Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Anyone who uses Xoom

mpt1947

OK Paul,

I know you are in Xoom - but since they just dropped me for no apparent reason - may I suggest RemitHome.com http://www.remithome.com

You can send money from your checking account in the states to a checking account here for $10 - or to your door for $10 - in Pesos

If you want in $ will cost a bit more

No going to pick up stations - just in your account or at your door I love it

Mike

mpt1947

Well, I doubt that one little website will make much of a (negative) difference in their sales.

But, at least I got to vent. :)

I look forward to seeing you in the future!

---------------

I wish I had been as kind in my last reply. :lol:

Well this is my second reply to you about the same topic - but I share everyone's concern - I filed a complaint with the BBB in San Francisco - I share the email I got from them - my email back to them - a Mr. Walters - I have heard that other people have been dropped left and right too -

I will update if I hear anything back

Mike

Paul

OK Paul,

I know you are in Xoom - but since they just dropped me for no apparent reason - may I suggest RemitHome.com http://www.remithome.com

You can send money from your checking account in the states to a checking account here for $10 - or to your door for $10 - in Pesos

If you want in $ will cost a bit more

No going to pick up stations - just in your account or at your door I love it

Mike

Past tense: http://www.xoomcomplaints.net/

They can kiss my ass.

I think I may have used remit2home, or whatever it was called back then. I need to see if i can look up my login information.

Thanks for the reminder, man.

delancey

I tried Xoom once. No thanks...

I initiated a transaction near a window where Xoom's system went down. It was difficult getting my money refunded. The biggest nightmare was the money going into a black hole. They took the money then claimed the transaction was never processed. They then suggested it was an error from my bank. Finally, they acknowledged the problem was on Xoom's end and they actually had the money. At that point I was refunded-- ughhhhhh...I'll pass on xoom.

richard90027

Well, Pete, I have been trying to register on the site you gave me, but, it won't accept it when I attempt to register. It keeps showing "Values in red are unacceptable", or similar message. The trouble is, there are no values in red and I have changed everything! Anyway, I put a call in and left a message. Hopefully they will ring me back tonight.

Either way, thanks for the link.

Paul, let us all know how this works out for you. It sounds interesting

Tomas

Hmmm, I wonder if any of these cheaper services are worthwhile in the long run? I started a Xoom account mostly as a way to send money to myself or a friend in an emergency. I guess what this thread has taught me is that it is not a sure thing, there is always a probability that it won't work. But I still consider it just one more tool in the toolbox of managing my finances in the Philippines.

Maybe Western Union is expensive for a reason, that being, that it is reliable? Not sure how easy it is to Western Union yourself funds.

So is there a common theme to the Xoom account cancellations? Was there an attempt to send yourself money via credit card sometime in the past (which violates their rules)? It is bizarre that they give no reason, but unfortunately this is the sort of response that a company operating in a litigious society like the USA will offer to protect itself from the forest of laws that encourage lawsuits and problems.

Paul

Hmmm, I wonder if any of these cheaper services are worthwhile in the long run? I started a Xoom account mostly as a way to send money to myself or a friend in an emergency. I guess what this thread has taught me is that it is not a sure thing, there is always a probability that it won't work. But I still consider it just one more tool in the toolbox of managing my finances in the Philippines.

Maybe Western Union is expensive for a reason, that being, that it is reliable? Not sure how easy it is to Western Union yourself funds.

So is there a common theme to the Xoom account cancellations? Was there an attempt to send yourself money via credit card sometime in the past (which violates their rules)? It is bizarre that they give no reason, but unfortunately this is the sort of response that a company operating in a litigious society like the USA will offer to protect itself from the forest of laws that encourage lawsuits and problems.

Others have told me that, they were (successfully) able to send money to themselves, by having it drafted directly from their bank accounts.

If you do a web search for "Xoom Complaints", you will find tons of information. I added links to four of those sites: Xoom Complaints Links

I will never use them again.

My mistake was withdrawing too much of my local monies for another purpose, without waiting for other funds to be transferred. I will not make that mistake again.

Anyway, by far, the best way to transfer money, in my opinion, and the cheapest way too, is to go to Bank of Commerce and open a USD (or other foreign currency) Savings Account. Write a check every __________ (week, month, quarter, etc.) to yourself, and have it deposited into your account at set intervals. That way, you will always have money in the account, and will always have money being sent to the account, as you need it.

• Like 1

mpt1947

In my case - I had not used Xoom for about 4 months and had used Remithome - however, I couldn't find anything in their User Agreement that indicated that there was a minimum usage, or that I couldn't use a competitor -

My question to them, that they can't seem to answer or want to answer, was what violation did they find that caused them to believe I was not compliant thus my complaint to the BBB

Mike

mpt1947

Others have told me that, they were (successfully) able to send money to themselves, by having it drafted directly from their bank accounts.

If you do a web search for "Xoom Complaints", you will find tons of information. I added links to four of those sites: Xoom Complaints Links

I will never use them again.

My mistake was withdrawing too much of my local monies for another purpose, without waiting for other funds to be transferred. I will not make that mistake again.

Anyway, by far, the best way to transfer money, in my opinion, and the cheapest way too, is to go to Bank of Commerce and open a USD (or other foreign currency) Savings Account. Write a check every __________ (week, month, quarter, etc.) to yourself, and have it deposited into your account at set intervals. That way, you will always have money in the account, and will always have money being sent to the account, as you need it.

Paul,

Thank you for the Link - I am going to enjoy reading, I am sure -

I don't understand your process of transferring monies - You are suggesting I open an US Dollar Account at a bank in the Philippines - don't I need to maintain a $200 Balance?

Then you want me to write checks on my US Bank and Deposit them into the Philippine account - if you are talking a paper check - how long does it take to get collected?

Why not open a Peso Account at say BPI - then via RemitHome, or another transfer service - set up recurring transfers Daily, Weekly, Monthly (recurring cost $8 per transfer) - you can have funds deposited at your Philippine account or for $10 have it delivered to you personally -

Limited to $1000 transfer per day -

First transfer is Free - Cutoff is 2:30 PM PDT - 15 hour difference here - you make that cutoff - you will have funds in your Philippine account same day.

Someone else gave you a link for another transfer site - I am going to check out - but RemitHome is really good - great customer service

Mike

Tomas

Paul, I remember reading through the Xoom terms and conditions and could not find anything against the rules for sending money to yourself from a bank account and many people have successfully done this over long periods of time. But you can't use your credit card to do send money to yourself (at least without violating their rules) as it is considered a cash advance and somehow violates their rules. It does not appear that you violated this rule.

I agree with Paul that the cheapest way to "send" money to yourself is with paper checks written on your USA bank account and deposited in a Filipino dollar bank account (no fees). In fact, during my short time in the USA where I am currently located, I ordered new paper checks with my correct address on them to avoid any problems with that as that is what I plan to do. I have heard about a month or a little less for the checks to clear.

Paul, why do you prefer Bank of Commerce for the dollar account?

Paul
I have heard about a month or a little less for the checks to clear.

Yep, that about the typical time for most banks.

Paul, why do you prefer Bank of Commerce for the dollar account?

Customer service, baby, customer service. Mayen is the greatest and has gone above and beyond for any clients I know that have done business with her.

• Like 1