Chinese interested in RP nickel project

JamesMusslewhite

It will be a jods boom for the Surigao City region. When they closed the mine in 1982 it effected 32,000 jobs. Surigao City is a small city but has a steady growing and improving infrastructure. Safe, clean. and business friendly; with plenty to see and do. The mine will be a welcome financial boost.

A_Simple_Man

Safe, clean. and business friendly; with plenty to see and do. The mine will be a welcome financial boost.

Thats the first time I've heard that said about a nickel mine. The resulting landscape around any nickel mine I have seen seems somewhat 'lunar'. People can easily google nickel mine landscape images from around the world. I have seen no long producing nickel mines in the Philippines so it may be different here but . . I doubt it.

JamesMusslewhite

Well I boat, fish, and snorkel throughout the little islands around Surigao City. This includes around the mining areas, where the waters are clean, coral abundant, and the surrounding waters and coastal areas provides sanctuary to numerous species of fish and aquatic life. The Philippines needs resources and jobs, and the mines have had a positive impact on this region. They also have been very careful to try to preserve the local ecology. On Dinagat island where I have our farm there is mining, and have seen these operations have contributed positively in the infrastructure of the island, with no major negative impact to the surrounding waters. The Bureau of Mines and Geosciences moved its regional headquarters in the city and keep a vigil eye on the local mining operations of this region.

Yes for those who are anti-mining, I am sure the Surigao City region should not exploit the 4th largest deposit in the world. they probably would be best not to try bettering themselves by creating jobs and supporting companies which will derive from this industery. They should just remain placid, poor, and resort to begging for hand outs, because some members might think mines are bad. I am sure you know better where ever you are, having never been here to see for yourselves. Classic.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
  • Like 1
JamesMusslewhite

Safe, clean. and business friendly; with plenty to see and do. The mine will be a welcome financial boost.

Thats the first time I've heard that said about a nickel mine. The resulting landscape around any nickel mine I have seen seems somewhat 'lunar'. People can easily google nickel mine landscape images from around the world. I have seen no long producing nickel mines in the Philippines so it may be different here but . . I doubt it.

That was in reference to Surigao City, but I have been around the areas of the mines. There are good at containing their mess within the boundaries of their properties, and not polluting or contaminating the surrounding areas.

No job is 'clean.' Some jobs are cleaner than others. Some jobs do less harm to the environment than others. But if this Chinese firm sets up shop here, does a reasonable effort to be safe and clean while offering steady employment to the local area, then let them come. They will bring something that the locals need and want - - jobs. True many of these jobs wont pay well but its better than nothing. And remember that as they are working they can provide a little bit something to their families. And as their children are able to go to school because they can afford to send them instead of having them beg in the streets, some of them can go on and be teachers, etc. and hopefully have a better life than their parents. But it starts with a job.

to "a simple man": i think he was saying that about the surigao city area, not a nickel mine.

the gravel pit a mile or so down the road from where i grew up looked quite "lunar" for 30+ years but when they were done they built a rather fancy subdivision on the land. of course a gravel pit is not a nickel mine.

to "the world in general": most types of mining have the potential to be a dirty nasty business where the benefits go to outsiders and the locals are screwed. but this need not be the case. you can't live in the modern world and be blanketly anti-mining. well, you can, but you would be a bit of a twit. what you can hope for is that the process is done properly so as to maximize the benefits and minimize the costs. whether or not it can be hoped for here, actually, i think it can be. but that is just me.

• Like 1
A_Simple_Man

I hope the mine goes well. It would be many years down the road before effects of pollutants show up. When I was a kid near Sudbury, Ontario people were thrilled with their jobs at the local nickel mine. now its 50 years later and the area within 50 miles is 'lunar'.

But technology has come a long way. I'm just mistrusting of a country that has a smog haze over its own country (China) that can be seen by satellite, that proposes to be friendly to the environment of the Philippines. I sincerely hope you are all right and I agree the short term benefits are huge.

I hope the mine goes well. It would be many years down the road before effects of pollutants show up. When I was a kid near Sudbury, Ontario people were thrilled with their jobs at the local nickel mine. now its 50 years later and the area within 50 miles is 'lunar'.

But technology has come a long way. I'm just mistrusting of a country that has a smog haze over its own country (China) that can be seen by satellite, that proposes to be friendly to the environment of the Philippines. I sincerely hope you are all right and I agree the short term benefits are huge.

my grandmother was from your neck of the woods and my grandfather from the bottom side of the lake near owen sound (go red wings!). i know the area that you speak of and i can certainly understand your concerns. i have them also. and then my fathers family is from kentucky coal mine country and the mountain topping that has been going on there is a damn shame. and to have the chinese running the show? scary. and yet, although i haven't been to the surigao city area, i suspect things can be done in an acceptable manner. but the locals should be given a clear idea of what the mines impacts will be because there will be impacts that will be long lasting.

JamesMusslewhite

No job is 'clean.' Some jobs are cleaner than others. Some jobs do less harm to the environment than others. But if this Chinese firm sets up shop here, does a reasonable effort to be safe and clean while offering steady employment to the local area, then let them come. They will bring something that the locals need and want - - jobs. True many of these jobs wont pay well but its better than nothing. And remember that as they are working they can provide a little bit something to their families. And as their children are able to go to school because they can afford to send them instead of having them beg in the streets, some of them can go on and be teachers, etc. and hopefully have a better life than their parents. But it starts with a job.

The mining authority here keeps a tight reign over the mines. The jobs are a big plus. When the mines closed in 1982 the area lost 32,000 jobs then 2 years later the area was hit with a major typhoon. It knocked Surigao City from a first class city to a third class city almost overnight. The city struggled and is now classified as second class city, poised to regain their first class rating. I have watched this city since the mid 80's and have watched it steadily improve. 132,000 good warm-hearted people make up this city, and I absolutely love living in this area and among the locals. There is an old time family value with the natives here. Most their problems stem from those who are moving into Surigao from other areas. Visayas Surigaonons are some of the best that the Philippines has to offer. They have earned the respect of other Filipinos as being honest hard working happy warm-hearted peoples.

They are aware of their environment and are trying not to allow problems that have plagued other parts of the Philippines to happen here. Is there problems? Yes, but they are doing the best they can. This a rich region and were I will probably live out my final days, if my wife does not kill me first. :thumbs_up:

JamesMusslewhite

I know that the local Mining Authority has refused contracts to other big companies, because they could not insure safety and environmental controls. They are also struggling with illegal timber cutting operations, dynamite and cyanide fishing, and the over fishing by commercial fishermen. They do not have the resources to patrol the waterways to prevent such exploitation of their natural resources. I hope that some of the monies collected from these mining operations, will provide the ability to conduct manned patrols to help police the areas of these criminal activities.