Overstay fees when leaving the country?

The point about paying the overstay and the penalty is, that because you've not organised your overstay before the expiration of your present visa you are then liable for the unpaid overstay in additional to a penalty for failing to renew earlier.

We are so lucky that the Philippines are fair with this system. Should someone do something similar in the UK or USA, they could easily find themselves behind bars and blacklisted without questions.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ivantheterrible

• The Mason

• Moris

• Cary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would just try your luck at the airport. Just make sure you queue to a male worker. I find they are more hospitable to male foreigners then women. Women always catch everything on my Visa here and p

Its beginning to sound like your pulling our chain.....or maybe your just not the sharpest tool in the shed. Either way, obviously you have little respect for the law of the land and cannot manage you

Not sure exactly how to respond to this, some of that is spot on, some of it not so much. I can however say, that i was, at no point, sitting at home saying to myself   " well, my visa expires toda

LastManStanding

I would just try your luck at the airport. Just make sure you queue to a male worker. I find they are more hospitable to male foreigners then women. Women always catch everything on my Visa here and point out everything. They always ask for my exit clearance but the guys never do. Just my experience. I find the women always combative. Don't know what it is.

JohnFromTexas

Or you can go for the female one if you have chocolates on you ;)

As far as the letter, I don't think you will need one if you are a day or two over -- I didn't have one and they didn't say a word about me being past due or needing a letter. They just charged me the extra fees and sent me on my way.

I think at a couple days over you might have a decent chance of getting through at the airport -- i know for me I wouldn't risk going all the way to the airport and losing my ticket based on a maybe. Most tickets sold are non-refundable or transferrable so if you miss the flight, you're probably out the cost of the ticket.

Ivantheterrible

Or you can go for the female one if you have chocolates on you :ROFLMAO:

As far as the letter, I don't think you will need one if you are a day or two over -- I didn't have one and they didn't say a word about me being past due or needing a letter. They just charged me the extra fees and sent me on my way.

I think at a couple days over you might have a decent chance of getting through at the airport -- i know for me I wouldn't risk going all the way to the airport and losing my ticket based on a maybe. Most tickets sold are non-refundable or transferrable so if you miss the flight, you're probably out the cost of the ticket.

What if i am only a day or two over, but it is my second consecutive overstay? Would you recommend a letter in that case? I was only one day over the last time, now i am two, hummm... i should probably make sure that trend doesn't continue...

Although it seems to me they actually like it if your JUST a day or two over, because then it isn't a hassle like it is for a few weeks over, and they still get their money, and just as much of it as if you had overstayed a few weeks. Seems like a favorable situation for them.

Or you can go for the female one if you have chocolates on you :ROFLMAO:

What if i am only a day or two over, but it is my second consecutive overstay? Would you recommend a letter in that case? I was only one day over the last time, now i am two, hummm... i should probably make sure that trend doesn't continue...

Although it seems to me they actually like it if your JUST a day or two over, because then it isn't a hassle like it is for a few weeks over, and they still get their money, and just as much of it as if you had overstayed a few weeks. Seems like a favorable situation for them.

Its beginning to sound like your pulling our chain.....or maybe your just not the sharpest tool in the shed. Either way, obviously you have little respect for the law of the land and cannot manage your affairs in a responsible manner. Second time to overstay........maybe if you paid a little more attention to detail you would not be in this situation, again! Your learning curve leaves a bit to be desired. Wouldn't you agree? I suggest you trot on down to BOI and quit trying to circumvent the system. Hopefully for you the officer you see does not think like me. 1st time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me! I would make sure you miss your flight just to teach you a lesson! It apparent to me that is the only way you will learn. Can you say, Black List?

• Like 1
Jess Bartone

.....You cannot pay at the airport.....

The Mason is right.

You can't extend at the airport.....

When did this change Paul? I ask because I overstayed by 2 weeks in Jan '08, I forget exactly what it cost me, up towards 50 AUD or close to 2,000php, back then it was relatively hassle-free just paying at the airport. I was fairly blas

Jess Bartone

I should add that in Jan '09 my flight was delayed firstly on Saturday the 10th by mechanical failure and then that flooding deluge set in (CDO). There was finally a break in the weather on Wednesday the 14th and a group of us staying (complements of PAL) in the Dynasty Court hotel got an urgent call to get to the airport. We got to Manila ok, but I had overstayed by 3 days through no fault of my own, then a very nice lady from PAL took me to the BOI office at Manila airport and explained my situation, the official was very polite and friendly and he stamped my passport no probs and no fees. I guess my point is that they are reasonable people and will consider extenuating circumstances.

Ivantheterrible
Its beginning to sound like your pulling our chain.....or maybe your just not the sharpest tool in the shed. Either way, obviously you have little respect for the law of the land and cannot manage your affairs in a responsible manner. Second time to overstay........maybe if you paid a little more attention to detail you would not be in this situation, again! Your learning curve leaves a bit to be desired. Wouldn't you agree? I suggest you trot on down to BOI and quit trying to circumvent the system. Hopefully for you the officer you see does not think like me. 1st time shame on you, 2nd time shame on me! I would make sure you miss your flight just to teach you a lesson! It apparent to me that is the only way you will learn. Can you say, Black List?

Not sure exactly how to respond to this, some of that is spot on, some of it not so much. I can however say, that i was, at no point, sitting at home saying to myself

" well, my visa expires today, and i'm sitting here on my ass with nothing to do, but i really want to be cool and rebel against the system, so i guess i'll just overstay for the hell of it."

well i can see why that's the way it would seem, i can assure you it was not, on either occasion, anything remotely like that.

And i am also capable of adding up to 21, 38, and 59, so that's not the explanation either.

anyway, the reason is irelavent, at this point, whatever will happen to me, is what will happen to me. I'll just have to accept whatever it is, and take it in stride. Life does go on after all.

• Like 1
Ivantheterrible

Do people expect i have a good chance of getting on the black list if i have second consecutive overstay, of a day or two?

How exactly does the blacklist work? if they forced me to skip my flight, isn't that defeating the purpose of blacklisting, me, don't they want me the feck out of the country if they blacklist me?

mahogany

My flight is tomorrow afternoon, and i will be two days overstay.

Have you been to the BOI yet, or are you at the airport awaiting your fate? :) Or maybe you are just samok...

So... did you go to BOI first thing this morning? When is your flight?

How exactly does the blacklist work? if they forced me to skip my flight, isn't that defeating the purpose of blacklisting, me, don't they want me the feck out of the country if they blacklist me?

If it came to that, I am pretty sure they would want their money first.

Edited by Mailman

Do people expect i have a good chance of getting on the black list if i have second consecutive overstay, of a day or two?

You do seem to make a habit of this which an official might interpret as having no respect for the law. So I would say your chances of a sanction being imposed against you are increasing.

The Blacklist affects your ability to enter the country, not to leave it. Being blacklisted may be part of the punishment, or the punishment, meted to foreigners who disobey the law.

Mark

If you have been here longer than 6 months you will need a 500p "exit clearance". If this is the case, take three 1"x1" photos to the BoI along with your passport. I also suggest you write a letter of apology/explanation for your overstay - it used to be mandatory but now seems to be less important.

Paul

And don't forget that if its over 59 days he will also need one of those ACR plastic cards.

That's another US $50 payable in pesos at the rate set by the Immigration Dept. :)

The Mason

The point about paying the overstay and the penalty is, that because you've not organised your overstay before the expiration of your present visa you are then liable for the unpaid overstay in additional to a penalty for failing to renew earlier.

We are so lucky that the Philippines are fair with this system. Should someone do something similar in the UK or USA, they could easily find themselves behind bars and blacklisted without questions.

In the US if you are caught overstaying you will generally be released on your own recognizance pending deportation proceedings. You are usually only jailed if you are facing criminal charges unrelated to your immigration status, or if you have no visa at all.

Also, the US does not have immigration checks when departing the country, only when entering. So if you overstay, your chances of being caught are very low.

.....You cannot pay at the airport.....

The Mason is right.

You can't extend at the airport.....

When did this change Paul? I ask because I overstayed by 2 weeks in Jan '08, I forget exactly what it cost me, up towards 50 AUD or close to 2,000php, back then it was relatively hassle-free just paying at the airport. I was fairly blasé at the time, but in light of this thread I will be much more diligent in future.

It changed a year or so back. Apparently, many of the 'extensions' paid for at the airport were never put into the system and the funds never made it to the official coffers. Imagine that. Rather than attempting to change the behavior of the airport immigration officials, they just changed the policy so you can't pay at the airport any more.

Edited by The Mason

Dude...if you are of adventures kind...it seems that from your posts..it won't matter, go with a happy mind...you are most likely to get thorough if you know how to dramatize the whole situation...all they want is your money...and one or two days...will not be a big deal..

Again...only do it when you have plenty of time and money and if you are not able to catch your flight...it won't matter to you...

People get scared obviously..cos if they miss the flight...lot of things could go wroung..but if you have calculated your risk..no biggie...go boldly...I won't personally do it..only in extreme situation i would take that chance