Sign in to follow this  
ronaldnn

How safe and secure do you feel?

Baldy

I know im out of order by this but maybe the admins will give me a slack here....hopefully

A couple of years ago a German Citizen living in Cebu was followed to his house, in a "clean" subdivision, and shot dead and robbed before the eyes of his wife and children by 3 gunmen. Why?

Well, he went out in the evening having a gold neckless stated to be worth some 12000 USD around his neck!! Twelvethousand United States dollars!! Hope he will excuse me for using him as an aexcample. That is just plain stupid. Even here in Norway going with that kind of money in some places could be leathal.

So, if you act like an ass, you sure am going to be treated like one!

• Like 1

Cary

Ron;

The RP is like any other place. You have your bad guys, you have your bad neighborhoods. Everyone is aware of them and avoids them. Same here. Now some members live in gated communities and some live among the people. My wife and I live among the people in a standard neighborhood. Everyone already knows who I am at the very least. We are nice to them and they are the same to us. In short use the good neighbor policy and use your head and you will be ok.

Jess Bartone

clint-eastwood.JPG

My 3 heroes as a youngster, Mr Smith, Mr Callaghan, and Mr Wesson... I wanted a model 29 so bad but couldn't get my hands on one so I settled for a Ruger Super Blackhawk s/a... long gone now.

I've nearly died a few times so I gave up fearing death a long time ago. Of course you don't walk around Maguindinao yelling "the prophet sucks", but neither should you wrap yourself in cotton wool. Being vulnerable is part of the human condition.

ronaldnn

No worries mate!

How do you feel in So Cal? Nothing bad happens there, right?

Been here in So Cal. for many years, yes some crazy's running around here to of course. Overall, where I am at is quite mellow...thanks for the feedback!

ronaldnn

No worries mate!

How do you feel in So Cal? Nothing bad happens there, right?

how do you compare California to cebu oh because they both start with a C.... ?? Sorry .... the most important safty factor is when you dial 911 someone shows up at your house well here that is a dream unless your the mayor or someone with a special phone number to call... no i am kidding you will be very safe here just dont drink, loan money , wander the streets at night , dont use hookers , dont dress nice , dont wear jewlery , dont ride jeepneys , dont yell ,scream, or insult anyone with brown skin and or dark hair and you will be snug as a bug in a rug... Now if you plan on breaking any of these rules get your wife to get a carry permit and pack a 45 and a few spare clips

[/ quote]

Sounds very encouraging!!

NittanyLion

I think that a local wife provides more security to the people here.

Having her family around you does more of the same.

If you're independent, then it's a different situation. I give it 4 on safety (1 being the lowest).

Mailman

Now if you plan on breaking any of these rules get your wife to get a carry permit and pack a 45 and a few spare clips

I don't know... in the event that the "don't use hookers" rules is broken, I'm not so sure that it is wise for the wife to be packin' heat. :)

Edited by Mailman

EAGLE

I know im out of order by this but maybe the admins will give me a slack here....hopefully

A couple of years ago a German Citizen living in Cebu was followed to his house, in a "clean" subdivision, and shot dead and robbed before the eyes of his wife and children by 3 gunmen. Why?

Well, he went out in the evening having a gold neckless stated to be worth some 12000 USD around his neck!! Twelvethousand United States dollars!! Hope he will excuse me for using him as an aexcample. That is just plain stupid. Even here in Norway going with that kind of money in some places could be leathal.

So, if you act like an ass, you sure am going to be treated like one!

There was a case in London, England some 6 years ago where a woman in the West End shopping and wearing a Gold Rolex was followed home by a group and when she started screaming as they grabbed her watch one of them produced a "Machete" and cut her hand off to get the watch....

so IF ya got IT -- DON'T flaunt it... IMHO in most Countries not just PI. I have given PI a score of 8

EAGLE

Edited by EAGLE

broden

just be like T and wear more than they can carry or cut through

2006_0714_mrT.JPG

good exercise too

Willie

Ronald said, "Am wondering after reading all the criminal stats and corrupt cops/officials on a one to ten scale with ten being the most secure and safe how do you feel in the PI? After reading some of the bad happenings regarding theft, robbery, snatchers, and even getting thrown in the "Pokey" for a extortion attempt, or because someone got upset about a non significant issue, does any of this have you concerned or overly concerned? I've been there several times and course not always felt it was a "safe haven", but at the same time enjoyed my time there but then again...would I really want to live there?? Ok, anyway can I have your thoughts, ratings on a one to ten regarding safety and security in the PI?"

Ronald, you've been in touch with Fanboat since he got back? Talk to him. He would be a great person to talk to about any concerns you may have.

Cary

Exactly Willie.

Ron;

As I said before you will have your good and bad areas and good and bad people to know and to avoid. Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds to me that you are reading too many of the bad stories that come out about the RP. No doubt many of those stories are true and some are overblown. Again just like anyother place. Like you I came from so. cal, Los Angeles, specifically. And many of my in-laws were always texting me of the horror stories they heard. I told them the same as I am telling you, some of its true, alot overblown just like any other place. Another thing, Nittany Lion made a great point about your wife. she will be a great source of information and safety for you here as well as her family. As best as you can, turn off the tv, relax and come enjoy your life in the RP.

Ronald said, "Am wondering after reading all the criminal stats and corrupt cops/officials on a one to ten scale with ten being the most secure and safe how do you feel in the PI? After reading some of the bad happenings regarding theft, robbery, snatchers, and even getting thrown in the "Pokey" for a extortion attempt, or because someone got upset about a non significant issue, does any of this have you concerned or overly concerned? I've been there several times and course not always felt it was a "safe haven", but at the same time enjoyed my time there but then again...would I really want to live there?? Ok, anyway can I have your thoughts, ratings on a one to ten regarding safety and security in the PI?"

Ronald, you've been in touch with Fanboat since he got back? Talk to him. He would be a great person to talk to about any concerns you may have.

Baldy

My rating will be 3.

ronaldnn

Haven't had any issues with my physical safety and am not worried about that, only mostly concerned about the corruption and scams....Sure have been in touch with Fanboat...nice guy with much infor...

and thanks for writing back...Ron

Edited by ronaldnn

USMC-Retired

Lets be real people. Cebu is a large city with large city problems. The justice system is not going to protect you. The system here does not work in your favor. So are you safe? You are the envy of every poor Filipino. They want what you have. However if you attack life like that you will make your life safer.

smokey

you cant compare what happened to yourself as a judge as to how safe a place is.... the biggest bitch i have with the Philippines is the lack of police response ... If someone does break into your house and your lucky enough to hear it you can grab your cell phone and lock yourself in the bathroom and the next day your still in the bathroom waiting for the police to show up...As long as its legal to have your wife own a gun and you dont have small children in the house do it best investment you will ever make, If your lucky you will never have to use it and if your not so lucky you will be glad you had it.