• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• shadow

• Headshot

• Venus

• Daisy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My wife did the seminar a few years back. The advice she got from a friend and it worked is 'only speak English' during the seminar. She denied speaking fluent Bisaya or Tagalog and insisted they spea

Interesting post,i can to some degree understand a CFO for Fiancee/Spouse Visas for those filipinas relocating to another country. But,for a filipina who married a foreigner in the Philippines,and bo

There is no requirement for the spouse or fiance of an alien to attend the CFO in order to leave on a tourist visa. However, there is such a requirement for one to obtain a passport.   Larry in Duma

Posted Images

shadow

Interesting post,i can to some degree understand a CFO for Fiancee/Spouse Visas for those filipinas relocating to another country.

But,for a filipina who married a foreigner in the Philippines,and both living permanently in the Philippines,for her to need a CFO on her passport to go on vacation as a tourist to another country with her husband,is total bullsh*t in my opinion.

There is no requirement for the spouse or fiance of an alien to attend the CFO in order to leave on a tourist visa. However, there is such a requirement for one to obtain a passport.

Larry in Dumaguete

www.fil2usavisa.com

Well thats kind of what i was getting at,i didn't phrase it right,my bad.

If i understand you correctly,in this instance only filipinas married to an alien need a CP to apply for a passport,but single filipinas don't.

Spouses and fiances of foreign nationals must attend CFO seminar to apply for a passport. There are several ways around this, but if they try to leave on any type of visa other than tourist without the CFO stamp they will not be allowed to board.

Larry in Dumaguete

www.fil2usavisa.com

I don't know if things changed but I am wondering why all these hassles in getting the CFO certificate. I took mine 6 years ago in Cebu, everything was so smooth and easy. I don't remember if I paid anything but if I paid I'm sure it would be very minimal. They do the counseling in the morning for those married to American nationals and afternoon for any others.

Attached is the photocopy of my CFO certificate to show that it is a government requirement.

post-1473-128149637771_thumb.jpeg

Interesting post,i can to some degree understand a CFO for Fiancee/Spouse Visas for those filipinas relocating to another country.

But,for a filipina who married a foreigner in the Philippines,and both living permanently in the Philippines,for her to need a CFO on her passport to go on vacation as a tourist to another country with her husband,is total bullsh*t in my opinion.

All Filipinas married to foreigners are MARKED as possible immigrant....there's no excuse! There was a time I think between 2005-2007 DFA lifted this requirement provided the Filipina is married to a foreigner and living in the Philippines for two years, then one year, but after that they resumed the CFO requirement. The problem is we will never know if we will not ask their office, I happen to know because there was a time ELCI invited the DFA officer in one of our monthly meeting.

lazydays

All Filipinas married to foreigners are MARKED as possible immigrant....there's no excuse! There was a time I think between 2005-2007 DFA lifted this requirement provided the Filipina is married to a foreigner and living in the Philippines for two years, then one year, but after that they resumed the CFO requirement. The problem is we will never know if we will not ask their office, I happen to know because there was a time ELCI invited the DFA officer in one of our monthly meeting.

Thanks Daisy,it just amazes me that if my wife and i decide to,lets say,go to HK for a weeks vacation,return flight from RP,that she has to attend for a CFO in order to get her passport renewed,just seems a little over the top regulation,especially if one has to fly all the way to Cebu or Manila to get it done.Hopefully,if/when the occassion arises,she can get her CFO in Davao City.

You can do the Seminar with the nuns or at the cfo/dfa.

So from what I'm hearing here the nuns can be a real pain in the ass?

I had heard somewhere else they were nice and easier on the paperwork, but I think that was some time ago.

I'll have to have my wife do this soon, I guess we will avoid the nuns then.

Sorry Til...the CFO is staffed by plain clothes nuns...you can't get around them. You may not actually even know they are nuns until they sign their names to the certificate and the initials of their Catholic order appear next to their names. The whole program is funded by the Catholic Church...NOT the Philippine government. It is sponsored by the government through a Presidential Decree (in cooperation with the Catholic Church), but was never funded by the government. It sounds like Shadow's suggestion to go to Manila may be the best, but they may still require documents that are difficult for you to come up with (I hope you have several certified copies of your marriage certificate and divorce decree, got CENOMARs for both of you, and have all of the other fun documents they may ask for. Otherwise, they may waste a lot of your time (since they may be pissed off you skated around their requirements when you got married).

I'm glad that others chimed in on the requirements and the seminar. It appears that any woman who is married or PUBLICLY engaged must get the seminar to travel for any reason, and ALL Filipinas must get it to go overseas on a work or permanent visa. They DO require a lot of documents that make absolutely NO sense...especially if you are already married to your sweety. Just take all of the same documents that would have been required if you had gotten married in the Philippines (you didn't think you had escaped those requirements by getting married on the sly in Hong Kong, did you?) and you will be fine.

My wife will have to deal with this issue when she renews her passport next year and changes her name. We married in Hong Kong. Just very puzzled - how can you get a certificate of elegibility to marry for CFO purposes when you are already legally married? Not only is this illogical it is also a fraud.

There is no requirement for the spouse or fiance of an alien to attend the CFO in order to leave on a tourist visa. However, there is such a requirement for one to obtain a passport.

Larry in Dumaguete

www.fil2usavisa.com

Well thats kind of what i was getting at,i didn't phrase it right,my bad.

If i understand you correctly,in this instance only filipinas married to an alien need a CP to apply for a passport,but single filipinas don't.

CFO certificate will also apply to all single ladies/men who will work abroad.

Headshot

I took my seminar in CFO office.

So did my wife, and they had her jump through all kinds of hoops. They required lots of documents that made no sense at all. Luckily, we went in the day before to ask what documents were needed. When we found out they wanted things that had already been reviewed during the marriage license process, we decided she should go armed with every document we could think of. Sure enough, they asked for things they hadn't mentioned before, but she had them, so she got through their process without having to go back. We are only going to the US so my wife can meet my parents. We have no intention of staying. The ladies running the CFO are nuns. They just aren't wearing habits. The entire program is administered and operated by an order of Catholic nuns. The only part the Philippine government plays in the organization is to authorize it and mandate its use (presidential decree). The government does not fund it or play any part in its operation.

Headshot

CFO certificate will also apply to all single ladies/men who will work abroad.

There is no such requirement for men. The seminar is for women only. Single women going overseas to work or get married are only required to attend the seminar when they apply for their visa...not when they apply for their passport. Lazydays is correct.

Headshot

My wife will have to deal with this issue when she renews her passport next year and changes her name. We married in Hong Kong. Just very puzzled - how can you get a certificate of elegibility to marry for CFO purposes when you are already legally married? Not only is this illogical it is also a fraud.

The CENOMAR does not guarantee that a person is not married. It only guarantees that a person does not have an existing marriage in the Philippines (entered into the NSO records) at the time the certificate is issued. It doesn't look at marriages contracted in other countries at all. If you are talking about the affadavit from your home country, I have no idea how you could be expected to obtain that when you are married.

Edited by Headshot

The CENOMAR does not guarantee that a person is not married. It only guarantees that a person does not have an existing marriage in the Philippines (entered into the NSO records) at the time the certificate is issued. It doesn't look at marriages contracted in other countries at all. If you are talking about the affadavit from your home country, I have no idea how you could be expected to obtain that when you are married.

Ok, got it - thanks for pointing this out.

I took my seminar in CFO office.

And it was nuns who work there?

NOPE..there's no nun in there.

AngelofBroden

My fiancee went to the CFO class before she came here. The nuns there were rude and mean and made her cry. Add to that they she had to go back 3 times because they kept coming with more documents she needed every time she went back. Would have been for them to have just told what she needed the first time instead of stringing it out...

They do this in the hopes that the girl will get frustrated and give up. Cebu is much worse about this than Manila. Usually they do it when there are large age gaps,

the girl is very young, or the petitioner has something in their history, such as several past marriages, violence, drugs, etc.

We had one client who had to go back 5 times, first they wanted letter of consent from the parents, then they wanted a notarized copy of it, then they made her bring her father, then they made her bring her mother, then they wanted a certified copy of his entire divorce summary.

As she lived in Dumaguete, and her parents lived on Bohol, this amounted to close to P30,000 in additional cost.

We always recommend anyone with any of the above mentioned particulars to attend the seminar in Manila rather than Cebu, as this almost never happens in Manila.

Larry in Dumaguete

www.fil2usavisa.com

sorry to hear about this but in my case I never had a hard time in dealing with the people of CFO and I only pay 400pesos for the stamp.I wonder why they spent that amount of money,same with my friend from Davao.

Like Stephanie, I never encountered the horrors and invasion of privacy that a lot of you guys described. I had to undergo quite a few of these seminars as I was an OFW and then of course, shortly before my flight to the U.S. to join my husband. I can't remember the fee, but we were never asked personal questions and the very few "scary" cases they told us were presented in a manner that wasn't at all offensive. From the perspective of an OFW, the seminar is quite necessary as it shows us what to expect when we get to our host countries. I am not very aversed to the seminar being conducted for fiancees and spouses either, as they do give us contact information of government agencies should we need them. Granted the government's (or the churches?) gesture is somewhat meddling with affairs that are not their business at all, but I always just took it with a grain of salt. I never expected that I would need their assistance when I'd get to the U.S. I can't understand why they have to be very personal and nasty (from the posts I read here)about it nowadays. I see no reason or excuse for it.

Well my wife got hers in Cebu ,that place is run by Nuns maybe not there all the time but its there foundation.If you go to Manila totally different . I was 66 when my wife got hers and she was 20 ,she had many personal questions asked of her she just answer what she wanted to answer in her on special way ,she does not hold back a word ,maybe she shock the one worker in the room .haaa Any way she made one trip but that was almost 5 yrs ago and we have not used it yet as we still live here in the Philippines .Good luck!!!