Our visa trip down bullshit wayWe applied for an IR-1 visa in august. 2009 Sept. 14,2010 1 Our application was sent

Again Robert;

I am sorry for the red tape and hoops you and your wife are going through. I am encouraged by what you said that the new lady in charge is by the book. i mean that because I am assuming she has read and is following the information that is on their website. So that being said, atleast when we go in there we know what to bring and do since she is by the book. I hope.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• smokey

• JohnFromTexas

• Cary

• shadow

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am certainly in no way pro bureaucracy but I think it might be good to point out a couple things to someone who might be applying for this type or really any type of visa somewhere down the road.  

"As soon as a person has the least amount of power, they will immediately begin to abuse it." It doesn't really matter what government they are part of, if government workers think they have some cont

Sorry to hear the catalogue of headaches for you and your wife Robert. Its scary reading your account

Edited by Elinel
tom_shor

Same old same old. The Philippines will NEVER advance. Watch Cambodia pass them by.

I think it's the US in this case...

:oldtimer:

So you think they will be passed by Cambodia soon?

:rofl:

Depends on how long Obama stays in office. :biggrin_01:

Headshot

"As soon as a person has the least amount of power, they will immediately begin to abuse it." It doesn't really matter what government they are part of, if government workers think they have some control over people's lives, they will abuse that control. Never mind that US embassies are supposed to help US citizens overseas. The US government has obviously taken the stand that any American male living in the Philippines must be scum...and therefore any Filipina who would associate with these Americans must be scum as well.

• Like 1

Robert,

I'm sitting here shacking my head and fist for you. Without going into my story, which would cover about 16 months of time, back in 1999/2000, dealing with me applying for Margie (who I had married in Cebu) for her spousal visa, I can only say this. Don't give up and keep your chin up. Sooner or later, they will run out of dead ends they lead you into, or treating you like a dog, chasing his own tail in circles.

I will say this, and I'm sorry I don't remember her name or contact number, but I did finaly call the US State Department, they do have power over imagration, and one woman there truly was an angle and helped us emensaly....This was after I had my Senator, and others try to help me, but really doing nothing for us....Try to contact the State Dept., and see if they can assist.

But best of luck anyways, and maybe someday I can share our horrer story with you. But one good thing out of it all, I think it really made us a strong couple... Fighting the good fight.

Ned and Margie

You know Bill, before my wife and I decided to live here in Manila we looked and thought very hard about staying in the States. So a filipina friend of mine from UCLA introduced me to the immigration lawyer that helped her and her mother get their green cards. Anyway, I went to his office and he started to drill me with questions such as; where did you meet, did you meet in a bar?, etc. After a few questions I got up and I was ready to hit the guy. He then said don't get mad, these are the types of questions that the government will ask both of you and more. That experience along with both our desires to live here eventually led me to the 13A visa. So yea I hear you and believe me I am ticked at the State dept. for their stance but I understand sort of that they are trying - - the honest ones in catching fraud.

"As soon as a person has the least amount of power, they will immediately begin to abuse it." It doesn't really matter what government they are part of, if government workers think they have some control over people's lives, they will abuse that control. Never mind that US embassies are supposed to help US citizens overseas. The US government has obviously taken the stand that any American male living in the Philippines must be scum...and therefore any Filipina who would associate with these Americans must be scum as well.

Headshot

You know Bill, before my wife and I decided to live here in Manila we looked and thought very hard about staying in the States. So a filipina friend of mine from UCLA introduced me to the immigration lawyer that helped her and her mother get their green cards. Anyway, I went to his office and he started to drill me with questions such as; where did you meet, did you meet in a bar?, etc. After a few questions I got up and I was ready to hit the guy. He then said don't get mad, these are the types of questions that the government will ask both of you and more. That experience along with both our desires to live here eventually led me to the 13A visa. So yea I hear you and believe me I am ticked at the State dept. for their stance but I understand sort of that they are trying - - the honest ones in catching fraud.

Like I've said before, when the US government actually starts rounding up the 12 to 20 million illegal aliens in our country who have entered without ANY visa at all, and sends them all home, then I will believe that the government is actually interested in preventing illegal immigration. So far, I have seen absolutely NO evidence of that. The only evidence I have seen so far is that the State Department (especially the US Embassy in Manila) enjoys making life miserable for US citizens who marry (or want to marry) foreign nationals.

Edited by Headshot

I am certainly in no way pro bureaucracy but I think it might be good to point out a couple things to someone who might be applying for this type or really any type of visa somewhere down the road.

Do not ever assume that what you ask of a gov't agency is what they hand you and really don't assume you asked for the right thing because they gave you what you wanted. If Robert had checked the spelling of his wife's name on the one NBI clearance, an easy mistake, it would have saved him a trip. You can't expect the Embassy personnel to not notice the BC and the NBI clearance don't match. I find it a little humorous there was an error on of my/wife's docs when we went to get married and it wasn't caught. It was my mistake and I'd have had to fix it if it had been caught but I was lucky. As an example, you could ask for an NBI clearance for Alvin Witherspoon born on Leyte June 18th, 1921 and they would see no derogatory reports for that info and if not they would give clearance. Just because no BC or any other info on this non existent person exists isn't relevant.

Also, this Manila Embassy website details the documentation required including that you need a clearance in all the various names a person has gone by in the past. I do think it's a little pickyuny to require a single document as opposed to one in each name but it is there. They really should spell out single clearance. The same applies to the police clearance and description is repeated there. That would have saved another trip or too.

Now, this doesn't excuse the window person from accepting the docs and not scrutinizing them right there before they left the Embassy but the people at the windows may be minimally trained whereas the scrutinizers may be quite backlogged. Still, if they have already checked someones application and asked for some additional info or documentation they should prioritize that to check it before they leave even if that makes them wait a couple hours.

All of this scrutinizing may seem over the top but it might actually be beneficial. Suppose the Embassy says ok, this is good enough, we'll send it on. Then 4 months later they call and say you were denied because your wife's name wasn't spelled right on your NBI clearance, sorry. I think that would suck more. my :biggrin_01:

Edited by SkyMan
  • Like 2

But I might not undergo what you went through but Roy (fixer) was thorough. He put me into a wringer as he asked both of us questions as he filled my application form. And he was not satisfied with a simple answer. Infact, I find the questions insulting, invasive and disrespectful to my finer feelings. I feel not one iota of my life was sacred from his questions. Its like being questioned by the Gestapo! (Not that I know anything about Gestapo mind) At that time I was furious with both him and my husband. Furious with Roy for asking such insulting questions and my husband for just sitting there and letting him ripped me up that I nearly gave up. But as Roy bluntly told me, he didn't care if im the blessed virgin mary or my feelings but he wants answer to his questions to his satisfaction as that is what my husband damn paid him for!

After that session with Roy, I was so drain, im lucky I didn't have an interview at the embassy except to confirm my name or I wouldn't know how I would behave then

• Like 1

Thanks for the post Skyman. I agree with you I am not a government guy either but I try to put myself in their shoes. And I mean the ones that actually work and you can tell which ones are working and are helpful because they are clearly in the minority. Just like I've posted before that I wish these employees know the basics of their jobs and updates which are usually on their websites. It would do us good to be as up to date on whatever issue we are dealing with before we had to the Embassy and consul and get frustrated.

Do not ever assume that what you ask of a gov't agency is what they hand you and really don't assume you asked for the right thing because they gave you what you wanted. If Robert had checked the spelling of his wife's name on the one NBI clearance, an easy mistake, it would have saved him a trip. You can't expect the Embassy personnel to not notice the BC and the NBI clearance don't match. I find it a little humorous there was an error on of my/wife's docs when we went to get married and it wasn't caught. It was my mistake and I'd have had to fix it if it had been caught but I was lucky. As an example, you could ask for an NBI clearance for Alvin Witherspoon born on Leyte June 18th, 1921 and they would see no derogatory reports for that info and if not they would give clearance. Just because no BC or any other info on this non existent person exists isn't relevant.

Also, this Manila Embassy website details the documentation required including that you need a clearance in all the various names a person has gone by in the past. I do think it's a little pickyuny to require a single document as opposed to one in each name but it is there. They really should spell out single clearance. The same applies to the police clearance and description is repeated there. That would have saved another trip or too.

Now, this doesn't excuse the window person from accepting the docs and not scrutinizing them right there before they left the Embassy but the people at the windows may be minimally trained whereas the scrutinizers may be quite backlogged. Still, if they have already checked someones application and asked for some additional info or documentation they should prioritize that to check it before they leave even if that makes them wait a couple hours.

All of this scrutinizing may seem over the top but it might actually be beneficial. Suppose the Embassy says ok, this is good enough, we'll send it on. Then 4 months later they call and say you were denied because your wife's name wasn't spelled right on your NBI clearance, sorry. I think that would suck more. my twocents.gif

• Like 1
tom_shor

Like I've said before, when the US government actually starts rounding up the 12 to 20 million illegal aliens in our country who have entered without ANY visa at all, and sends them all home, then I will believe that the government is actually interested in preventing illegal immigration. So far, I have seen absolutely NO evidence of that. The only evidence I have seen so far is that the State Department (especially the US Embassy in Manila) enjoys making life miserable for US citizens who marry (or want to marry) foreign nationals.

Yes when people start complaining about illegal immigration they make it more difficult and expensive to do it legally. I don't see the connection but I guess they do.

JohnFromTexas

I'm not sure about this 'by the book' person at the embassy. I reviewed the official instructions for the affidavit of support, and there is no requirement listed for the sponsor or cosponsor to submit tax returns (Instr-I134). in fact, tax returns are only listed for use as a supporting document if you are self employed and then only one year's worth, not two. So how is requiring two years from co-sponsors 'by the book'?

JohnFromTexas

Hey Robert how long were the lines/wait at the embassy to file your paperwork? Going week after next to file mine.

Elinel,

Are you sure the experence you described was when you applied for a visa? I went through the whole visa process and never heard any insulting or embarrassing questions asked to anyone. Maybe you were being investigated for criminal activity.

Thank you for your condescending comment!

Perhaps, if youve take time to read my post

Headshot

I'm not sure about this 'by the book' person at the embassy. I reviewed the official instructions for the affidavit of support, and there is no requirement listed for the sponsor or cosponsor to submit tax returns (Instr-I134). in fact, tax returns are only listed for use as a supporting document if you are self employed and then only one year's worth, not two. So how is requiring two years from co-sponsors 'by the book'?

The requirement IS in the instructions for filling in the 'affidavit of support' questionaire. I just filled it out, and indeed, you ARE required to provide the tax returns for last year. You must also state your current annual income and your income for the two years preceeding the tax return year. It makes no mention of being self employed. I think you only need a co-sponsor if you can't show sufficient potential annual income to support your spouse in the US without help from others (I think their line is about twenty thousand dollars a year). Being self-employed means that economic shifts could adversely affect your income, and therefore calls your potential income into question, regardless of your past income. Of course, I realize that being employed by someone else doesn't protect you from the economy, but this is just one of those points where they are able to harrass the applicant and sponsor if they want...so they do.