Round Trip Ticket requirements?

I emailed a question to the following and got a reply that balikbayans need a return

ticket out of the philippines.Of course there are those that slip through without being checked.Also all the airlines that I checked with will not let you board without a return ticket.I would check with the airline before buying one way tickets.

Bureau of Immigration National Operations Center (BINOC)

+632 524-3769

1-800-100- ALIEN (24/7 Toll Free)

For immigration inquiries, send it at:

\n [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it

Dual Citizenship Hotline

+632 301-0756 | +632 309-7751 (Fax)

One Stop Shop Processing Hotline

+632 338-4537

Bureau of Immigration Main Office

Magallanes Drive, Intramuros, Manila

+632 527-3248

Correction of my above post-Its a ticket leaving the Philippines to anywhere.I thought my post would have been understood to mean that.Because obviously they are not going to tell anyone they must go home.

Edited by ayala
Jim Sibbick

I emailed a question to the following and got a reply that balikbayans need a return

ticket out of the philippines.Of course there are those that slip through without being checked.Also all the airlines that I checked with will not let you board without a return ticket.I would check with the airline before buying one way tickets.

+632 524-3769

\n [email protected] This e-mail address is being protected from spam bots, you need Javascript enabled to view it

Dual Citizenship Hotline

+632 338-4537

+632 527-3248

Can we see the wording of the reply please!

Regards: Jim

Email them with the same question.I had a reply in 2 days.

[email protected]

At the airport of entry, kindly present your genuine passport valid for at least 6 months and a return/onward ticket and If your filippina wife is with you,your passport will be stamped Balikbayan and is good for(1)year.

Have a nice day.

Thankyou

I did write an email asking them to clarify if an onward ticket is a requirement.

+632 524-3769

Dual Citizenship Hotline

+632 338-4537

+632 527-3248

Can we see the wording of the reply please!

Email them with the same question.I had a reply in 2 days.

[email protected]

At the airport of entry, kindly present your genuine passport valid for at least 6 months and a return/onward ticket and If your filippina wife is with you,your passport will be stamped Balikbayan and is good for(1)year.

Have a nice day.

Thankyou

I did write an email asking them to clarify if an onward ticket is a requirement.

JIm,Thats the question I asked them and this is the way the reply came.In a way it seems the reply is in 2 parts.Thanks

SkyMan

The members who have had no trouble are good planners and/or very lucky. Do you want to meet an American, living in Cebu for 3 years who went home for a hospital visit? He had an unexpired BB stamp, (lets not question the legality of those as some are more legit than others but the US airline check in would not know that), but was still refused admission to the plane at the US airport where he was to begin his return trip for the sole reason that he had no exit ticket (and had no time to find a cheap one in that short notice).

It cost him many hundreds of dollars as that ticket was not refundable. You can listen to the lucky ones or pm me with your email and I will ask Lou to tell you all about it. Its a serious problem when it happens to YOU.

Was his wife with him? Because a BB stamp expires on exit from the PI and can't be used for reentry.

A_Simple_Man

Was his wife with him? Because a BB stamp expires on exit from the PI and can't be used for reentry.

It is so easy to get caught up in details. The points are (1) He lived in the Philippines, on a BB stamp for 3 years as evidenced by his passport. (2) The stamp in his passport showed an expiry date some time in the future so it was a logical conclusion that he was on his way back to live in the Philippines. (3) He was not permitted to board the plane and was not refunded the price of the ticket, (over US$800).

Feel free to educate people on the details but don't lose sight of the ultimate out of pocket cost if and when you are wrong. It is SO easy to pick up a cheap exit ticket (or even forge one if you are that cheap) that I see absolutely no reason to promote not to do it.

It is so easy to get caught up in details. The points are (1) He lived in the Philippines, on a BB stamp for 3 years as evidenced by his passport. (2) The stamp in his passport showed an expiry date some time in the future so it was a logical conclusion that he was on his way back to live in the Philippines. (3) He was not permitted to board the plane and was not refunded the price of the ticket, (over US$800).

Feel free to educate people on the details but don't lose sight of the ultimate out of pocket cost if and when you are wrong. It is SO easy to pick up a cheap exit ticket (or even forge one if you are that cheap) that I see absolutely no reason to promote not to do it.

Allow me to reinterate this point: A balikbayan stamp is NOT residency. It is an extended tourist visa at best.

1. Get a program that allows modification of .pdf files, such as PDFill, SmartPDFconverter or PDF2Word,

2. Book your one-way ticket online either direct with an airline or through an agency such as bestflights and webjet.

3. An e-ticket will be emailed to you, which will be a .pdf file.

4. Print out the original email ticket and then save the .pdf file onto the hard-drive of your computer.

5. Open the e-ticket with a .pdf file modifier.

6. Swap the departure and arrival places around and change the date for 2 weeks / 1 month / 2 months into the future.

7. Print out the modified e-ticket.

8. If anyone asks to see your return ticket, show them the modified e-ticket.

5. Open the e-ticket with a .pdf file modifier.

6. Swap the departure and arrival places around and change the date for 2 weeks / 1 month / 2 months into the future.

7. Print out the modified e-ticket.

8. If anyone asks to see your return ticket, show them the modified e-ticket.

And who is that going to fool? It is the airline that brings you to (in this case) the Philippines which requires you to have an onwards ticket and they will normally only ask you to provide proof of such ticket if your onwards/return reservation is not shown on your booking details - which it would be in the above scenario. And if you were to produce that fake e-ticket to the airline at check-in, since the reference would be theirs they could take the stance that you're attempting to obtain travel by deception and refuse to carry you. They might even prosecute.

Mark

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, personal update. I just got back from PAL in SM and spoke with a couple of reps there and asked specifically regarding my return flight after booking my one way to the U.S. For balikbayans by birth, those born in the Philippines and naturalized in the states can purchase 1 way tickets into the Philippines without problems.

Jim Sibbick

OK, I got the reply from the Bureau of Immigration. It is very clear and I am satisfied I have the correct information to pass on now.

On 8/10/2010 10:13 AM, James Sibbick wrote:

Hello

A person I correspond with online says you gave them the following information when they asked if they were required to hold an onward ticket

Have a nice day.

I was always of the belief that as a balikbayan stamp was good for a year, that no onward ticket was required and that a ticket to leave the Philippines could be purchased any time within the year.

Would you please clarify the situation with onward tickets for balikbayans.

Is it a requirement?

Thankyou!

Dear Mr. Sibbick,

We would like to inform you that the Balikbayan admission is under the category of temporary visitor (tourist) and as such are required to present valid travel documents including a return ticket or an onward ticket or even a round trip ticket prior admission in the Philippines .

The said ticket does not necessarily need to be confirmed but its presentation proves that the tourist has the intention to leave the country.

Have a nice day.

A_Simple_Man

OK, I got the reply from the Bureau of Immigration. It is very clear and I am satisfied I have the correct information to pass on now.

There was another member who had already posted that info so it sounds a bit pompous to suggest that now YOU have confirmed it then the info must be correct.

The problems occur when someone in authority at a ticket counter or entry point does not have "the correct information", so there will still be some who come into the country without an exit ticket. Those people are lucky. Some will still get lucky coming to the Philippines. But if you don't trust luck then get an exit ticket.

CardiacKid

On 8/10/2010 10:13 AM, James Sibbick wrote:

Hello

A person I correspond with online says you gave them the following information when they asked if they were required to hold an onward ticket

Have a nice day.

I was always of the belief that as a balikbayan stamp was good for a year, that no onward ticket was required and that a ticket to leave the Philippines could be purchased any time within the year.

Would you please clarify the situation with onward tickets for balikbayans.

Is it a requirement?

Thankyou!

Dear Mr. Sibbick,

We would like to inform you that the Balikbayan admission is under the category of temporary visitor (tourist) and as such are required to present valid travel documents including a return ticket or an onward ticket or even a round trip ticket prior admission in the Philippines .

The said ticket does not necessarily need to be confirmed but its presentation proves that the tourist has the intention to leave the country.

Have a nice day.

Jim, a personal thanks from me for getting the correct information from the source. I have argued the same point countless times but to no avail. Usually the person believes what he wants to hear, ignoring the facts. To quote Ben Franklin, "Experience keeps a dear school, but a fool will learn at no other."

Edited by CardiacKid