Sign in to follow this  
USMC-Retired

Watching Streaming TV

USMC-Retired

As the American Football season approached I noticed that alot of people are wanting to watch Football on the TV at home. However for the Non-tech Savy this can be a troubling experience.

Last season I did not miss a single Minnesota Viking game and streamed them all on my computer or I piped them out to my Television set.

I can accomplish this for you. I can set your computer up to watch all your favorite football team or set it up to watch some of you favorite shows.

Discovery, AXN, US Television and all the sports your heart can want. Also can set up the proxy so you can watch Hulu Fancast Netflixs. (All subscription based)

What is required of you is. At least a internet 1MB line at computer with 1MB ram and 1.66 speed. Test your internet speed at www.speedtest.net Computer must be in general location of TV or cabling is required. just makes it easier for you.

The cost to set up can vary depending on your hardware you currently have. Or what you want. However for under 5,000 pesos I can set up 95% of systems to accomplish it. I am in Cebu so guess what.

If you are interested then Please PM Norseman and Paul (ADMIN) as this is a joint effort.

Granted most of the things I will provide you can do yourself and I have posted in computer section and article on being a relocated couch potato. Most items are free to use just getting them to work may be difficult for some.

If you wish or need help setting up you can PM me. I will provide you with all the information and links you need. So again I will try and help anyone for free to watch this.

stagger

If you can get the Golf Channel and live Rugby I am definitely interested!

Got a PLDT connection with 1.3 Meg download speed.

USMC-Retired

Yes sir those are both available. The Golf Channel from the US is one of my favorites.

CardiacKid

Tim, Thanks for the offer but your PC requirements have me baffled.I think you meant to say that I need at least 1 GB of RAM, not 1 MB. Even Linux needs more than 1 MB of RAM to operate. Windows XP with SP2 needs 256 MB of RAM. I'm just a squid busting ass on a jarhead. For those who cannot meet the minimum speed requirements, search for NFL at http://www.kickasstorrents.com/ They have some of the games you can download as a torrent.

USMC-Retired

oops well it was not exactly correct. Yes 1 GB...

USMC-Retired

I have gotten several PM's primarily from the users of MACs and wanting to use these programs. Yet they are not available via your MAC.

To stream these sporting events using these programs you will need a program called. Crossover. It creates a windows environment so that they can run on your MAC.

CROSSOVER PROGRAM

It is not a free program and cost 39.99 however it will work you must also install

What I have done now is create a MINI PC BOX that connects to your TV and will use internet and you surf right from your TV. The box is plug and play it is neat. SopCast, TVANTS TVU, STREAMTORRENT few others are all just there and you can surf TV like clicking the remote. Though a little slower it must buffer 12 seconds before they play. (These are available via already cost is very high) However it has the programs right there and via wireless mouse you just click your programs and schedule guides and can watch them over the TV. Again getting ready for the RYDER Cup and my football tomorrow. I may just record them and watch when I get up. Since no one can be a spoiler here for me. I like the commercials I never thought I would miss a Bud light commercial.

The Box is 11,000 pesos and comes with a 6 month warranty. Also since I am using the box I will be doing the upgrades as things change and those will be free. There will be patches as time goes on and channels come and go. All in all complete ready to plug in the TV and use. It does need either a wireless connection or access to lan connection (router or switch)

I thought I would add just a few Channels that I am watching not to include sports:

Discovery

History

HBO (Mexico)

Fox

AXN CI

AXN

Star Movies

Star

ABC

CBS

TNT

WB

Comedy Channel

ESPN ( 4 countries )

Plus over 10,000 movies streaming

There is much more but these are just a few all free

Edited by Norseman

tim

Norseman

What a great deal for someone like me who plan's to stay in the Cebu area someday. I would miss my USA sports and that would cut in my beer drinking with out the help that U are offering.... I hope your service plans work out and U or someone will keep up the work for some of us who are still planning on staying in Cebu for long term visits in the future.

USMC-Retired

The box idea came about because of the number of questions to get a Mac to work. It is simple the box is a little bigger then a toaster. It is a computer and runs like a computer. It is loaded with Windows XP.

However it is pre programed to allow you to stream out directly to your TV. You can record your shows for later viewing or watch them live. It is just setup primary for ease of use. Links are already provided and the programs are pre installed.

The only thing I do not like is the instant viewing of channels. I have to wait up 20 seconds for a channel to load. As it must buffer ahead. Plus you must navigate on the internet as location for certain sporting events change each week. However it is on your TV and wireless keyboard is provided, you just point click and they open. This is not as easy as the remote on your TV. Yet it is highly functional and really easy to find what you want. Again it can be done with your current PC or even with a MAC. This is an option that I like. As my computer is not tied up streaming.

stagger

Finally got my Mac up and streaming using the Crossover system and your other advice!

Thanks once again for all your help!

Definitely owe you a few drinks of your choice when we meet up!

Ricky

I use overplay.net and pay a monthly subscription which gives me a choice of servers in most countries in the world. (Choice of 10 in the UK, 10 in the USA, 4 in Australia, 2 in Canada)

With a 3mbps PLDT line it seems to stream at around 650kbps, which works ok for iPlayer. Some times of the day it can take a bit of time to buffer, or I need to change servers, but it is generally ok. The good side with iPlayer is that you can download the programs overnight or during the day to watch later.

I bought a 15,000 php computer just for streaming TV in the bedroom and am very happy with it.

Edited by Ricky