Where do you buy Bermuda grass?

I have a client who is an American working for a energy firm in Canada and he is married to a Filipina. He bought a lot in Barili and started to construct a house. He is currently in Canada and may land in Cebu in Jan. 2011, that is why he asked me if I know someone who sells these type of grass and for how much.

Any recommendations or suggestions?

JamesMusslewhite

Bermuda grass, does well in full sun, but poorly in full shade areas. It also does not cut well with a standard bladed lawnmower, rather it needs a combine mower for best appearance.

St Augustine, is far more shade tolerant with medium dark green blades, cuts well with standard lawnmower.

Zoysia Matrella, commonly known as "Manila Grass", is a species of mat-forming, perennial grass native to temperate coastal southeastern Asia and northern Australia, from southern Japan, Taiwan, and southern China.

Zoysia Japonica, sometimes called "Japanese lawn grass" or "Korean lawn grass." softer textured than Zoysia Matrella.

Edited by JamesMusslewhite
musicman666

i cant give you a tel number but there are opperators in the hills of cebu who have planted fields of bermuda ..and will deliver turf or sacks by van on request.

ask around .. they made contact with me when they saw that i had started to renovate my garden.

i cant give you a tel number but there are opperators in the hills of cebu who have planted fields of bermuda ..and will deliver turf or sacks by van on request.

ask around .. they made contact with me when they saw that i had started to renovate my garden.

Ask at any of the places selling plants & landscaping.

musicman666

Ask at any of the places selling plants & landscaping.

there was a big markup between garden centres ect and the price i paid direct..

I made contact with a Trisicad driver here close to my house in Cebu. He had relatives that lived in the hills above Barila. We took my truck and went there to pick it up. I paid by the Sq. foot, dont remember the cost. It did not do good so i took it back out and landscaped the yard again and used small rock. No more problems.

Just curious whether fescue is used there? It is common in US south. It stands up to summer heat (though not necessarily staying green unless watered) and grows well in shaded areas.

Edited by Willie

It is grown here in Davao as well as Cebu area. See Jim's post for specific names and qualities. The prices will vary from vendor to vendor depending on your bargaining skills. Ask for a discount depending on the quantity you buy. A little knowledge of the local language will help tremendously in the area. Here I found a guy who grows Bermuda, Korean and Carabou. I opted for Korean grass, it seems to do better in the shade and sun, grows slower, thus less maintenance......good for me. Its is usually cut into 6 inch squares. Prices ranged from 4 peso's to 2 peso's per piece depending on vendor and again, your bargaining skills. I bought 8000 pieces for 1.5 peso's per piece including installation and ground prep. I suggest looking around and finding someone actually installing grass on someones property. If you like the quality of his work then approach him and ask for his phone number and prices. Save the bargaining till he comes to see your actual project. The 2 pic's show the Korean grass that was laid about a month ago, the other is of Carabou grass that has seeded itself over the past year. Hope this gives you a little info that you can use.

post-4347-128191856527_thumb.jpg

post-4347-128191924532_thumb.jpg

• Admin (Retired)
broden

Just curious whether fescue is used there? It is common in US south. It stands up to summer heat (though not necessarily staying green unless watered) and grows well in shaded areas.

man i loved him on gunsmoke

:oldtimer:

I made contact with a Trisicad driver here close to my house in Cebu. He had relatives that lived in the hills above Barila. We took my truck and went there to pick it up. I paid by the Sq. foot, dont remember the cost. It did not do good so i took it back out and landscaped the yard again and used small rock. No more problems.

The first 4 to six weeks are very critical. Needs to watered each evening and fertilized weekly. This gives it a chance to over come shock and root itself to the ground under it. I use ammonium sulfate pellet, 3 parts and 1 part urea pellets, very cheap in feed store. Sold by the kilo. Broadcast evenly (not to heavy it can burn the grass) and water to dissolve. That should help it to be healthy and happy. :oldtimer:

"mullumbimby madness" is a far more superior grass and is quite literally out of this world.:thumbsup:

I just filled and leveled my lot, that's it. Then I let nature take its course. My lawn is visual interesting. Growing there must be at least four types of grass and as many types of weeds. After a lawn mowing it's quite uniform in appearance. But after a week or so of uneven growth it takes on a unique character. All at no cost.

I asked in CICC and a woman from a landscaper told me to buy it near maryville subd. in Talamban. She told me that I can get it at around 150 per square meter. The other guy suggested to me Blue grass instead at 80 per sqm.

rfm010

rather than answer your question of where to buy, i will ask why you want bermuda? we started our house out with bermuda because it seems that is what people do, but i hated it. hard to cut, needs to be kept short so no getting lazy and putting off a cutting, needs full sun so it doesn't do well with trees, walking on it barefoot is like walking on needles, and doesn't seem to handle lack of water very well. also, without constant maintenance, other grasses/weeds will likely overtake it. that's what happened at our house as we allowed "carabao grass" to overrun it and eventually replace it. much softer to walk on, easy to cut, easy to cut after forgetting to cut it for awhile, looks nicer to me, etc. my father in law who has a good sized lawn at his chicken ranch ended up doing the same thing.

what is carabao grass? i don't actually know, looks a bit like crab grass to me. there may be better grasses such as those others have mentioned but this is what i have experience with.

hope whatever you choose works out well.