Pesos drops

MANILA, Philippines -- The peso dropped Wednesday back to the 45:$1 level amid concerns the pace of global economic growth has been slowing down.

The local currency closed at 45.235 against the US dollar, down from 44.91 the previous day. Intraday high stood at 44.96, while low hit 45.24.

Volume of trade slipped to $933.45 million versus the previous day's $1.104 billion.

Traders said the drop of the peso mirrored the decline of many Asian currencies, which took a beating amid perception that the recovery of the world economy could be losing some ground as the US, a major export market, has been having difficulty boosting its growth.

The US Fed decided on Wednesday to keep its rates at historic lows of zero to 0.25 percent, giving signs that the US economy still needed much more stimulus from the US government.

http://business.inquirer.net/money/breakingnews/view/20100811-286248/Peso-drops-as-global-economy-slows-down

JohnFromTexas

Hope it keeps rising... getting money from an ATM typically gives you half a peso less than the existing exchange rate.. so even though it is back in the 45s I still am only effectively getting in the 44s :scratch_head:

The Mason

Hope it keeps rising... getting money from an ATM typically gives you half a peso less than the existing exchange rate.. so even though it is back in the 45s I still am only effectively getting in the 44s :rolleyes:

This is the biggest benefit of using cash. The rate at Victory Mall in Caloocan (Manila) was 45.6 yesterday.

On the other end of the spectrum, the remittance service I use is paying 44.3.

David Spicer

Hope it keeps rising... getting money from an ATM typically gives you half a peso less than the existing exchange rate.. so even though it is back in the 45s I still am only effectively getting in the 44s :thumbsup:

This is the biggest benefit of using cash. The rate at Victory Mall in Caloocan (Manila) was 45.6 yesterday.

On the other end of the spectrum, the remittance service I use is paying 44.3.

That's interesting.

Time period: 08/01/10 to 08/16/10.

Average (16 days): 45.31003

High: 45.52100

Low: 44.66900

JohnFromTexas

It's already been at that rate a couple times this year... probably will go back and forth between 44 and 47 multiple times between now and then if the last year's trend keeps up.