Wedding Costs ??

How much would (did) you spend on your wedding ?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. How much would (did) you spend on your wedding ?

My little dove wants a big wedding......she's 23, comes from a good family, says that's how it's done....her estimates are around 150K...I know a buddy that got married on the beach in Subic for about 15,000 a few years back.......I'm afraid this will be just the begininng..........

shitstormretarded.gif

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RokNRich

• EAGLE

• broden

• For Real

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A young boy was knocked down by a motorcyclist in the Wicklow Gap in Ireland. The Yamaha sped away. A motorist saw the boy at the side of the road and stopping asked the boy if he needed a Dr.? "N

When you say, "... comes from a good family," does that mean she comes from a family with money? Or, does she come from middle or lower income family? I know many "good" families here that are poor as

Obviously the thin mountain air has gotten to you while cresting the high mountain pass. Come back down to reality. Not all of us have the privilege or sponsors to be a race car driver. Lucky you.

Posted Images

Well $3000 isn't chicken feed but ... it's not really so much is it? I explained to my GF that we can do that, but she needs to understand that "my money" is soon to be "our money" ... so would she like to spend that on the wedding or something else?

She has tentatively downsized the plans, but ultimately if it's important to her, I don't care.

Well $3000 isn't chicken feed but ... it's not really so much is it? I explained to my GF that we can do that, but she needs to understand that "my money" is soon to be "our money" ... so would she like to spend that on the wedding or something else?

She has tentatively downsized the plans, but ultimately if it's important to her, I don't care.

That about sums it up......I told her we could use that money for other things later down the road and she said she was willing to wait for some of those things (new furniture, etc.) in order to have the wedding. We've downsized the cost a few times allready and then something else pops up that ends up bringing the total back up to about $3K USD.

A friend here (married to a Filipino) advises me that this will be just the beginning...............argghh...I wouldn;t care so much either, but I worry that is going to be the case with everything going forward....

softail

IMHO you will be setting the bar pretty high as far as future expectations from the family. You will be perceived as wealthy. You will be expected to live up to there expectation from now on. I know I made the mistake of being the big spender the first time I met my wife

Bet_Busta

My son's wedding spending last January did not reach 150T but for certain was over 100T.

Reception was P300/head excluding lechon and softdrinks. While the wife and her family did not ask for it, me and my wife wanted it to be something a bit special as for us marriage should happen only once in a life time. I chipped-in 60T.

By Filipino standard, it was simple.

A nephew's wedding July of last year must have cost 500T. He's an immigrant to the US working there as a PT. They hired a dance troop to perform Filipno folk dance as there were foreign guests. That was something lavish.

When you say, "... comes from a good family," does that mean she comes from a family with money? Or, does she come from middle or lower income family? I know many "good" families here that are poor as church mice.

I have been married in this country twice.

The first time was in 1994, January - or, maybe February? Anyway, It cost about $300 USD back then. One half of that was for fixing the wedding, the other half for the wedding.

The second time I was married in the Philippines, it cost something like $150 USD, because it was a simple wedding at Villa Teresita.

Both were civil weddings with a judge.

There is no way in hell I would ever pay that much for a wedding.

The problem is, many of these girls would never, ever ask a Filipino to spend that kind of money on a wedding. Hell, many of them, if they do get married, don't even buy wedding rings.

Those sorts of things - costly weddings, wedding rings, etc., are only for the rich.

Edited by Admin
  • Like 4

That about sums it up......I told her we could use that money for other things later down the road and she said she was willing to wait for some of those things (new furniture, etc.) in order to have the wedding. We've downsized the cost a few times allready and then something else pops up that ends up bringing the total back up to about $3K USD.

A friend here (married to a Filipino) advises me that this will be just the beginning...............argghh...I wouldn;t care so much either, but I worry that is going to be the case with everything going forward....

NOW you have it!!!

My UK Civil Wedding, 2006 cost no more than £400 = P30,000 MAX. Reception at home 30 guests. Mr. Cheapo me.!

Our PI Wedding 200 guests at Bishops Palace then 300 at home all catered for, wedding dress & 6 Bridesmaids dresses - made by Sis's - DVD - photographers and make up all that stuff came to a Grand total of £2,200 = US$ 3,400.. PHP 15,500. It could have been reduced but I thought that OK cost wise. Dec 2007

BUT and a BIG but my wife paid for it all from her UK income. (2 months Net) at that time.

Eagle

ps RockOn below put it better than me ? with the sensivity bit. He he .. Thanks Paul

Edited by EAGLE
ancienrocka

I spent just a little over 200,000p on my wedding to Elsa and I don't regret spending one centavo of it!! Hardly a day goes by that she doesn't mention her big day and repay me with love for the money spent. The DVD of the wedding has been replayed so many times to family and friends and the look on the faces of any woman who watches it is, in the words of the Mastercard advert, "priceless".

If you look at it as a male, a business decision, it is a lot of money, but, as a long term investment and a "thank you" for the love of your partner, it is good value for money. How much you spend obviously depends on your budget but please guys remember this is the most important day in the life of your partner - however much you spend, make the day magical!

If you want a break down of our costs to help you budget for your own wedding, check out my website

http://www.cebuexpatservices.com/planning-a-marriage-in-cebu.php

Some of you will call me a soft headed old fool, but I believe everyone has the right to spend their own money the way they want.

Paul

• Like 2

One option I gave her was to return in 2-3 years and have a big ceremony with money we saved together (she's coming here to the US and plans to work)...she was OK with that for a few days, but then I guess she talked with her parents about it and they made her feel bad.......

She has offered to pay back half the cost along with the other costs associated with getting her visa and over here...but I'm not sure that will actually happen or is something that needs to happen, I just don't want to set the precedent........

So, any tips on having a "nice" wedding on a " budget" price ?

scratch_head.gif

For Real

"A friend here (married to a Filipino) advises me that this will be just the beginning...............argghh...I wouldn;t care so much either, but I worry that is going to be the case with everything going forward...."

Not necessarily so...but you need to be in control.

Spent 100k on a 100 off guest wedding at Maribago beach a few years back & same wife is certainly very frugal (sometimes amazingly) when talking about household commodities. It was my wifes first wedding & weddings are very important in this part of the world.

It's just time for you to have the conversation regarding ongoing spending....make your position very clear. Communicate with your future wife, its also ok to listen to friends stories but the friend who told you what you quoted has himself possibly made a mistake in not setting the ground rules or marrying the wrong girl.

Good luck with it mate...I hope you are happy for ever after

shadow

We had a very nice wedding on the beach outside Dumaguete, food and drink for about 40 people, etc. for under P15,000. If you start with a P150,000 wedding, how much is a home for the parents going to cost?

You will be setting a precedent that you will be expected to continue with. Is this the type of marriage/relationship you want?

Everyone has their own wants and desires.

Larry in Dumaguete

• Like 3
  • Admin (Retired)
broden

we spent about 1000 bucks US including my suit (made there) and all the other wedding party's clothes, including my wifes dress of course but not including the honeymoon

i'd of spent more but my wife is a very good bargain hunter and didn't want to spend any more anyway and her Dad was still alive when she was doing a lot of the stuff to get ready and wouldn't let anyone even try to request we spend more

:not_see:

One option I gave her was to return in 2-3 years and have a big ceremony with money we saved together (she's coming here to the US and plans to work)...she was OK with that for a few days, but then I guess she talked with her parents about it and they made her feel bad.......

She has offered to pay back half the cost along with the other costs associated with getting her visa and over here...but I'm not sure that will actually happen or is something that needs to happen, I just don't want to set the precedent........

So, any tips on having a "nice" wedding on a " budget" price ?

scratch_head.gif

Humm......do you feel the outside pressure yet? I can see it in your Posts. Each time you and her agree, a few days later it's back to the same or more. You guess she talked to her parents? Hahaha.......I guess her parents talked to her, about a lot more then just a wedding! Offered to pay back.....99% of the time thats a fantasy too. Been there done that.......as many here have. You need to set a precedent and you need to set it now! If not, the families hidden agenda will be your new precedent! You may be hooked, but you certainly don't have to be reeled in! Family pressures are enormous on these girls, even more so when they have a foreign B/F or husband. You need to sit her down and tell her how the cow ate the cabbage, believe me they already have.

Now, you can have a very nice wedding here for 25 to 30,000 peso's including the reception, fully catered, approximately 50 guests, average cost 150 to 200 peso's per head. No alcohol included......I would advise against it. Wedding Dress and Brides Maids Dresses as well as Barong's can be rented. A beautiful poolside, seaside venue can be rented for the ceremony and reception at about 2000 peso's. So now food and venue is about 12,000 peso's. That leaves about 18,000 for flowers, dress rentals, minister, DJ and incidentals.....give or take 10%. Or you can look at it this way.......Spend the 150,000 peso's on the wedding, because if I don't the In-laws will get it anyway! I was amazed at what my wife was able to do for our wedding with 30,000 peso's. I could have afforded more, but we also needed a big refrigerator and wanted to build a new house. Now, 14 months later she has it all, just on a different Island, another lesson to be learned. Good Luck. :wink:

• Like 1

Well, traditionally speaking if your wife is not the first to marry then you may need to consider Nilakaran as an additional expense. This could be a red flag for future spending like your friend points out but only you can answer that. If "good family" means $$$ and they want a true Engrandeng Kasal, then they can contribute as well. Also remember the traditional Pamahiin or Tinohoan "stuffing ceremony". :not_see:

T

• Like 1