mford019 - where would you not go in the city of Cebu at night?

The Bajau people sound fascinating. Like the Roma of Europe but on the sea. is the area near Port 1 a home base for their seafaring or a landed community?

http://www.peoplesoftheworld.org/text?people=Bajau

And, on the thread, I have lived or worked in edgy areas in NYC (Harlem, Bed Sty), Detroit (Cooley High), and Washington DC. My experience is that you need to know where to avoid when, get local info from locals, travel with friends who speak the local dialects, how to stay alert for trouble to avoid, carry yourself appropriately (fear or a frightened gait attracts trouble), and be ready to act very insane if you can't exit or talk your way out of trouble.

Seems true anywhere.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paul

• musicman666

• D_D

• Dragon

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I banned him because I was personally tired of his posts. For the most part, he simply posted shit, or statements to cause issues. I know in my mind, that he was simply being a smart ass today when he

How about one of them secret hilltop plantations?

Please advise me why Citizen Smith was banned?   There is a Barangay Alaska in Cebu, and apparently Citizen Smith thinks it is dangerous. Why is stating that fact a reason to be banned?   I usual

Jess Bartone

The Bajau people sound fascinating. Like the Roma of Europe but on the sea. is the area near Port 1 a home base for their seafaring or a landed community?

http://www.peoplesof...xt?people=Bajau

And, on the thread, I have lived or worked in edgy areas in NYC (Harlem, Bed Sty), Detroit (Cooley High), and Washington DC. My experience is that you need to know where to avoid when, get local info from locals, travel with friends who speak the local dialects, how to stay alert for trouble to avoid, carry yourself appropriately (fear or a frightened gait attracts trouble), and be ready to act very insane if you can't exit or talk your way out of trouble.

Seems true anywhere.

"Like the Roma of Europe but on the sea." Do you mean the "Romany Gypsies"? From Eire to Istanbul and beyond.

Thanks for the link Chris, very interesting (if short) reading. There are many peoples whose tradition and history are being lost with the relentless march of civilisation, and unfortunately they usually end up living on the fringes of mainstream society, opportunistically eking out a living, and all too often turning to (violent) crime as the frustration and hopelessness sets in... not to excuse their actions, but speaking anthropologically.

Bob Ward

The real question for me is WHY would you want to go into the areas of Cebu that are known to be unsafe for 'anyone', let alone a foreigner?

There are areas where it just makes no sense to go into, day or night. But for one specific area that is well know to be a problem area then you should be aware of the main shabu district which encompasses an area within three barangays, Carbon, Ermita and Pasil. There is no reason for a foreigner to be in these areas at night and anyone who does is just looking for trouble.

Alaska is not a barangay as previously posted and I would not go there, why would I?

Firstly, and regarding being banned: Banning a member has nothing, and I mean nothing to do with any revenue stream. I don't care how much this forum makes. If I did, I would be marketing it all over the place. Furthermore, I would not be charging the rates I do for ads. They would be much higher. Trust me, the money the forums turns is not worth all the time any / all of the staff put into it. Each of us put our time in here because we want to, not because we have to.

In fact, this forum and moving it from server to server, dealing with SPAMMERs so you folks don't have to ever see their garbage or to be contacted by SPAMMERs through the forums, and trying to maintain a bit of order here, can be quite taxing. Now, you can believe any or all of that, or none of it for that matter. It is totally up to you to decide for yourselves.

Secondly, this thread has nothing to do with "why" or "for what reason" anyone would go into a given barangay or area of Cebu City, or elsewhere in Cebu Province for that matter. The point here is that I feel much safer anywhere on the island of Cebu than I did in certain parts of my own home town. That is all I was saying.

For the record, I have been in all of the areas mentioned here, including Duljo, many times. I used to have a girlfriend who lived in Duljo, in fact. I would go there to see her and her friends, and sit around and drink, tagay (sharing beer from the same glass), sometimes.

Edited by Admin
  • Like 1
digiteye

The real question for me is WHY would you want to go into the areas of Cebu that are known to be unsafe for 'anyone', let alone a foreigner?

the point is: if there is a list of places to avoid, ppl wont go there

its also useful for house hunting: you can filter out ads that are too near to some dangerous area

Barangay Hipodromo was the only place I have ever felt uneasy. My friend and I was "courting" some girls and we had to walk to the main road for a taxi. Since there place was back in the cut I did not think we would make it out. Funny thing is people were very nice to us and of course started offering their sisters and cousin's. We were celebrities again before we made it to the main road.

I guess It is not right to judge a book by it's cover.

Barangay Hipodromo for those who do not know is Near Ayala and Mabolo. I think MJ Cuenco and Gen Maximus intersects.

I would go anywhere, actually i did already. Been walking the road between Cebu city and Mandaue at night, after dark.

Been walking the famouse Colone street after dark alone, even been to the docks alone after dark. I have always been safe.

Don't know if it has anything to do with it, i'm triple X size, western style.

And been some real bad places aswell :bighug:

loosehead

Anyone who has travelled a bit has been in much more dangerous places than Cebu. I find US cities like LA much more intimidating than Cebu or Manila. Cebu is probably on par with aussie cities where you would have to be very unlucky to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I enjoyed Big Jim's story about the basketball courts. Not really my scene but i've been there for a look and a few beers. Carbon market is no problems in daylight hours and I have had a lot of fun there with the locals. If I lived in cebu i would go there 2-3 mornings a week or more to get fresh fruit, vegs and meat. I haven't been there at night but there are always a few idiots around when you drive through there in the early hours.

In answer to Bob's question "why would I ?", some of us have an adventurous streak. I always check out the market and the port area in every city I go and if the city has a place with cold beer where i can get a view of the port, i'm there.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

i've hung out in all the worst New York has to offer so i like to see everywhere, everywhere i go and seeing as my wife is from one of those worst areas .. well that's another reason for me and the main one actually

• 3 weeks later...

I have a special friend who lives in Duljo and I have been to visit her family many times there. From the main road it takes about 4 or 5 mins walking thru tight walkways and low hanging roofs and clothes wires(Im 6ft6)to get to their house.I found out last yr she always had a tough time leaving my hotel to catch a taxi to Duljo at night. The drivers refuses to go there for fear of getting robbed by drug addicts there! One night I walked her outside of the Diplomat hotel,and we went thru 4 taxis before one agreed to take her to Duljo after midnight!

Guest mford019

I don't know if this is actually part of Cebu, but I felt a little disheartened in a place called Cordova. Down from Maribago beach. I guess I had a pretty popular girl from there and could have gotten into a big mess, if I had not gotten out of there pretty quick.

Try Alaska........

I live in Alaska - what are you saying?

well yeah i know of that place too which has a bit of a rep... and i also scanned his posts before... he does seem to drop troll type comments but so do i on occasion.. i just would have liked to have seen a buildup .. i guess there is more to this than meets the eye.

Yeah I am not anyone to say who should be banned or not. But maybe people that don't know or have experience in Cebu City thought he was making a joke.

So all first time newbies should for sure go to Alaska Cebu to get their first experience.

Wait a minute - as far as I know I am the only American/European/Aussie or other non Filipino/Asian that lives in Alaska - anyone who wants to come here - stop by NikkoLightFX for your interview.... biggrin_01.gif

Mike

I've been into almost all of the so called 'dodgy' areas mentioned above whilst doing some volounteer work (including late at night), and also whilst in Manila have been into some shocking areas. I never felt particularly worried whilst in these areas. If you went into these places dressed smartly, with a rolex watch on your wrist whilst texting on an iphone, then you'd be asking for trouble.

I do think that every westener should be able to see the reality of poverty in these areas, just to make them realise how fortunate they are.

I've been into almost all of the so called 'dodgy' areas mentioned above whilst doing some volounteer work (including late at night), and also whilst in Manila have been into some shocking areas. I never felt particularly worried whilst in these areas. If you went into these places dressed smartly, with a rolex watch on your wrist whilst texting on an iphone, then you'd be asking for trouble.

I do think that every westener should be able to see the reality of poverty in these areas, just to make them realise how fortunate they are.

if i want to see porverty all i have to do is shut my eyes and remember growing up .... 6 of us in a one bedroom apt.. living in brooklyn new york on the 5th floor no elevator of course... sometimes being poor will make you a hard worker and drive you to sucess

• Like 1