Sign in to follow this  
ronaldnn

How safe and secure do you feel?

smokey

I think most of the Philippines including Cebu is as safe as you make it. Big Rob said earlier is right, be smart with what you do and were you go. Don't draw unusual attention to yourself and treat people well and you will be treated well also. Many foreigners get in trouble in the Philippines because they do not treat people how they would want to be treated and make enemies. I have been to most of the Philippines and have never felt in real danger but I just obey these simple rules. 1. Treat other how I want to be treated. 2. Make as many friends as possible everywhere I go. 3. Obey the local laws and customs, and be smart with were you go and if you are alone be even smarter.

The Philippines is as safe as you make it for yourself!

Ray

man that is too much to remember this is the land of wearing shorts and a t shirt and shower shoes while riding a bike with no helmet and 4 friends ... when its your time embrace it but until then someone gives you shit give it back

EAGLE

thats-funny.gif nah I moved just a few bare essentials in a small light wallet i carried deep in my front pocket

if they were trying i didnt notice and didnt lose anything! thumbs_up.gif

i love the openess of the people there- almost anyone is happy to talk to you -

often you get asked? are you alone??? where are you going??? are you married???? the nursing students love to hear they can make 2.5 to 3 million pesos per year in the US! and the pharmacy students about piss their pants when you tell them they can start at 4.5 to 5 million pesos per year steve.gif

are you alone???

This is so they can determine how many of them will be needed to rob you.

where are you going???

To make sure they can push you off into an inconspicuous area to facilitate, the above.

are you married????

Maybe they want to rape you too?

the nursing students love to hear they can make 2.5 to 3 million pesos per year in the US!

...and with a little trip back to your place late one evening, you can provide the cute ones some pointers.

and the pharmacy students about piss their pants when you tell them they can start at 4.5 to 5 million pesos per year

Man...you should work for the recruiting deparment of a local Nursing University.

Done IT again Doyle...

A GREAT BIG Belly laugh from me in appreciation @ 03.25 in UK...Thank's Pal

Tom

Edited by EAGLE

NittanyLion

post-6633-128227107679_thumb.jpgDid you have to worry about this happening to you from the local police chief in LA?

i never felt i would be killed for no reason while walking through dodgy areas of cebu.. i never felt safe walking through the badlands of LA and i have done both!

the bad lands of LA... i lived in compton for a while and i spent one year in the LA county jail and was never mugged so i guess that means LA is as safe as cebu

USMC-Retired

If you are stupid it is a dangerous place. So are alot of cities for that matter. Petty crime is higher here then in most western countries. Individual attacks are higher. Major crime seems lower. Your chances of being attacked are higher. One reason you are a turd in a punch bowl.

The turd in punch bowl can apply anywhere. just be smart

shadow

manila-420x0 cop torture.jpgDid you have to worry about this happening to you from the local police chief in LA?

Ask ol' Rod;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rodney_King

Simply put people, the Philippines is as safe as you make it. If you're smart and prudent, you're as safe as anywhere else. If you're stupid and careless, or afraid of your own shadow, well,... maybe you should stay under the porch!

Larry in Dumaguete

ronaldnn

Wow...beginning to sound like a 'rough crowd" here.....stick_poke.gif

indiana

i feel as safe in cebu as i do in indiana and in camotes i feel safer... :party0023:

Alan S

Lets put it in perspective.

I spent most of 91-92 living and working in Angeles. since then I have visited many times (around 50 or so), staying for periods between 2 weeks and 8 or 9 weeks, living in everything from 5* hotels, to, well, the opposite extreme, and even in nipa huts.

I have travelled to places than many of the locals describe as dangerous, walked around alone at night, and broken most of the "rules".

And yet, I have never been attacked, or robbed, or had my pocket picked.

I havent had anything stolen, havent been the victim of a scam, or any other dubious practice.

(Did get in one fight though, but that was with a drunk American.)

That isnt because I am likely to be a physical threat to any possible attacker. Being elderly, overweight, and having had aa sedentary job, I wouldt appear to be a threat to anyone.

Yes, you do need to keep your eyes open and your wits about you and use some common sense, but given those, it is as safe as anywhere.

I find New York far more scary, and some parts of LA that I have seen (but not been stupid enough to walk around) are, in my opinion, most definately far more dangerous than the Philippines.

USMC-Retired

Alan I agree with you to a point. It is as safe as you make it. I would have felt safer in Iraq on a patrol then walking Mango Street at 3am. (Guns weapons body armor)

Though I have been robbed at gun point here. Outside of SM mall 2 years ago. Did the guards help did anyone help. Hell no. I am not flashy I nor did I really do anything to make myself a target. So do not think you are not a target. Your plane ticket here was 6+ times the average monthly salary of a typical Filipino. You are a target and keep that in mind. Is it safe. Yes I think overall it is safe. But crime is here just like every big city in the world. It is probably more here because poverty spreads to all sections of the city not to just one area of the city. Poor and uneducated people commit more crimes something the Philippines has an abundant number of.

win

I give things in general a 5 here in Cebu and environs...judge each circumstance on its own merit...at all times: pay attention, maintain low profile, be polite and as patient as can be (even when you wanna choke the living shit out of the ignorant fool that's trying said patience)

typical equipage for me when out & about: 2 pcs i.d., cell phone, police whistle, stun gun, minimal cash, and when not solo: asawa with carry permit and my Glock17 in "her" fanny pack which I always tote for her because I am such a gentleman