya, follow your gut instinct and enjoy the moment. Just dont strutt around like a peacock and if you plan to travel around at least make sure it is safe especi

Posted Images

Marco;

Welcome. There is nothing mysterious or magical about meeting this girl. Its like as if you were going on a date with the girl next door - - be yourself. When you meet her she will probably be with family or friends. She may or may not allow you to hug her in public. Thats ok. Take it slow and you will know if things are clicking between you two soon enough. As far as what to do, bring some chocolate for her and her family, they will love it. Since you have been chatting with her why don't you ask her what she would like to do once you arrive. Other than that just be open to trying a different cuisine. The Filipino dishes are tasty to me and I think you will feel the same and also give her some ideas as to what you would like to do since she will be your tour guide in Cebu. Finally just relax and just enjoy yourself here.

Edited by Cary

who's idea was it she meet you in cebu instead of some place closer to her home?

• Like 1
Jess Bartone

Go 5 star all the way.

No need to cheap out.

You're such a naughty boy Douglas.

My advice is live exactly as you do at home, do nothing above and beyond your normal budget, you may well be setting the standard for a future together, so just be your normal self. If you set out to impress by flashing cash and spending up big, you need to look in the mirror and say "you are a fool, come back to earth, who are you trying to kid?".

To put it another way, do not set yourself up as a rich guy unless you really are. Read the forum archives, there are hundreds of sagas there.

I should ask, where in Mindanao is she from? Unless it's in one of the Muslim autonomous areas, I would be going down there to see where she is from and meet the family. In my opinion, you really do need to meet her on her home ground, she will be more natural and relaxed.

In the end, you will do what you want anyway, if the answers don't fit your plans.

• Like 2

Hi Marco, Welcome!!

Have you ever been to the Philippines before? If not, I would recommend a hotel from an American or European Chain - Hyatt, Hilton, Etc - Marco Polo is also very good that way you are assured of getting food you will recognize - Other than that - Unless you are used to the lifestyle, I wouldn't go overboard on the accommodations - meaning get a cheap room in a good hotel - you don't need the presidential suite.

You may also want to find a hotel that is relatively close to where your friend lives - make it easy for the both of you on your first meeting. Oh wait - I forgot she lives in Mindanao Like Robert asked - Why are you meeting here? How far is she from Davao - Davao is a nice place too -

What Cary said about Chocolate - very important - bring a lot - you will make so many points with everyone - bring some Cadbury Bars - and regular Hershey -

Other than that just play it my ear - see what happens and enjoy

Mike

Edited by mpt1947

Go 5 star all the way.

No need to cheap out.

Good call Diver.

Take to the Hi Rise next to Silver Dollar...do the skywalk thing...than do the Bikini bar and play doubles pool.

ps...these ladys know how to shoot pool!...world class.

Go 5 star all the way.

No need to cheap out.

Good call Diver.

Exactly

Treat yourself ( and the girl you are meeting ), to a vacation of a life time.

If you are making along flight to come here you may as well make the most of it.

• Like 1
JohnFromTexas

Definitely find out the chaparone situation. Also is she expecting you to pay for her upkeep in cebu?

I disagree with what others said... go CHEAP, act like you don't have money... if she sticks with you she's a winner. Don't make yourself a target.

• Like 1
  • Admin (Retired)

if you are serious about a long term relationship

be yourself

in all ways

I agree with the comments to be yourself. However, the advice given for you to stay at the Hilton, Marco Polo or places like the Waterfront is just nuts if they are serious. If she is from Mindanao then she is going to be blown away by those accommodations and get the wrong impression of you as some rich Kano (American). Stay is a nice, clean pension house like Casa Rosario http://www.casarosario.net/main.htm and take her to eat at local restaurants ( McDonald, Jolleybee, etc.) where she will feel comfortable. Most Filipinos don't eat at fancy restaurants and will feel intimidated by all of the grandeur. Visit places like Fort San Pedro and Cebu Taoist Temple located in Beverly Hills Subdivision in Lahug to sightsee and get to know her. She will probably have a family member with her as a chaperon so don't be surprised and use it to your advantage. They will know the language and the customs and can help you with the taxi drivers and the locals. I would also suggest buying chocolate for them so when you get there go to your local Mercury Pharmacy and buy some Toblerone bars. Other than that just relax and be yourself. That will put her and her family members at ease and set the tone for the meeting. Remember they are probably as nervous as you are. The last thing you want to do is go around slinging money like a drunken sailor and bragging about all of your material possessions. That type of behavior is not endearing to a sincere filipina. Good luck.

The last thing you want to do is go around slinging money like a drunken sailor and bragging about all of your material possessions. That type of behavior is not endearing to a sincere filipina. Good luck.

But it is very endearing to scammers and green card sharks! I agree with the Duke, if you start throwing money around you will never know if she wants you for you, or for your money. Whatever precedent you set, be prepared for that to be expected of you forever.

Larry in Dumaguete

richard90027

Definitely find out the chaparone situation. Also is she expecting you to pay for her upkeep in cebu?

I disagree with what others said... go CHEAP, act like you don't have money... if she sticks with you she's a winner. Don't make yourself a target.

Agree!!!!

who's idea was it she meet you in cebu instead of some place closer to her home?

I believe it was mutual but as of today she is pushing for me to meet her in Dipolog (home town). She wants me to meet her friends.

I have been to Philippines a few times but never to Mindano. However I have worked overseas (Africa / Asia) for many years and am use to going to places that are not so nice.

Anyone been to Dipolog?