Overstay fees when leaving the country?

Ivantheterrible

Hey All.

I know, that when you overstay and are applying to extend your stay, you have to pay a fee of 1000 peso. 500 for the overstay, and 500 for reconsideration fee, or whatever they call it.

If you are leaving the country, and at the airport, do you have to pay only 500 overstay fee, or do you still have to pay both 500 peso fees for a total of 1000 peso?

And i assume you would still have to pay the 500 peso exit fee as well.

so is the total cost of fees when overstayed and leaving at the airport, is it 1,500 peso? or just 1,000 peso?

Kind Regards

Ivantheterrible

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ivantheterrible

• The Mason

• Moris

• Cary

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would just try your luck at the airport. Just make sure you queue to a male worker. I find they are more hospitable to male foreigners then women. Women always catch everything on my Visa here and p

Its beginning to sound like your pulling our chain.....or maybe your just not the sharpest tool in the shed. Either way, obviously you have little respect for the law of the land and cannot manage you

Not sure exactly how to respond to this, some of that is spot on, some of it not so much. I can however say, that i was, at no point, sitting at home saying to myself   " well, my visa expires toda

The Mason

I don't think they allow you pay at the airport anymore. If your visa is expired, they won't let you through to your plane. You need to get your visa up to date at BOI before goping to the airport.

Ivantheterrible

umm... but i'm leaving the country.

From what your saying it sounds like they would want me to pay the full fee for the extension, even though i am leaving the country anyway.

is that what you are saying? that even though i am leaving the country, because i am overstay i will first have to pay 1000 for overstay + the visa extension cost?

Does anybody else know if that is accurate/ what fees i will have to pay? can i pay at the airport, or not?

senseless

You have to pay 2000 (or 1500 i cant remember) pesos for every 2 months of over stay for the visa

500 pesos per month of overstay as penalty

You have to go to immigration's office in manila in person. You have to write a letter to immigration stating why you were overstay. You have a possibility depending on how good or bad your letter is to be put on a blacklist as permanently barred from re-entering the country.

Just search the forum all the info is there. I was thinking about overstaying instead of leaving the country since I hate flying with a passion. Don't do it.

Edited by senseless

exit fee, exit tax or more correct TERMINAL FEE is 550 peso at cebu airport and 750 peso at manilla for international flights.

normally the terminal fee is included in the airfare, not so in the philippines and I know that leaving buenos aires you also have to pay the airport terminal fee separately when you leave

Ivantheterrible

Ummm... ok, i know about the terminal fee already.

And i also know, that having to go to Manila to report my overstay is completely incorrect.

However, what i don't know, is if i can pay my overstay at the airport or not?

My flight is tomorrow afternoon, and i will be two days overstay.

Will i pay 500 for overstay or 1000 for overstay? Can i pay at the airport, or do i have to go to the BOI?

if i have to go to the BOI do i JUST have to pay for overstay or am i FORCED to pay for the visa extension as well even though i am planning on leaving the country later that very same day?

The Mason

And i also know, that having to go to Manila to report my overstay is completely incorrect.

Will i pay 500 for overstay or 1000 for overstay? Can i pay at the airport, or do i have to go to the BOI?

if i have to go to the BOI do i JUST have to pay for overstay or am i FORCED to pay for the visa extension as well even though i am planning on leaving the country later that very same day?

You cannot pay at the airport.

You must pay for any extensions you missed plus the fines at the BOI office. It doesn't have to be in Manila, any BOI office that handles extensions can do it for you. You *might* be able to use an agent for the extension, but given your short time frame you should do it yourself.

If you show up at the airport without a valid visa/extension, they will not permit you to leave the country. I guess you could try to bribe your way through it, but I wouldn't count on that working.

If you don't like those answers, here is an alternative one that may be more like what you are hoping to hear....

Hey man, don't worry about that extension in your passport. The immigration laws are just like the traffic laws. They're really more guidelines than laws. Just flash some cash at the airport and you'll be just fine. Have a great flight.

I stayed for more than six months and forgot exit clearance certificate and my flight was on monday morning and i got the info on sunday evening that i needed exit clearance...i had no choice but to go to the airport and believe, hope that all will be well.

Luckily, the lady at the immigration was charming. she just looked at the passport, i almost had a heart attack and put a stamp and i was off.. with a promise to myself that i won't be stupid again...if she had objected...i would had to return back and go to immigration main office and get the exit clearance certificate.

I would suggest if you have time to get whatever is required...if you overstay...you have to pay for two more months..not the number of days...that is 3500 pesos or 1500 for one month stay + 500 over stay fee + 500 motion for reconsideration etc etc..

If you are in a soup and have no choice...i would suggest to go with plan B...

a) Go to the lady immigration officer at the airport..they are more cool....say good morning and smile..if caught...plead beg cry do whatever, but solve the issues there itself, don't let her contact second person. They still have the authority to make a final decision they can let you go without the fees. If you start begging ( more with like crying ) filipinas are nice and soft hearted :biggrin_01: and tell them you love Philippines and you really have urgent matter to attend thats why you forgot the extension etc etc...

When i came to manila, i smiled and said good evening and had a small talk, and the immigration officer put 60 days stamp rather than 21 days ( im from india so i don't get visa on arrival) and he pointed out that he had put 60 days on passport...so many things are possible if we play our cards right...

BUT Plan B depends upon luck and many other factors...I know how it feels when you stand in front of immigration officer and boarding gate....Man...don't take the chance...do the visa thing the right way...whatever the cost and time..postpone your flight if you can etc...its not worth the risk...

Good Luck....i hope you will get through

Ivantheterrible

You must pay for any extensions you missed plus the fines at the BOI office. It doesn't have to be in Manila, any BOI office that handles extensions can do it for you. You *might* be able to use an agent for the extension, but given your short time frame you should do it yourself.

If you show up at the airport without a valid visa/extension, they will not permit you to leave the country. I guess you could try to bribe your way through it, but I wouldn't count on that working.

If you don't like those answers, here is an alternative one that may be more like what you are hoping to hear....

Hey man, don't worry about that extension in your passport. The immigration laws are just like the traffic laws. They're really more guidelines than laws. Just flash some cash at the airport and you'll be just fine. Have a great flight.

Humm.... what kind of amount would i have to 'flash' at the airport in order to expect to get through.

If i take the risk, and smile and am friendly, what kind of chance are we talking about here? Is it sill a long shot that it would go my way, or is it actually likely it would go my way?

Ivan;

The guys have told you their opinions, but it sounds like you are hoping we can give you a loophole, we can't. Also, these forums are watched by government officials. So my advice to you is the one that you have gotten the most; since you have two days, go to BOI ASAP. Go yourself, give the letter and flash the cash there. In the form of the fees. More than likely they will let you go. But the longer you keep looking for a loophole from us, means less time you have to go to BOI and your flight.

Humm.... what kind of amount would i have to 'flash' at the airport in order to expect to get through.

If i take the risk, and smile and am friendly, what kind of chance are we talking about here? Is it sill a long shot that it would go my way, or is it actually likely it would go my way?

Ivantheterrible

Ivan;

The guys have told you their opinions, but it sounds like you are hoping we can give you a loophole, we can't. Also, these forums are watched by government officials. So my advice to you is the one that you have gotten the most; since you have two days, go to BOI ASAP. Go yourself, give the letter and flash the cash there. In the form of the fees. More than likely they will let you go. But the longer you keep looking for a loophole from us, means less time you have to go to BOI and your flight.

Well... the BOI is closed right now, and has been for the entire time i've had this thread open, which has only been the last few hours, so i really don't see how i am delaying going there at this point in time... not trying to be difficult, just saying...

In fact, that's why i am trying to get all the answers now, so that, if i need to, i can go there shortly after they open tomorrow morning.

I'm a bit confused on this from a legal standpoint though. Isn't the entire purpose of overstay, to pay money if you...overstay? wouldn't extending your visa technically be different? it just seems to me that if i have overstayed and am paying the fine for overstaying why am i ALSO paying to extend my visa when i have no need to do so? if i am leaving the country it really seems that legally i should only have to pay the overstay fine.

Also what happens if i just don't have the money to pay? it would seem better for the government if they just kicked me out of the country, or, i don't know, let me leave voulentairly, as i am trying to do, then it would be for them to jail me.

JohnFromTexas

The fee will be 1000 pesos at BoI - I just had the situation of being a couple day sover last month. If you go tomorrow it will be no problem to get it taken care of just get there early. If you think you are going to bribe your way out of the country for less than 1000 go ahead and try but I hope you have a refundable ticket ;)

The reason you have to pay even if you are leaving is that you have to have a valid visa to leave. To get the valid visa stamp, you have to file the motion to reconsider. You can't pay the overstay fee without the motion. Those are just the government bureaucratic rules. They want their money and they don't care how you feel about it. It's not about what's right, it's about getting their money. You're not the first person who's asked 'if i'm only staying over my visa for 2 days why do i have to pay for a full extension?' FYI just so we're clear that 1000 is on top of the 59 day extension fees you will be paying as well. There is no such thing as a 2 day extension/overstay. So expect to pay around 4-5000 total for your 2 days over. Remember next time to plan out your tickets to match your visa renewal fees. Be sure and do it you are crazy if you show up at the airport without doing it -- yes theoretically you might get through if you the immigration person is in a good mood. Or they could blow your whole trip home. Why risk it?

Thanks John.

The fee will be 1000 pesos at BoI - I just had the situation of being a couple day sover last month. If you go tomorrow it will be no problem to get it taken care of just get there early. If you think you are going to bribe your way out of the country for less than 1000 go ahead and try but I hope you have a refundable ticket smile.gif

The reason you have to pay even if you are leaving is that you have to have a valid visa to leave. To get the valid visa stamp, you have to file the motion to reconsider. You can't pay the overstay fee without the motion. Those are just the government bureaucratic rules. They want their money and they don't care how you feel about it. It's not about what's right, it's about getting their money. You're not the first person who's asked 'if i'm only staying over my visa for 2 days why do i have to pay for a full extension?' FYI just so we're clear that 1000 is on top of the 59 day extension fees you will be paying as well. There is no such thing as a 2 day extension/overstay. So expect to pay around 4-5000 total for your 2 days over. Remember next time to plan out your tickets to match your visa renewal fees. Be sure and do it you are crazy if you show up at the airport without doing it -- yes theoretically you might get through if you the immigration person is in a good mood. Or they could blow your whole trip home. Why risk it?

I'm a bit confused on this from a legal standpoint though. Isn't the entire purpose of overstay, to pay money if you...overstay? wouldn't extending your visa technically be different? it just seems to me that if i have overstayed and am paying the fine for overstaying why am i ALSO paying to extend my visa when i have no need to do so? if i am leaving the country it really seems that legally i should only have to pay the overstay fine.

Also what happens if i just don't have the money to pay? it would seem better for the government if they just kicked me out of the country, or, i don't know, let me leave voulentairly, as i am trying to do, then it would be for them to jail me.

You could plead ignorance and/or get lucky. Not everyone wants to bother with all the hassles involved with detaining/extorting/fining you.

Personally, I wouldn't do it (nor am I encouraging it!), but that's mostly due to the fact that I wouldn't want to miss my flight. ;)

ancienrocka

The Mason is right.

You can't extend at the airport.

You will need to pay for a visa extension AND pay the fine/motion for reconsideration of 1,000p at the Mandaue BoI. Let me know when you arrived and I will tell you how much your visa extension will cost for 2 months - the cost varies from extension to extension. As you only want a couple of days, ask for a one month extension which will be about two thirds the cost of a 2 month extension.

If you have been here longer than 6 months you will need a 500p "exit clearance". If this is the case, take three 1"x1" photos to the BoI along with your passport. I also suggest you write a letter of apology/explanation for your overstay - it used to be mandatory but now seems to be less important.

Paul