Sign in to follow this  
fredanna

Young Girl and Old Head Injury

softail

I honestly would think long and hard about this situation, both the little girls and your own. Once you open Pandora

Terry

IMHO, odds are not good for recovery. Find out what's going on then take it from there. The decision to take this on is one only you and yours can make. Time is NOT on your side. At this age the body is nearly finished growing and developing. The younger one is at the time of injury and treatment the more likely for measureable recovery.

BTW, ANYWHERE but PI for exam and treatment of this type.

Good luck.

T

fredanna

Thank you all,

Excellent replies and very good words of wisdom. I almost approached the family to taalk, but I think I will try to let this go. The medical part and future costs might be Pandora's Box and it would be hard to step away from a medical process that was started and then my in-laws start having health problems or our financial system cannot bear the extra load.

And Bob Ward brought up a dark side of this with child abuse or sexual abuse.

Fred

Cary

Fred;

Yea the cost is something that you do have to consider. But you can still be with the girl and give her emotional support as well as gifts as needed from time to time. But still its great to see that you were willing and many people today are not.

booger10

if you remember the NFL has finally acknowledge the problem with concussions. To that end, since as you said the girl has an old head injury, I am guessing that it did something. If you can get her the test that would be a start. Also have the doctor explain as clear as possible to her parents whats going and and what to expect. But I am guessing that the scan will show a problem and then the family is going to be left with not being able to afford to pay to have the problem fixed.

Now I am only guessing with a background in surgery in the Navy, but after 5 years the problem is probably not fixable. She is probably having some type of seizure associated with the head trauma. They may be able to give medication to control the seizures, but not cure the problem.

I agree, there has been many studies with concussions and seizures. And, what you described could be this possibility. Medical attention could quite possibly find this and yes, there is medications that might control these seizures, but after this length of time the problem could be permenant. A good doctor in a good hospitol would be able to tell. Those here are opinions, but you would need professional opinions. It will cost no matter what is there. There are people brought here to the US that are helped by organizations. It might take talking to the right one.

Jess Bartone

.....There are people brought here to the US that are helped by organizations. It might take talking to the right one.

Booger raises an excellent point: Fred you have a radio audience, and presumably contacts in your industry, put the word out about the girl's condition and you never know you just might get some charity take on her case, it happens all the time here in Oz, like the Bangladeshi Siamese oops politically correct "conjoined" twins that were separated here in Melbourne. They will never admit it, but they do prefer beautiful, photogenic subjects because it looks good on the nightly news, so this girl's beauty you described just might go a long way to make a vast improvement in her quality of life.

And who knows... being in the media spotlight might even straighten out her father.