RP's wish list for 2011

INTERNATIONAL AIRPORTS and new light rail projects will make up part of a list of 10 priority projects that will be implemented in 2011 through government partnerships with the private sector.

Budget Secretary Florencio B. Abad said Friday that aside from key tourism-related infrastructure, the short list would also include general public works and agricultural facilities like irrigation.

The Philippines has lagged behind its neighbors in attracting investors due to the country
The Philippines has lagged behind its neighbors in attracting investors due to the country's poor infrastructure facilities.

That is certainly true, but is just one of the reasons for low investment.

A mix of public and private funding can work in some specific cases, but is very expensive in the long term, and may not be as popular as they expect.

I can also foresee some reluctance to take part in this by some investors. I doubt that any German companies will want to get involved, for example.

Maybe there are lots of other companies who are waiting in line to build a brand new airport without getting paid.

The Germans are one of the reasons investors are reluctant to invest in the RP.

The Philippines has lagged behind its neighbors in attracting investors due to the country's poor infrastructure facilities.

That is certainly true, but is just one of the reasons for low investment.

A mix of public and private funding can work in some specific cases, but is very expensive in the long term, and may not be as popular as they expect.

I can also foresee some reluctance to take part in this by some investors. I doubt that any German companies will want to get involved, for example.

CardiacKid

While the line for RP investments might be short in the EU, U.S., and Canada the same does not hold true for the Chinese and the Koreans. Used to playing the corruption game at home, they hold their own with the RP. No matter how they present it, it still results in the trapos getting richer and everyone else getting shafted.

sandwindstars

There's a story behind Fraport. They played the corruption game and they lost. The Asians know how to play the game better. It's just the way of business.