Foreigners beware in the Philippines

I'm of two minds on this topic:

1) I feel for the country as a tourist destination. I think the country deserves a better fate and more income for tour operators, business and the economy as a whole. Just for the betterment of the average joe.

2) The philippines is VERY dangerous. Go to Hawaii, Guam, Fiji etc.

BusBoy

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senseless

• Cipro

• Willie

• TheDuke

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats because this entire country is a ghetto.

To me ghetto and the term abject poverty are synonymous. Crime is not necessarily involved. It's just a look or feel to the place, as if dirty, unmaintained, not taken care of, run down. Which I think

Correct, and how did those jewish communities look? My choice adjectives before I think describe what a jewish ghetto would look like fairly accurately. And still holds true today. But the segregated

In the ghetto. I don't have enough stolen foreign aid money to qualify for living inside the enclaves. Hence why I have an electric fence big ass dogs and a gun under the wife's name. Also the doors get locked at 8pm and don't unlock until 8am.

You may ungraciously describe where you live as a "ghetto", insulting though it may be to your Filipino neighbours and all Filipinos who don't have your advantages. I wouldn't.

Too me ghetto describes an attitude and way of thinking that I've never yet observed in the PI, but I've not been around that much. My GF lives with her family in a "squatter area" inside someones coconut plantation/beach/whatever, and she and her neighbors have very little in terms of money. They do however take care of each other and what little they have.

I respect them for doing the most they can with what they have, and thank my luck to be able to offer her a better life. I just hope the life I have in mind for her is really an improvement, and that she will be happy.

I agree, though my gf's family is not the richest, the family works together to help each other, much more than here. I feel the same way, too, I hope the life I see with her is an improvement for all of us, too.

• Admin (Retired)
broden

All of Latin America Third World??? Mexico and Brazil are top 15 GNP countries, although likely classified second tier. Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica all second tier, too. Colombia, Venezuela, and Panama, nearly so, depending on criteria. And all the gulf states third world??? Is this map pre-OPEC?

This map is probably older than most of you. I was not able to find an updated version.

Most of us were born before the advent of cartography. :wt-hell:

there just wasn't much need for it before the continents shifted

This map is a joke. Cuba 2nd world? North Korea 2nd world? Turkey 1st world? Plus it shows the late communist DDR or East Germany as an entity.

Perhaps it would help to learn the origin of the terms 'first world', 'second world', and 'third world'.

This map will be clearer then. :biggrin_01:

These terms were coined during the Cold War. 'First world' implied that a country was aligned with the US, 'second world' with the USSR, and 'third world' to those who weren't aligned with either.

The terms have since taken on other meanings.

Edited by Mailman

Countries of the Third World

The term "Third World" was originally coined in times of the Cold War to distinguish those nations that are neither aligned with the West (NATO) nor with the East, the Communist bloc.

Today the term is often used to describe the developing countries of Africa, Asia, Latin America and Oceania.

Many poorer nations adopted the term to describe themselves.

This map is a joke. Cuba 2nd world? North Korea 2nd world? Turkey 1st world? Plus it shows the late communist DDR or East Germany as an entity.

Perhaps it would help to learn the origin of the terms 'first world', 'second world', and 'third world'.

This map will be clearer then. :thumbs_up:

These terms were coined during the Cold War. 'First world' implied that a country was aligned with the US, 'second world' with the USSR, and 'third world' to those who weren't aligned with either.

The terms have since taken on other meanings.

Now that map makes sense! :biggrin_01: