Aquino favors hike in sin tax

Amid public clamor and the Supreme Court's issuance of a temporary restraining order (TRO) against the plan to impose the 12 percent value-added tax (VAT) on toll rates, President Benigno S. Aquino III said on Monday he has put on hold the tax measure and is contemplating on raising sin taxes on cigarettes and liquor.

Aquino, in an interview after administering the oath of office of his first SC appointee Associate Justice Ma. Lourdes Sereno, said that with the suspension of the imposition of the VAT on toll, the government's finance and legal teams are now studying Plan B, which might include the raising of sin taxes that Aquino favors.

Aquino also said the implementation of the 250 percent hike on toll rates in the newly-rehabilitated South Luzon Expressway (SLEx) is more of a priority to him.

SkyMan

So it appears the deficit of the country is riding on the toll of one highway? I'm really surprised th idea of taxes on smokes and liquor is so taboo here but I guess that's the way it is. Lets fund the gov't based on the drivers of one highway, not let everyone share a little bit.