Sign in to follow this  
billten

How to have a baby without getting screwed

mahogany

I am very happy for you, and congratulations to you and your wife. :) There are options that need to be checked out and recommended, as you did here; thank you for your effort. Most mothers here that do not know what to do - if they can afford it - they will go to a local birthing home or angkanan; otherwise (even if it is illegal) they will have a midwife take care of things at their home. The rest is all about God and faith. Great it turned out so well for you. Soon your dogs will have a new playmate...

SkyMan

Congrats to you and the misses and Happy Birthday to your son! Glad you found the type of place and price you were looking for.

I should point out that p150T is still pretty cheap compared to typical US deliveries. Also, they don't generally give you anything close to a concrete price because they don't want to scare you off and they don't want you to come back pissed off if your delivery cost more than what they had told you.

Your second OB/GYN said to consider the possibility of a CSection. That's good advice really. So often here they do a section by slicing her from stem to stern ruining her abdomen permanently. Everyone should research this possibility even if you want to avoid it. Make sure you know who is doing that surgery and how they are going to do it. When a delivery goes bad it's probably too late to make sure it gets done right.

I plan to avoid the hassle of wondering how it gets done so when that time comes, maybe in a couple years, my wife will have a scheduled CSection in Bumrunngrad hospital in Bangkok. They quoted me 69K Baht for a normal CSection including 4 days postpartum care. About $2200 plus airfare and a week or two hotel stay. Probably about the same cost as the p150K quoted by Chung Hua.

Ricky

Congratulations.

Expecting our child to be born at Chong Hua in the next few days, with a high risk of complications (previous postpartum haemorrage, heamoglobin H disease) we're using a specific OB/GYN but am a little surprised at how much you have suggested. I had expected around 100,000 as a maximum for a natural birth, and without specific complications and transfusions then we could anticipate 200,000 or 300,000.

We are a little committed, but I will give a breakdown of how much it comes out at.

Edited by Ricky

billten

BTW, i forgot to mention, all the pre-natal care is FREE. That's right FREE, you pay for the drugs only.

billten

Congratulations.

Expecting our child to be born at Chong Hua in the next few days, with a high risk of complications (previous postpartum haemorrage, heamoglobin H disease) we're using a specific OB/GYN but am a little surprised at how much you have suggested. I had expected around 100,000 as a maximum for a natural birth, and without specific complications and transfusions then we could anticipate 200,000 or 300,000.

We are a little committed, but I will give a breakdown of how much it comes out at.

Please, i would be very interested in your experiences.

BTW, i want to stress to everyone. We honestly chose St. Margarets due to the improvement in care for the mother and baby we felt we were getting. The financial side of it was a bonus. This was not a financial decision, it was about my wife and son being taken care of properly and not being treated like another 'case' to get done with.

toshi

we stayed for 7 days in Cheong Hua, (Private suite)

my wife had a c section,

also the baby stayed 7 days in the nursery, inc everything we paid about 150.000

when u wife has SS she will get money back from the SS, my wife forgot to pay for several years (cause we oversea) but still got about 30.000 back, this is considerably more if you pay SS on time

we used doctor PELICANO, as the OB , and she is fantastic, and now we using doctor glen CHUA , as the baby doctor, he charges 300 pesos per visit(once a month) , just all the injections are the expensive part,....

all in Cheong hua

JamesMusslewhite

Now you know why there are so many midwifes and home births. Our son was a home birth in Texas, $600 for a good midwife and we had a healthy intellegent son. The doctors and the hospital are not necessary for the most part. And once a woman has a C section than all later births must also be C sections.

I am happy your child was born happy and healthy.

Cary

Congrats that Krissy and your son are doing ok. Please give pics. As for the high costs for the tests, sadly thats what most of the money goes.. tests, fees and salaries. But again congrats. Me and my wife are still hoping for our 1st.phil.gif

smokey

Congrats to you and the misses and Happy Birthday to your son! Glad you found the type of place and price you were looking for.

I should point out that p150T is still pretty cheap compared to typical US deliveries. Also, they don't generally give you anything close to a concrete price because they don't want to scare you off and they don't want you to come back pissed off if your delivery cost more than what they had told you.

Your second OB/GYN said to consider the possibility of a CSection. That's good advice really. So often here they do a section by slicing her from stem to stern ruining her abdomen permanently. Everyone should research this possibility even if you want to avoid it. Make sure you know who is doing that surgery and how they are going to do it. When a delivery goes bad it's probably too late to make sure it gets done right.

I plan to avoid the hassle of wondering how it gets done so when that time comes, maybe in a couple years, my wife will have a scheduled CSection in Bumrunngrad hospital in Bangkok. They quoted me 69K Baht for a normal CSection including 4 days postpartum care. About $2200 plus airfare and a week or two hotel stay. Probably about the same cost as the p150K quoted by Chung Hua.

FIRST I WANT TO SAY THAT IS GREAT YOU HAVE A BRAND NEW BABY NOTHING BRINGS A PERSON SUCH JOY AS A BABY TO LOVE..

Sky have you spent any time in a hospital here in the Philippines???? I spent 4 days and your correct its cheaper but it does not compare to a us hospital not in any way or shape,, First the CR when i checked in it did not work no problem the plumber was there most of the day, second the bottom 4 inches of the door to the cr was black with some kind of mold due to the cr leaking,,, every hour on the hour i was woke up by a smiling nurse in training like a lab rat i was check and re checked each nurse trying hard to do everything correct... the day of the surgery i was taken to the surgery room doped up and had to sit there for 4 hours as the material they needed was out of stock and they were waiting for another hospital to deliver, After the operation i was still woke up every hour on the hour ... sir are you sleeping well was the most common question... On the mold that i complained about the frigging painter was there painting while i was in the room trying not to breath because it hurt so much... 4 days i was there i lived thru the plumber and the painter and every hour i was woke up i was CHARGED for nursing services ,,, the day i checked out i was given the bill of course it was higher then they thought by 70,000p the total cost was 302,000 p so they came in the room with a wheel chair and i was offered a ride to the ATM machine ... The operation went well and it cost less then the US but you get less ......

Edited by robert51

billten

Me and my wife are still hoping for our 1st.

Congrats that Krissy and your son are doing ok. Please give pics.

Don't give up. I had a vas reversal surgury in Manila in 2004 and then after that it took 5 years to work. The only time Krissy got pregnant was when we both forgot about how bad we wanted another kid and got on with things. Then, bang, away you go. Strange but true...

I thought you guys would be bored with more bloody baby pix, but as you asked (proud dad, what can i say ;-)))

Here is Junior at 3 hours old.

Aaron

Those prices -and extras are a total 100% rip off. I'm glad you were resourceful enough and not intimidated so that you could find a great alternative.

Our little girl was born this past May. The first ob-gyn, at Mactan doctors seemed a little arrogant and superior, so we kept looking and found a really nice and honest one at the medical center in Marina Mall, Mactan. She's not there anymore, but she told us up front that c section was always a possibility, but only that and not to be expected. She explained that the size of the mother is not as important as the flexibility and movement of her hips. Long story short -although my wife is small, the baby came out at 7 and a half pounds, with no problem.

Because she was connected with several hospitals, including Mandaue District (the closest), we had the birth there. You could see that this hospital doesn't have a lot of funds, but they keep it clean; everyone very friendly, professional and attentive. We recieved the good kind of special treatment -and not at all milked for extra money. In fact, the total bill for both our doctor and the hospital (2 nights, private room) was about php 11,500. I couldn't have been more pleased with the entire process.

Had a c section been needed, she told us it would be about8 or 10K more.

PS -Congratulations!

Edited by Aaron

Ricky

We've just been for our check up at Chong Hua with Dr Panaras. A little concerned with the costs looking a lot more then first anticipated, we broached the subject and she said that a natural delivery should come to a total of circa 40,000 is php and a C Section to 90,000 - 100,000. I'm not sure whether the variation in prices is from Dr to Dr. We also called missus cousin who said that using the same doctor, she was charged 38,000 in total for her delivery at Chong Hua around a year ago.

The delivery area at Chong Hua looks very good, and i'm quite impressed compared to some other areas of this hospital. As I mentioned earlier, we have particular worries about complications that we feel on Chong Hua can offer us the facilities to deal with properly.

For a complete comparison, when we lived in Manila, the top hospitals such as St Lukes are excellent. I have a Bupa Worldwide card for myself and the family provided through work which will happily pay directly to St Lukes and some other Manila Hospitals. In Chong Hua it's a case of paying and then going through a claims process which takes..............

If we needed any major surgery or such like, we'd definately fly up there if that was a realistic option.

sperman

we had our son at chong hua in 2006. the treasury official there said if i dont put the money up front, (about P40,000), but only put up half of it, she assured me that any medicines needed would be withheld if the cost passed the P20,000 i was prepared to offer. (i could not get the other P20,000 from the atm until after midnight.) so that bitch really impressed me. my wife had a normal birth except for a tiny epesiotomy. they withheld all water, all food for 24 hours. my wife could hardly talk and barely had the strength to push the baby out. the pediatrician kept the baby in for 3 days because "it had a breathing irregularity". bullshit! on the 3rd day i said we were taking him out. we left with a bill just over P40,000.

when i visited my wife about 1 hour after the birth, she still had no water until i ordered the nurse/aide/whatever to get some immediately. i'd say there degree of care is on a par with australian detention facility officers. close to zero, and i'd never go back there.

Cary

Very nice thumbs_up.gif

Me and my wife are still hoping for our 1st.

Congrats that Krissy and your son are doing ok. Please give pics.

Don't give up. I had a vas reversal surgury in Manila in 2004 and then after that it took 5 years to work. The only time Krissy got pregnant was when we both forgot about how bad we wanted another kid and got on with things. Then, bang, away you go. Strange but true...

I thought you guys would be bored with more bloody baby pix, but as you asked (proud dad, what can i say ;-)))

Here is Junior at 3 hours old.