Sign in to follow this  
Paul

Anyone who uses Xoom

Paul

Thanks, mate. I have successfully registered and have emailed them the supporting scanned documents.

I will wait and see when they contact me back.

I really appreciate your help.

Athena

Paul, over the years I have tried many ways of transferring money to the Philippines including Xoom.

I recently found this company https://exchange4free.com/ and have used them several times. They are terrific, best conversion rate I have found and no fee!! Well worth a look.

Thanks for the link

Ozepete

Paul, over the years I have tried many ways of transferring money to the Philippines including Xoom.

I recently found this company https://exchange4free.com/ and have used them several times. They are terrific, best conversion rate I have found and no fee!! Well worth a look.

Thanks for the link

Athena

Thanks for the link

Tomas

Paul, Here is what I have found out about Xoom so far.

They will not permit you to send yourself money via credit card (this is in their rules) but you can send yourself money from your bank account. People have gotten around the credit card restriction by sending it to yourself by a slightly different name.

One thing I did not like is that you cannot set up your banking information for transfer until you actually do such a transfer. I wanted to set it up ahead of time but this does not seem possible. So if a friend needs the money right away and you have not used your bank account yet as a source, you may still have to use a credit card unless they really want to wait.

It seems like Xoom usually gets around 1.8% on the exchange rate.

Here are my notes on my only transaction:

Info you need from the recipient:

* first and last name

* location (just the city)

* email

* phone number

* secret word (you make this up and tell recipient what it is)

Recipient needs 2 Forms of I.D. to pickup

After sending you get a record transaction number. The recipient needs this number to pick up the money.

The system sends email to you and the recipient when the cash is available. Recipient can then pick up at any of hundreds of locations. You can see each step happen in your Xoom account, including when the money is picked up.

NOTE: My friend possessed only one form of ID, a student ID. So she went to the cash pickup place before I finished the transaction and they said having just one ID would be OK, and then I sent it.

Here are the "official" ID requirements for a recipient in the Philippines:

Valid IDs - Philippines

* Passport

* Driver's License with Photo

* Student ID with Recent Registration

* Alien Certificate of Registration

* Professional Regulations Commission ID Card

* Employment ID (signed by employer)

* ID cards issued by AFP (Armed Forces of the Philippines)

* ID cards issued by PNP (Philippine National Police)

* SSS/GSIS Membership Card

* TIN (Tax Identification Number) Card

* OFW ID-VE Card

* Green or Pink Cards issued by the US Immigration and Naturalization Service

A way around some of these rules are to use a credit card to send money to a friend who just gives you the money after picking it up.

I plan to send myself money for cash pickup from my own bank account shortly after arriving in the Philippines in October in order to get that all set up.

The one time I sent money it was 3 hours from start to finish, my credit card company never called me. I initiated the transaction over the internet from the country of Colombia.

Tomas (if anything that I have posted is inaccurate, PLEASE let me know)

Edited by Tomas

Terry

I tried the exchange4free here in the US and the option to send to the PI is not available. On a side note it took a VERY long time for the site to come up (no it was NOT my connection, etc.) I too saw the "fees" reference but found no other information. Those are two red flags in my book. I'll stick with Xoom. Last week, for the first time, I sent money to my mother in-law in Iligan (yes we are great friends)and it was there in WAY under half an hour. They are the best I've found so far when you consider all they offer.

T

gcurious

I neglected to ask one important question.

Can you send money to yourself here (Philippines)? Or, would I have to send it to another person?

I send to myself.......my individual savings account at BPI.....and i have sent to my wifes BDO account too.........and have sent to a friend, delivered and picked up at Lhuimiller...never had a problem with any.

broden

you ok for money to get by for now?paul

Paul

Yeah, no freakin' thanks to Xoom.

I purchased www.xoomcomplaints.net and will be adding my communications with them there.

I also will be doing a write up on the events leading up to my purchase of said domain.

JollyJim

I used xoom for years without a problem then a couple months ago I got an e-mail

saying that my account was closed because I violated their rules. I have no

idea what they were talking about, when I tried to contact them I got nothing.

Was wondering if any body else had this problem.

Paul

I used xoom for years without a problem then a couple months ago I got an e-mail

Hi Jim,

It's great to see you posting. I hope both of you are doing well.

I tell ya, Xoom had me so pissed off today, more than any company has pissed me off in a long, long time. I was so mad that I took the time (like I really needed to stop important projects for that mess) to buy a domain name and make a little website. I put it up today, and hope it ends up ranking decently. Xoom is a pain in the ass.

I have now posted my experience with them today, listing all the email communications with Xoom regarding my problems with their Customer Service and Technical Support.

JollyJim

Hi Jim,

It's great to see you posting. I hope both of you are doing well.

I tell ya, Xoom had me so pissed off today, more than any company has pissed me off in a long, long time. I was so mad that I took the time (like I really needed to stop important projects for that mess) to buy a domain name and make a little website. I put it up today, and hope it ends up ranking decently. Xoom is a pain in the ass.

I have now posted my experience with them today, listing all the email communications with Xoom regarding my problems with their Customer Service and Technical Support.

Hey Paul, Joy and I will be married for 2 years in December and I could not ask for a better woman, she truly is the best for me. We are trying to make plans to go to Cebu next year and if we do I will look you up. (not like last time sorry)

I wish I would of saved the e-mail from zoom, it said to contact their customer service if I had any questions but

when I called them to ask why my account was cancled they said they couldn't comment on that and I should email

my questions, which I did several times and NEVER got a reply. I did an internet search and found some other people

with the same story as me, they also didn't get a reply.

I just thought to look in my sent files and found the orgional email:

Dear James xxxxxx,

We write to inform you that, after careful review, we have disabled your Xoom account for violations of the Xoom User Agreement, effective immediately.

This decision cannot be appealed, and our customer service team will not be able to discuss the matter with you beyond restating the above.

Nonetheless, if you feel compelled to contact Xoom regarding this decision, you may send an email to us at [email protected]

Very truly yours,

The Xoom Compliance Team

My last email to them was:

3rd time I have sent you an email. So what? Your not going to respond to my request to answer a question??

I have used xoom for 3 years and all of the sudden my account is closed without

a word as to why.

Thats a hell of a way to run a company, I will be sure to tell all that ask about

the "great" customer service here at xoom.

Thanks for nothing

Edited by JollyJim

Paul

Well, I doubt that one little website will make much of a (negative) difference in their sales.

But, at least I got to vent. :)

I look forward to seeing you in the future!

---------------

I wish I had been as kind in my last reply. :thumbsup:

Edited by Admin

Ozepete

This may be an opportunity for a Cebu based ExPat to earn a few peso..

Today I transfered some Au$s from Australia to Peso in the Phils, with Exchange4free. The conversion rate was 4.7% better than my bank offers and there was NO fees at all (Bank slugs $25.00)

The actual figures were ANZ bank 38.192 peso/ dollar and a $25.00 fee. Exchange4free was 39.96 peso/ dollar and no fees. (More pesos reached the Philippines!)

Now while fiddling around at the exchange4free website, I came across a promo where they are looking for agents and thought this might suit a Cebu expat as I believe it will catch on.

Here is the link and an extract of their statement: http://exchange4free.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14

EXTRACT: Exchange4free are looking for partners worldwide to open and run Exchange4free franchises. We make it easy for you to start your own money transfer and foreign exchange company and will provide all the relevant support to make your business a success.

I have absolutely no connection with this mob, just think it may be an opportunity for someone while it provides a good service. Paul, if this is deemed as advertising, please discard. Cheers.

Bob Ward

I have used xoom for quite a while too......2-3 years ago they would take 4-5 days to process, but now the money is transferred from my US account to my BPI account within hours. The fees are pretty low....$4.99 for up to $3000.00.......................but they also make a little profit on the exchange rate. BTW, you have the option of sending in USD or Php.

2-2.25%