Fishing Nets; Mono

Anyone have information on where the best place is to buy, or have made, monofilament fishing nets. I'm looking for 3 - 4 inch gill net 100meters, or 2-50 meter nets....3 meters deep. I don't know, it just seems really hard, as "fishermen-family" can't seem to come up with a supplier or net-maker. Appreciate a little input....for personal fishing......Just trying to "re-live" some of my Long-Ago Subic Bay fishing adventures here in the Cebu area. Thanks and Regards...Jim

spritsail

There is a fishing shop in Carmen market, cebu - can't remember name where you can buy mono filiament net about 2 inch mesh size. however, you will have to buy or make the float amd lead lines to make a net yourself. even this will be no good. To fish OK with nets here, bottom fishing, other than tamban, (sardines) you will need to use a trammel net (tois mel in french). You need to make your own outer wallings , around 10 to 12 inches mesh size and ratio 1.5 outer walling size to inner net depth size . In other words, if your inner mesh net is 6 ft deep, your wallings must be 9ft deep. Only good on slack water, do not try to fish 3 to 4 hours incoming or outgong tides.

Once you have your trammel net, you wlill need two good size anchors, (15kgs), good length of chain either end of net, 1 inch chain by 3 fathom on the lead line, 2 dhan buoys on about 30 meters 12 mm poly rope on the head line (float line). Find a good sandy bottom and bobs your uncle. Best to go with 6 nets in a fleet ( 1.8 kms) to make a catch. don't forget to register your boat and get a permit frrom the local municipality you are fishing in or your boat and nets will be confiscated and a 50K peso fine.

DaveinBaghdad

50K Peso fine!!!! that could buy a lot of fish.

Edited by DaveinBaghdad
DeezNuz

Seamans Fisherman Supply...near the carbon market.

No website, but they are in the PLDT phone book.

I want to thank everyone for their replies.....this will be very helpful !!!

Regards....Jim - Tunafish

spritsail

I want to thank everyone for their replies.....this will be very helpful !!!

Regards....Jim - Tunafish

You can get a free copy of the Philippines Fisheries Code from the local fisheries office. Essential reading if you are going fishing with nets - no need if you are just sports fishing with rods and lines