Sign in to follow this  
billten

How to have a baby without getting screwed

FarEast

I spent 4 days and your correct its cheaper but it does not compare to a us hospital not in any way or shape,, First the CR when i checked in it did not work no problem the plumber was there most of the day, second the bottom 4 inches of the door to the cr was black with some kind of mold due to the cr leaking,,, every hour on the hour i was woke up by a smiling nurse in training like a lab rat i was check and re checked each nurse trying hard to do everything correct... the day of the surgery i was taken to the surgery room doped up and had to sit there for 4 hours as the material they needed was out of stock and they were waiting for another hospital to deliver, After the operation i was still woke up every hour on the hour ... sir are you sleeping well was the most common question... On the mold that i complained about the frigging painter was there painting while i was in the room trying not to breath because it hurt so much... 4 days i was there i lived thru the plumber and the painter and every hour i was woke up i was CHARGED for nursing services ,,, the day i checked out i was given the bill of course it was higher then they thought by 70,000p the total cost was 302,000 p so they came in the room with a wheel chair and i was offered a ride to the ATM machine ... The operation went well and it cost less then the US but you get less ......

Robert51,

Your experience was horrible and that is a place to avoid for sure. Can you tell the name of the hospital please?

Jess Bartone

What is it about looking at baby photos that makes a (this) man's soul stir to it's most primal core?

Congratulations Bill and Sperman.

billten

There were several people who PM'ed me asking for details of the place i went. The place is a complete b!tch to find. I suggest taking a cab and giving him the directions:

Margarita birthing home, luyo sa perpetual hospital ug kilid sa Montessori school dong. You know you are there when you see a big (really big) bright orange metal gate. There is a tiny sign but if you don't know the place is there, you would never tell it had a fully equipped delivery room inside.

If not then here is the completely useless contact info, i challenge anyone to find the place with this address:

Margarita Birthing Home

Sitio Buli, Kamputhaw, Cebu

(32) 232-0242

The boss lady who lives on premises and personally delivers the babies is Madam Margarita Duhac (that's Madam with a capital M), not a woman i would willingly cross ;-) Ask for Chad, his English is excellent and he is a really nice guy. He can explain everything.

One last thing i wanted to mention, we took Junior back yesterday to have his newborn genetic screening (a bargain at P650) and i made a point of going to see Madam Margarita to thank her for the excellent service and experience we had during our stay. Get this, she told me that last year they REDUCED their prices, they took the cost of delivery from about 5t to 3t and started giving all women who wanted it, pre-natal care for free.

Why? Because she wanted to help the women of Cebu and was already wealthy, as she says, "so why do i need more money? it just causes more trouble". I am very impressed.

This place is not for everyone, it does NOT handle high risk deliveries or deliveries with a likelihood of problems, those they automatically refer. For the mainstream of deliveries though, the place is spotlessly clean and totally focused on taking care of the women and babies that come through the door, regardless of the $. A very rare thing in Cebu today...

Edited by billten
  • Like 2

cebubird

Just wanted to say how nice it was to meet you and your lovely wife and the 2day old addition yesterday in Gaisanos.

My wife and I were wandering around in the baby section trying to figure out wht to buy for our upcoming addition and I suggested asking this woman who was holding a very tiny baby. we did, and up walked Bill and introduced himself and wife and gave us a lot of tips. You arae the first forum member I have met like this and we both really appreciated the time you spent with us as well as the advice you so willingly gave us.

We talked all the way back to Argao about how nice you both were to us. Hope to take yhou up on the invite.

To other forum members---this is a really nice couple and a REAL plus for this forum.

Bill

• Like 1

SkyMan

This place is not for everyone, it does NOT handle high risk deliveries or deliveries with a likelihood of problems, those they automatically refer. For the mainstream of deliveries though, the place is spotlessly clean and totally focused on taking care of the women and babies that come through the door, regardless of the $. A very rare thing in Cebu today...

That's a bit of the rub though isn't it? There are problem deliveries that don't look like they problems until somewhere in the delivery. My sister was all hot on this home birthing/midwife thing. Not that she couldn't afford the hospital but it was her brand of yuppy kind of thing to do. Then there was a problem and she had to be rushed to the hospital after a long labor. Lots of bleeding, baby had no oxygen for too long. He seems to be doing ok now but he's did have mild learning/developmental disabilities growing up. It ended up costing her a lot more and of course we'll never really know what would have been different if she had been in a hospital to begin with.

Headshot

Were you in the room for the delivery or was that allowed?

I would like to know the same thing. In the States, it is common for the father to be with his wife during delivery, but my wife tells me it isn't allowed here. It seems to me that there is nothing wrong with it as long as the father scrubs and is suited up. What is the straight scoop, guys? Has anyone (fathers) been able to attend the birth of their children here in the Philippines? Or were you blocked from the delivery room? What were the circumstances where you were or were not allowed to be there?

ArnoldHunter

such a wonderful baby.

very cute indeed.

billten

Just wanted to say how nice it was to meet you and your lovely wife and the 2day old addition yesterday in Gaisanos.

My wife and I were wandering around in the baby section trying to figure out wht to buy for our upcoming addition and I suggested asking this woman who was holding a very tiny baby. we did, and up walked Bill and introduced himself and wife and gave us a lot of tips. You arae the first forum member I have met like this and we both really appreciated the time you spent with us as well as the advice you so willingly gave us.

We talked all the way back to Argao about how nice you both were to us. Hope to take yhou up on the invite.

To other forum members---this is a really nice couple and a REAL plus for this forum.

Bill

Wow, thanks a lot! It was nice to meet you too, hope all goes well with the delivery ;-)

Drop in at the farm anytime...

billten

That's a bit of the rub though isn't it? There are problem deliveries that don't look like they problems until somewhere in the delivery. My sister was all hot on this home birthing/midwife thing. Not that she couldn't afford the hospital but it was her brand of yuppy kind of thing to do. Then there was a problem and she had to be rushed to the hospital after a long labor. Lots of bleeding, baby had no oxygen for too long. He seems to be doing ok now but he's did have mild learning/developmental disabilities growing up. It ended up costing her a lot more and of course we'll never really know what would have been different if she had been in a hospital to begin with.

One of the main reasons i chose the Margarita birthing home is that it's about 10 meters away from an excellent hospital, Perpetual Succor. I discussed this with Chad, one of the nurses at the birthing home. They have a wheelchair for exactly that reason, if the birth starts to go badly they take the patient directly to the hospital admitting. I estimate you could go from birthing home to hospital in about 90 seconds...

Incidentally, Krissy's labor was very long (she was in full labor for about 16 hours) and i know for a fact that she would have been pushed hard to have a c-sect elsewhere. Margareta is well equipped (oxygen, monitors and such) and were able to monitor the baby and it was fine throughout so they just kept telling her to chill out, relax and let things evolve naturally.

Edited by billten

billten

Were you in the room for the delivery or was that allowed?

I was there and there was absolutely no problems with it. In fact Madam Margareta acted like she expected me to be there, telling me to do this and that with Krissy and then leaving us to it. Our first baby was born in Cheung Hua and they gave us a lot of nonsense at the beginning, i made it clear that i was going nowhere and they backed down after a while. Assholes made me dress up like a surgeon (all over scrubs, mask and everything while they were mostly in street clothes or uniforms, i think it was just a power play.

kavorka

My daughter was born at Chung Hua and we had fantastic service and paid a total of P46,000. We had our own obgyn and her charges are included in this total. It also includes all the other charges and 3 nights in a private suite.

I was able to attend the birth. All that was required was to write a letter to the Medical Director at Chung Hua requesting permission. I dropped this letter at her office and collected it a week later, no problems.

OFW Filipina

Congrats that Krissy and your son are doing ok. Please give pics. As for the high costs for the tests, sadly thats what most of the money goes.. tests, fees and salaries. But again congrats. Me and my wife are still hoping for our 1st.phil.gif

Cary, don't give up, just Pray and soon you can have.

Me and my wife are still hoping for our 1st.

Congrats that Krissy and your son are doing ok. Please give pics.

Don't give up. I had a vas reversal surgury in Manila in 2004 and then after that it took 5 years to work. The only time Krissy got pregnant was when we both forgot about how bad we wanted another kid and got on with things. Then, bang, away you go. Strange but true...

I thought you guys would be bored with more bloody baby pix, but as you asked (proud dad, what can i say ;-)))

Here is Junior at 3 hours old.

CONGRATULATION Billten

Baby is always make as happy and can take away our tiredness.Make us smile and hope.

God Bless!

spooks

Congrats that Krissy and your son are doing ok. Please give pics. As for the high costs for the tests, sadly thats what most of the money goes.. tests, fees and salaries. But again congrats. Me and my wife are still hoping for our 1st.phil.gif

Cary, don't give up, just Pray and soon you can have.

Me and my wife are still hoping for our 1st.

Congrats that Krissy and your son are doing ok. Please give pics.

Don't give up. I had a vas reversal surgury in Manila in 2004 and then after that it took 5 years to work. The only time Krissy got pregnant was when we both forgot about how bad we wanted another kid and got on with things. Then, bang, away you go. Strange but true...

I thought you guys would be bored with more bloody baby pix, but as you asked (proud dad, what can i say ;-)))

Here is Junior at 3 hours old.

CONGRATULATION Billten

Baby is always make as happy and can take away our tiredness.Make us smile and hope.

God Bless!

Our son was born last month in Perpetual, manila. this was c section but held into the last week of normal pregnancy as we had hoped for natural child birth Cost was 200,000 pesos which included two operations on him and extra care.a normal child birth would have been about 80, 000 all in. The c Section and his additional care boosted the costs dramatically. i wonder if the C section had been done two weeks earlier then his special care may not have been needed!! sometime s C section can be cheaper. He was almost 8lbs which is about 2 lb heavier than most normal delivery for pinoy babies. Have to face it guys, with a kano in the mix size does matter :(

Ricky

As promised, a breakdown of the delivery costs in Chong Hua.

Our new baby Son, Joshua, was welcomed into the world at Chong Hua on Friday (10th Sep 2010). Due to complications (previous postpartum heamorrhage, and mother has Alpha Thalassaemia), we had required an Anaesthetist and Heamatologist on standby at all times.

We were advised that a normal deliver is around 40,000 PHP, and know that other patients paid around 38,000 PHP roughly. Our costs were increased because of having a total of 4 doctors involved in the delivery, including the Hospital Director. Also Marvie underwent an Epidural, and was hospital induced into labour since despite the waters breaking she never commenced contractions.

Our total costs on discharge today came to 73,173 PHP, which to be honest we are very happy with.

In all honesty, with the history of complications and this being a high risk pregnancy I would not have considered having the baby delivered at any other hospital in Cebu then Chong Hua. Earlier this year I took Marvie to see some senior doctors in the UK who made a detailed report on how the delivery should take place and what preparations should be in place and Chong Hua's findings thankfully concurred with all of this.

The procedures at the Chong Hua were very good, on arrival Marvie was given an examination, then once they decided she was definately in labour, they called the OB/GYN and I went to the admissions. Yes, I was required to pay a deposit of 10,000 PHP onto the account, this could be paid by cash or card.

A private room was organised for 1700 php per day and included a daybed and bedding for me to stay with her. We were provided with all the kits and equipment we would need immediately. I was informed at all stages, and was asked for permission before the Epidural was given (we had also discussed this prior). I also was invited in for the delivery of the baby at the final stages.

I can say that all of the Doctors we encountered (although they were the senior doctors), were excellent, spoke English at all times and we're very informative. Also, all of the doctors we encountered have been for training and seminars in the Europe and USA recently, and seemed aware of new procedures in these countries.

So, to be completely honest, I would recommend this hospital for high risk pregnancies, and would highly recommend it as your backup if ever some complications presented themselves should you be delivering your baby elsewhere. It is expensive, and you are paying for the facilities, equipment and availability of expertise.

I would say the hospital isn't as good as the hopsitals we used in Manila (St Lukes and Manila Doctors Hospital), and isn't quite the quality of an average UK state hospital. But for a city other then the capital in a 3rd World Country, it's pretty good.

I can't compare it against other hospitals in Cebu, as I haven't had a baby delivered in others, but have visited other hospitals on occasions whilst doing volounteer work and visiting family, and would choose Chong Hua over the ones I did visit.

Breakdown of Costs

Central Supply Room 651.30

Delivery Room 15,825.60

Laboratory 2,849.50

Nursery 926.16

Pharmacy 7,746.75 + 645.78

Room Accomodation 4900.00

Main OB/GYN 20,000

Secondary OB/GYN 4,800

Anaethetist 8,000

Pediatrician 7,500

billten

Congrats Ricky, glad all went well for you...

Again, this is an example of a guy who DID HIS HOMEWORK and made a decision as to what he wanted and what he was willing to pay for. Big respect to all that do this, unfortunately its all too easy to allow the OB and doctors to slide you along without you making any decisions, just 'going with the flow'. Usually this ends up with the Kano hugely out of pocket.