Foreigners beware in the Philippines

My wife and I are visiting her relatives in Cebu City in November with our 3 year old daughter and this article did not help set our mind at ease. I have never been worried about my safety when I visited the Philippines since I pay attention to what is going on around me but this is my first time to visit since my daughter was born so I am particularly worried about the kidnapping part. I would surmise that the type of person or person who kidnaps people must find it attractive to see a foreigner with a child walking around. It's as close to the perfect target as they will get. They know that you are probably there for a short period of time and will do almost anything to get your child back before you have to leave the country. That equates to paying alot of money. People always say that things like this are overblown, and maybe they are right, but I still can't help but feel like I will be walking around with a target on my back.

Edited by TheDuke
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senseless

• Cipro

• Willie

• TheDuke

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thats because this entire country is a ghetto.

To me ghetto and the term abject poverty are synonymous. Crime is not necessarily involved. It's just a look or feel to the place, as if dirty, unmaintained, not taken care of, run down. Which I think

Correct, and how did those jewish communities look? My choice adjectives before I think describe what a jewish ghetto would look like fairly accurately. And still holds true today. But the segregated

rfm010

My wife and I are visiting her relatives in Cebu City in November with our 3 year old daughter and this article did not help set our mind at ease. I have never been worried about my safety when I visited the Philippines since I pay attention to what is going on around me but this is my first time to visit since my daughter was born so I am particularly worried about the kidnapping part. I would surmise that the type of person or person who kidnaps people must find it attractive to see a foreigner with a child walking around. It's as close to the perfect target as they will get. They know that you are probably there for a short period of time and will do almost anything to get your child back before you have to leave the country. That equates to paying alot of money. People always say that things like this are overblown, and maybe they are right, but I still can't help but feel like I will be walking around with a target on my back.

greetings duke. i don't want to take this off topic except that if it is then that is what i'm doing i guess. i notice your location as san antonio and i would like your assessment of how things are in your own neck of the woods, given what i'm hearing about the problems along the border and your slight proximity to it. i don't ask in an effort to say that however bad things are here they can be bad anywhere, although there is some truth in that, but, rather, because my brother in law and his family emigrated to the north end of your town just last week. his kids just had their first day at barbara bush middle school if that helps locate their area for you. some of the stories i'm hearing about violence along the border towns are a bit scary and i'm wondering to what extent any of that may be drifting further north.

i don't know anything about the cebu city situation but i don't worry too much about my child here in metro-manila although i always have my guard up just a bit.

having said that, i might add that the father of one of my child's elementary school classmates has been on trial for kidnapping for several years now...

senseless

In most western countries its easy to determine the high crime areas from the safe neighborhoods. Here in the Philippines, its much harder to make that distinction. Extreme poverty and wealth co-exist side by side. Its pretty common to see squatter areas right outside a subdivision's gates or the lobby of your condo building.

In my opinion, its this inability to avoid poverty-stricken areas that makes the Philippines a more dangerous place to live.

• Like 2

greetings duke. i don't want to take this off topic except that if it is then that is what i'm doing i guess. i notice your location as san antonio and i would like your assessment of how things are in your own neck of the woods, given what i'm hearing about the problems along the border and your slight proximity to it. i don't ask in an effort to say that however bad things are here they can be bad anywhere, although there is some truth in that, but, rather, because my brother in law and his family emigrated to the north end of your town just last week. his kids just had their first day at barbara bush middle school if that helps locate their area for you. some of the stories i'm hearing about violence along the border towns are a bit scary and i'm wondering to what extent any of that may be drifting further north.

i don't know anything about the cebu city situation but i don't worry too much about my child here in metro-manila although i always have my guard up just a bit.

having said that, i might add that the father of one of my child's elementary school classmates has been on trial for kidnapping for several years now...

They live in the Stone Oak area which is considered the rich part of town. For the most part the rest of San Antonio is a ghetto. We are looking to buy some property on the extreme north part of town up past Stone Oak and build a house so my daughter can go to a school in the country. My wife commented that the south side of town reminded her of the Philippines. We don't see much of the violence on the border because San Antonio is about 150 miles away, but I'm sure this is the first stop for all of the drugs coming up from Mexico and the mexican mafia has a big presence here. I was born and raised in the Houston area so San Antonio is a podunk town to me.

senseless

Someone is seriously going to give me negative rep for saying this? Please explain your position. How can a country who's gdp per capita is lower than IRAQ NOT be a complete ghetto? Or is it just a case of me not being PC enough for you?

• Like 1

Someone is seriously going to give me negative rep for saying this? Please explain your position. How can a country who's gdp per capita is lower than IRAQ NOT be a complete ghetto? Or is it just a case of me not being PC enough for you?

Yes because you condemn the Philippines as a whole with that statement. It's like saying "all Filipinas are scammers" which simply is not true.

Mark

senseless

Yes because you condemn the Philippines as a whole with that statement. It's like saying "all Filipinas are scammers" which simply is not true.

Ah it makes sense. You don't understand a generalization (maybe because you're english? (e.g. not PC) Another generalization :D). Of course there are 'nice' rich enclaves surrounded by huge gates and lots of guards and private military with automatic weapons. Where do you think all the criminal politicians that steal the foreign aid money live? :D

Edited by senseless
  • Like 1

Ah it makes sense. You don't understand a generalization (maybe because you're english? (e.g. not PC) Another generalization :D). Of course there are 'nice' rich enclaves surrounded by huge gates and lots of guards and private military with automatic weapons. Where do you think all the criminal politicians that steal the foreign aid money live? :D

If you dont feel safe and obviously have such a low opinion of the place , why don't you just go home?

• Like 1
musicman666

i wish halliberton would come to cebu. :D

senseless

I wish halliberton would come to cebu. :D

If you don't like Iraq, or want to blame it on contractors then take your pick. Congo? Swaziland (which isnt even a real country)? Syria? Want to compare apples to apples? How about brunei which is just south of the philippines and ranked #5 highest GDP per capita according to the IMF. (higher gdp per capita than US, UK, etc)

Just look at the list. It's pathetic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29_per_capita

It wasn't me, but I don't think being low income makes a place automatically a ghetto. Poor people can still have community standards, good family values and so on. Money doesn't make people automatically better.

• Like 1

Ah it makes sense. You don't understand a generalization (maybe because you're english? (e.g. not PC) Another generalization :)). Of course there are 'nice' rich enclaves surrounded by huge gates and lots of guards and private military with automatic weapons. Where do you think all the criminal politicians that steal the foreign aid money live? :rolleyes:

Ah, so there are two Philippines, are there? One where all the wealthy families live in their highly-guarded enclaves and the other which is little more than a collection of squatter camps. In which of those two Philippines do you live?

Mark

senseless

Ah, so there are two Philippines, are there? One where all the wealthy families live in their highly-guarded enclaves and the other which is little more than a collection of squatter camps. In which of those two Philippines do you live?

In the ghetto. I don't have enough stolen foreign aid money to qualify for living inside the enclaves. Hence why I have an electric fence big ass dogs and a gun under the wife's name. Also the doors get locked at 8pm and don't unlock until 8am.

(Just to clarify about the electric fence. It's not really electric but some of the 220 wires dangle near the fence and it charges the steel. I had to jump the fence the other day when the wife locked me out of the house by accident. I ended up getting the piss shocked out of me twice a bone deep cut on my hand and a bruise on my leg that looks like the devil)

Edited by senseless

In the ghetto. I don't have enough stolen foreign aid money to qualify for living inside the enclaves. Hence why I have an electric fence big ass dogs and a gun under the wife's name. Also the doors get locked at 8pm and don't unlock until 8am.

You may ungraciously describe where you live as a "ghetto", insulting though it may be to your Filipino neighbours and all Filipinos who don't have your advantages. I wouldn't.

Mark

You may ungraciously describe where you live as a "ghetto", insulting though it may be to your Filipino neighbours and all Filipinos who don't have your advantages. I wouldn't.

Too me ghetto describes an attitude and way of thinking that I've never yet observed in the PI, but I've not been around that much. My GF lives with her family in a "squatter area" inside someones coconut plantation/beach/whatever, and she and her neighbors have very little in terms of money. They do however take care of each other and what little they have.

I respect them for doing the most they can with what they have, and thank my luck to be able to offer her a better life. I just hope the life I have in mind for her is really an improvement, and that she will be happy.

• Like 2