Foreigners beware in the Philippines

senseless

To me ghetto and the term abject poverty are synonymous. Crime is not necessarily involved. It's just a look or feel to the place, as if dirty, unmaintained, not taken care of, run down. Which I think 90% of us could agree describes just about the entire philippines.

• Like 1
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senseless

• Cipro

• Willie

• TheDuke

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats because this entire country is a ghetto.

To me ghetto and the term abject poverty are synonymous. Crime is not necessarily involved. It's just a look or feel to the place, as if dirty, unmaintained, not taken care of, run down. Which I think

Correct, and how did those jewish communities look? My choice adjectives before I think describe what a jewish ghetto would look like fairly accurately. And still holds true today. But the segregated

To me ghetto and the term abject poverty are synonymous. Crime is not necessarily involved. It's just a look or feel to the place, as if dirty, unmaintained, not taken care of, run down. Which I think 90% of us could agree describes just about the entire philippines.

It actually means a segregated area where an ethnic subset of the population lives, usually enjoying less (of whatever) than the surrounding areas. Originally applied to Jewish communities in Europe, made famous in Warsaw.

I don't think it means what you think it means. No offense.

We need more policemen here in the Philippines to make it safer.

Oh wait, we need LESS policemen in the Philippines to make it safer.

senseless

It actually means a segregated area where an ethnic subset of the population lives, usually enjoying less (of whatever) than the surrounding areas. Originally applied to Jewish communities in Europe, made famous in Warsaw.

Correct, and how did those jewish communities look? My choice adjectives before I think describe what a jewish ghetto would look like fairly accurately. And still holds true today. But the segregated area in this case is a chain of islands called the philippines who have less than everyone else in the world because of their inability to govern themselves and the thievery of those in charge.

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1

Correct, and how did those jewish communities look? My choice adjectives before I think describe what a jewish ghetto would look like fairly accurately. And still holds true today. But the segregated area in this case is a chain of islands called the philippines who have less than everyone else in the world because of their inability to govern themselves and the thievery of those in charge.

By that logic most of the world is "a ghetto". Not buying it but YMMV as they say.

senseless

By that logic most of the world is "a ghetto". Not buying it but YMMV as they say.

That is correct, most of the world is a ghetto.

Blue is first world

Red is second world

Green is third world

800px-First_second_third_worlds_map.svg.png

Do you notice the disproportionate amount of green vs red and blue?

Weird thing is, brunei is still marked as green when they have 5th highest gdp per capita. Wonder why, I'll have to do some research on that one.

Wikipedia says that brunei is now considered a developed nation.

Brunei has the second highest Human Development Index among the South East Asia nations, after Singapore and is classified as a Developed Country.[8] According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Brunei is ranked 4th in the world by gross domestic product per capita at purchasing power parity.[9]

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure the word implies a minority thing, thus we come full circle to "you keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means" - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride

Blue is first world

Red is second world

Green is third world

Do you notice the disproportionate amount of green vs red and blue?

Weird thing is, brunei is still marked as green when they have 5th highest gdp per capita. Wonder why, I'll have to do some research on that one.

Wikipedia says that brunei is now considered a developed nation.

Brunei has the second highest Human Development Index among the South East Asia nations, after Singapore and is classified as a Developed Country.[8] According to the International Monetary Fund (IMF), Brunei is ranked 4th in the world by gross domestic product per capita at purchasing power parity.[9]

Hmmmmm, the map still shows East Germany which means its at least about 20 years out of date. Probably time for a new version

senseless

Hmmmmm, the map still shows East Germany which means its at least about 20 years out of date. Probably time for a new version

Nice catch I hadn't noticed. It was an image I grabbed from wikipedia. Would explain why there are some green countries that shouldn't be.

digiteye

Blue is first world

Red is second world

Green is third world

This map is a joke. Cuba 2nd world? North Korea 2nd world? Turkey 1st world? Plus it shows the late communist DDR or East Germany as an entity.

Blue is first world

Red is second world

Green is third world

This map is a joke. Cuba 2nd world? North Korea 2nd world? Turkey 1st world? Plus it shows the late communist DDR or East Germany as an entity.

All of Latin America Third World??? Mexico and Brazil are top 15 GNP countries, although likely classified second tier. Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica all second tier, too. Colombia, Venezuela, and Panama, nearly so, depending on criteria. And all the gulf states third world??? Is this map pre-OPEC?

Edited by Willie
senseless

All of Latin America Third World??? Mexico and Brazil are top 15 GNP countries, although likely classified second tier. Chile, Argentina, Uruguay, Puerto Rico and Costa Rica all second tier, too. Colombia, Venezuela, and Panama, nearly so, depending on criteria. And all the gulf states third world??? Is this map pre-OPEC?

This map is probably older than most of you. I was not able to find an updated version.

This map is probably older than most of you. I was not able to find an updated version.

Most of us were born before the advent of cartography. :wt-hell:

Someone is seriously going to give me negative rep for saying this? Please explain your position. How can a country who's gdp per capita is lower than IRAQ NOT be a complete ghetto? Or is it just a case of me not being PC enough for you?

It wasn't me, but I don't think being low income makes a place automatically a ghetto. Poor people can still have community standards, good family values and so on. Money doesn't make people automatically better.

I wish I could remember the study, but I read that those who are poor are more religious, more strict with their children, and demand respect from their kids. Those who have money, the rich, the morals are lower which is atributed to more excessive time and money. I know this is a generalization but when I read it, it made sense.

Now in my work, I go into so many peoples houses. I see rich who are slobs and hateful and poor who are clean and respectful. Being poor does not make someone a "ghetto" any more than being more wealthy makes you right.