Sign in to follow this  
JamesMusslewhite

PT Boat - "Devil Boats" - style hulls

Bill H

Hence the wish for a higher/wider/drier boat! Was thinking you would remove the mast and run a Bimini instead. Just use existing hulls and hardware to Frankenstein one? might need a 3rd hull so trimaran to get the extra width? More of a pontoon-type boat I guess. just a thought, no real idea whether it would work or not. 

You would have to be very careful of the weight, but that would work.  There is no law that says a person cannot have a Power CAT and in many ways that would be another excellent choice in these waters.  I'm not a Tri-maran fan.

PhilsFan

I ran a hatch A/C unit in my V berth in Key west out on the mooring field during the hottest nights. I ran it off a Honda 2000 generator. I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night covered in sweat to take a rinse-off. It's not necessary most of the year, but when u need it, you need it. Lol.

Bill H

I ran a hatch A/C unit in my V berth in Key west out on the mooring field during the hottest nights. I ran it off a Honda 2000 generator. I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night covered in sweat to take a rinse-off. It's not necessary most of the year, but when u need it, you need it. Lol.

Come on up to the PNW you will rarely sweat again!!  LOL

PhilsFan

You would have to be very careful of the weight, but that would work.  There is no law that says a person cannot have a Power CAT and in many ways that would be another excellent choice in these waters.  I'm not a Tri-maran fan.

Hmmm....maybe have to give that some more thought in the future. Used Hobies are available here...

I been in North Dakota and Minnesota most winters lately, now I enjoy the sweat when I travel to Phils, Lol.

miles-high

Just trying to think, lived most of my life either on the Gulf coast or around Beaufort NC when I was in the states...cant remember ever not being able to find a river, bay, some kind of harbor on the leeward side of something......when a storm approaches the problem is when it moves away and the winds change, you might have to move

Wow, that is a nice area - I have been there many time but mostly to the airports, occasionally overnight :D You have so many places to "hide" there but in the Philippines? I don't know...

Here's the pic of the area I used to go for "testing" ;) I am sure you could ID the area... ;)

IMG_0135.JPG

PhilsFan

Wow, that is a nice area - I have been there many time but mostly to the airports, occasionally overnight :D You have so many places to "hide" there but in the Philippines? I don't know...

Here's the pic of the area I used to go for "testing" ;) I am sure you could ID the area... ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_0135.JPG

In the Spanish days, Puerto Gallera was known for being a great Hurricane hole. Lots of live-aboards there when I visited a few years back. plenty of places to hide a boat in Phils Imho, especially a shallow draft boat.

Oz Jon

My fear is, however, how one can escape from typhoons, TS’s and TD’s. Let’s say we are enjoying sailing around the 100 Islands National Park off Pangasinan. Now Typhoon Koppu formed less than 48 hours ago. The weather chart was clear until then. Now, Koppu is advancing at 15 to 20knots toward you – the only “safe harbor” around there would be Subic Bay (as I am told), about 170nm away and the entire route appears to be affected by Koppu if the forecasted path was correct… I think it would be safe just drive a cat on to the shore but a sailboat? What should I do? It would take more than 24 hours to cover 170nm…

Good questions!

I think that you usually get a bit more than 48hrs warning - if not a declared typhoon, you can see that it's probably going to be one.

The #1 method to avoid bad weather/typhoons is to not be there! - If you are doubtful about upcoming weather stay in shelter or head for shelter early.

You should investigate where are the safe havens in your area of interest before you depart. I don't know the Pangasinan National Park you mentioned, but a from a quick look on Google Maps (up near Bolinao?) it looks like there are several prospective safe spots (at least for anything less than a full typhoon) up rivers and in sheltered bays between the mainland and the islands. Ask other sailors or the local fishermen for advice.

Ideally, if you look like getting caught at sea and have to run for shelter, look for a narrow river and it's tributaries, lined with mangroves. use every bit of rope you have on the boat to tie you fore and aft, port and starboard to the biggest mangroves. I rode out a cyclone (typhoon) in Cairns doing that - no problems beyond a few scratches. Watch out for logs, etc washing down and rubbish dragging your lines.

Another good place is hauled-out way up the beach and tied down (assuming your boat can be hauled-out readily)

Failing those solutions, you will need to rely on your anchor(s) while tucked in tight to high ground on the typhoons windward side of a sheltered bay. You may need to move as the typhoon passes as the wind may reverse direction. If on board, run the engine to assist the anchor if needed and prevent it from dragging.

In all situations, clear the decks, tie everything down hard and and minimise windage

There are a lot more things you can do to survive storms, but that's a start!

Have a chat with a few experienced sailors over a couple-or-three beers.

Enjoy your cruising!

Edited by Oz Jon
  • Like 2

PhilsFan

The boats berthed in their slips or on stands in the boat yard often receive more damage during a storm than do the the ones who weather the storms at sea!  :)

• Like 1