Sign in to follow this  
billten

How to have a baby without getting screwed

SkyMan

Congrats to you and the misses and Happy Birthday to your son! Glad you found the type of place and price you were looking for.

I should point out that p150T is still pretty cheap compared to typical US deliveries. Also, they don't generally give you anything close to a concrete price because they don't want to scare you off and they don't want you to come back pissed off if your delivery cost more than what they had told you.

Your second OB/GYN said to consider the possibility of a CSection. That's good advice really. So often here they do a section by slicing her from stem to stern ruining her abdomen permanently. Everyone should research this possibility even if you want to avoid it. Make sure you know who is doing that surgery and how they are going to do it. When a delivery goes bad it's probably too late to make sure it gets done right.

I plan to avoid the hassle of wondering how it gets done so when that time comes, maybe in a couple years, my wife will have a scheduled CSection in Bumrunngrad hospital in Bangkok. They quoted me 69K Baht for a normal CSection including 4 days postpartum care. About $2200 plus airfare and a week or two hotel stay. Probably about the same cost as the p150K quoted by Chung Hua.

FIRST I WANT TO SAY THAT IS GREAT YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW BABY NOTHING BRINGS A PERSON SUCH JOY AS A BABY TO LOVE..

Sky have you spent any time in a hospital here in the Philippines???? I spent 4 days and your correct its cheaper but it does not compare to a us hospital not in any way or shape,, First the CR when i checked in it did not work no problem the plumber was there most of the day, second the bottom 4 inches of the door to the cr was black with some kind of mold due to the cr leaking,,, every hour on the hour i was woke up by a smiling nurse in training like a lab rat i was check and re checked each nurse trying hard to do everything correct... the day of the surgery i was taken to the surgery room doped up and had to sit there for 4 hours as the material they needed was out of stock and they were waiting for another hospital to deliver, After the operation i was still woke up every hour on the hour ... sir are you sleeping well was the most common question... On the mold that i complained about the frigging painter was there painting while i was in the room trying not to breath because it hurt so much... 4 days i was there i lived thru the plumber and the painter and every hour i was woke up i was CHARGED for nursing services ,,, the day i checked out i was given the bill of course it was higher then they thought by 70,000p the total cost was 302,000 p so they came in the room with a wheel chair and i was offered a ride to the ATM machine ... The operation went well and it cost less then the US but you get less ......

Yes, that was about my experience in Cebu North General. Although I did spend a few days in a US hospital too and was woken up far too often there too. That is really about the most annoying thing they can do too. Wake me up to ask me how I am sleeping? Does that make sense to anyone?

Ok, so you're right the quality isn't as high and that probably makes up for the price. But from what I understand the quality of care at Bumrungrad is much higher, near US even.

Athena

Congrulations Bill - 3x times Dad.......... Good to hear mother and son doing well ............

Now.......... were awaiting for the christening invites to arrive in our doors biggrin_01.gif

SkyMan

Me and my wife are still hoping for our 1st.

Congrats that Krissy and your son are doing ok. Please give pics.

Don't give up. I had a vas reversal surgury in Manila in 2004 and then after that it took 5 years to work. The only time Krissy got pregnant was when we both forgot about how bad we wanted another kid and got on with things. Then, bang, away you go. Strange but true...

I thought you guys would be bored with more bloody baby pix, but as you asked (proud dad, what can i say ;-)))

Here is Junior at 3 hours old.

Very cute and resting comfortably. Were you in the room for the delivery or was that allowed?

sperman

hope this pic loads ok, here's my latest product at 2 days old, born 21-8-2010. not from chong wah, but in oz. even then the local medicos were at pains to find something wrong with my wife. 1st it was hyper throid which an ultra sound proved was quite healthy. then it was lack of protein which a subsequent doctor refuted. then it was excessive amniotic fluid needing an ultra sound. we refused and said no more. they measured the curve of the abdomen and it was 32cm. at 27 weeks. "it should be 1cm for every week!" oh, how convenient i said. that was the midwife. the doc came in and said its 28cm. m-wife measures again and gets 30cm. doc measures again and gets 28cm. on the strength of that they want ultra sound. i'd say they are ultra ignorant! then right before delivery, "you have herpes anti-bodies". they must have said it 5 times. no, we dont have it, have never had it and are not interested. after the birth, we refused all vacinations, vitamin K, celdrake for venous thrombosis but did accept a hearing test which we already new was a waste of time anyway. they probably had 6 "shots" from various people at trying to give baby vacinations before they gave up.

he was following our movements with his eyes on day one. he was startled by moderate noise. and now at least 3 times he appears to be trying to turn on his side, at 11 days? he already grasps the nipple in his fingers, but probably got that from me.

post-7573-128342890923_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Cary

Congrats Spermanbiggrin_01.gif

hope this pic loads ok, here's my latest product at 2 days old, born 21-8-2010. not from chong wah, but in oz. even then the local medicos were at pains to find something wrong with my wife. 1st it was hyper throid which an ultra sound proved was quite healthy. then it was lack of protein which a subsequent doctor refuted. then it was excessive amniotic fluid needing an ultra sound. we refused and said no more. they measured the curve of the abdomen and it was 32cm. at 27 weeks. "it should be 1cm for every week!" oh, how convenient i said. that was the midwife. the doc came in and said its 28cm. m-wife measures again and gets 30cm. doc measures again and gets 28cm. on the strength of that they want ultra sound. i'd say they are ultra ignorant! then right before delivery, "you have herpes anti-bodies". they must have said it 5 times. no, we dont have it, have never had it and are not interested. after the birth, we refused all vacinations, vitamin K, celdrake for venous thrombosis but did accept a hearing test which we already new was a waste of time anyway. they probably had 6 "shots" from various people at trying to give baby vacinations before they gave up.

he was following our movements with his eyes on day one. he was startled by moderate noise. and now at least 3 times he appears to be trying to turn on his side, at 11 days? he already grasps the nipple in his fingers, but probably got that from me.

Easyrider

The doctors and hospital here are crooks just like in the USA. Why should they charge someone P150,00 to P300,000 for something that is a natural process. My Filipino mother-in-law had 7 babies, which were all very health. The first cost P1,500. and the other 6 cost between P700 to P800 each. I wonder how much a hospital would charge me to take a shit in there?

Mailman

Congratulations all around! :)

My wife gave birth to our beautiful daughter at OSPA in Ormoc. She delivered one month premature. My wife was admitted (private room) for four days total before delivery and our baby girl spent an additional three days in an incubator. She did not have a c-section although the doctors seemed to be pushing it on to us. She ended up having an epideral and labor was induced.

Total cost upon discharge: 55,000 PhP

This was over 3 years ago.

toshi

i might add that our doctor actually did not want to do a c section, but after many hours of labor, she decided to do it anyway...

(the baby was 9 pounds and 57 cm)

tom_shor

Congrats to you and the misses and Happy Birthday to your son! Glad you found the type of place and price you were looking for.

I should point out that p150T is still pretty cheap compared to typical US deliveries. Also, they don't generally give you anything close to a concrete price because they don't want to scare you off and they don't want you to come back pissed off if your delivery cost more than what they had told you.

Your second OB/GYN said to consider the possibility of a CSection. That's good advice really. So often here they do a section by slicing her from stem to stern ruining her abdomen permanently. Everyone should research this possibility even if you want to avoid it. Make sure you know who is doing that surgery and how they are going to do it. When a delivery goes bad it's probably too late to make sure it gets done right.

I plan to avoid the hassle of wondering how it gets done so when that time comes, maybe in a couple years, my wife will have a scheduled CSection in Bumrunngrad hospital in Bangkok. They quoted me 69K Baht for a normal CSection including 4 days postpartum care. About $2200 plus airfare and a week or two hotel stay. Probably about the same cost as the p150K quoted by Chung Hua.

FIRST I WANT TO SAY THAT IS GREAT YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW BABY NOTHING BRINGS A PERSON SUCH JOY AS A BABY TO LOVE..

Sky have you spent any time in a hospital here in the Philippines???? I spent 4 days and your correct its cheaper but it does not compare to a us hospital not in any way or shape,, First the CR when i checked in it did not work no problem the plumber was there most of the day, second the bottom 4 inches of the door to the cr was black with some kind of mold due to the cr leaking,,, every hour on the hour i was woke up by a smiling nurse in training like a lab rat i was check and re checked each nurse trying hard to do everything correct... the day of the surgery i was taken to the surgery room doped up and had to sit there for 4 hours as the material they needed was out of stock and they were waiting for another hospital to deliver, After the operation i was still woke up every hour on the hour ... sir are you sleeping well was the most common question... On the mold that i complained about the frigging painter was there painting while i was in the room trying not to breath because it hurt so much... 4 days i was there i lived thru the plumber and the painter and every hour i was woke up i was CHARGED for nursing services ,,, the day i checked out i was given the bill of course it was higher then they thought by 70,000p the total cost was 302,000 p so they came in the room with a wheel chair and i was offered a ride to the ATM machine ... The operation went well and it cost less then the US but you get less ......

Yes, that was about my experience in Cebu North General. Although I did spend a few days in a US hospital too and was woken up far too often there too. That is really about the most annoying thing they can do too. Wake me up to ask me how I am sleeping? Does that make sense to anyone?

Ok, so you're right the quality isn't as high and that probably makes up for the price. But from what I understand the quality of care at Bumrungrad is much higher, near US even.

How about when they wake you up to give you a sleeping pill. :)

Paul

Congratulations-on-your-addition-Girl.jpg

a1af91fd22bb4a3daef7be2ce3756e8f_congratulations-117171938.jpg

JohnFromTexas

It's true robert - hospitals and medical care here mostly sucks... it is cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

washingtonian88

Congrats!!!

Such great information from members here.

I'll share the information to my friends.

I have a few friends that have to sell their cars, pawn their houses and lot for child birth.

I guess, when you're there, sometimes you don't consider other cheaper options. All you think about is safety for both mom and baby, all to the hands of a doctor that doesn't care where you may get the money from. Sure at a hospital might be a smoother and painless because they drug the mom too much.

I wonder where the average families have their babies delivered when it costs that much at hospitals. Ahh of course the hospitals need to make profit, the doctors and nurses have to be paid. Nurses (lucky to make P15k/month, some zero-okey it's another topic).

I was born at a hospital and mom says it was painless (of course, the wonder drug/s). My other brother was at a hospital too and the nurse missed up his birth certificate (it became FEMALE *can't travel abroad with that*--- but now fixed after hiring a lawyer, court hearing, and P20k-$30k), my youngest brother was born at home, widwifery for P150 (one hundred fifty pesoses), and no problem with birth certificate.

Caveat Emptor

CONGRATULATIONS, Bilten

for your new bundle of joy!

:)

Cipro

Congrats and thanks. All my best to your growing family.

billten

Awesome... Congrats