Sign in to follow this  
JamesMusslewhite

PT Boat - "Devil Boats" - style hulls

thebob

I don't understand what you mean by a "calamari" boat. Are you talking about a 32' banka? I'd be looking for a Mitsubishi KE75 2 cylinder diesel or similar out of a small tractor.

broden

i found a whale boat but no calamari boat

david-kemp.jpeg

closest i could come is a ship with a crew of Mon Calamarians

Akbar-660x343.gif

hope this helps

JamesMusslewhite

It is the solid bottom board of a 32' Calamari Fishing boat. It is a style used in this area in small calamari fleets you see in the waterways running spot lights. This a video of the boat before I stripped it completely down.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3268148862436&saved

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3266508501428&set=vb.1228755709&type=3&theater

PICT0879-2-Malapascua-fishing-60P.jpg

This is a smaller Visayan "Calamari" style fishing boat than mine but it shows the high-sides and basic design. I will be extending the hull by 6-8 feet and over tripling the width of the boat as well as using heaver outriggers.

581462_3252050379984_172610970_n.jpg

Once we got the boat over to Cabunga-an, Dinagat Island I decided I would strip it completely down to the hull board than I could extend the length by 6 feet and as you can see calamari boats are designed to be thin with extra high sides, so I will widen the width of the boat by several feet. 

This following picture is similar to the size and style of the finished boat. The backs of the long bench seats can be designed to simply fold back flat and latch to the out riggers to allow a platform for diving, staging fish cages, or hauling wide load supplies such as plywood sheets, roofing tin, wire, lumber, etc. and then fold back up and latch to comfortably carry up to 12 people. The roof is removable and mosquitoes netting sheet sections snap in place allowing on-the-water overnight camping.  

150723_3251019514213_933017175_n.jpg

Edited by JamesMusslewhite

ROCO22

Not a PT but some sort of smaller boat.

Uncle said this is photo of his boat after it washed ashore on Okinawa after typhoon.

Said he hated that thing, but the fecker would not sink.

post-678-0-67983400-1386887689_thumb.jpg

thebob

This is a smaller Visayan "Calamari" style fishing boat than mine but it shows the high-sides and basic design.

I see you must call them calamari boats there because of what they are fishing. It's a regular banca that you see everywhere.

It's pretty worthwhile to extend the deck and "fair" them in to about 3 times the width. As you say extending a few feet, each end, over the waterline, can really help to stop the "dolphining" of these hulls, and it keeps them much dryer as well.

Fitting a pair of small engines to these is a good idea if you are venturing into the blue. The fore engine can drive a propeller shaft that exits the port side just aft of the cockpit for extra thrust when underway or as auxiliary. I'd reccomend fitting some masts to tension the amas (outriggers) with some rigging. 

Lots of those style boats here in Moalboal, but we are a bit more sheltered than you are out there. I'd really recommend taking advice from the local boat builders, they do know what they are doing, and reinventing the wheel gets expensive fast. Nice project you have there.

I have a 22' version that goes just fine with a 5hp pump motor.

JamesMusslewhite

This is the 4th boat that I have bought since living here. The first 3 putted around fairly well using an old 9 hp Briggs & Stratton but often felt the need for more power. I have been looking at several 18-24 hp diesel  engines. There are areas here of heavy cross currents, dangerous water swirls, and even boat-flipping 3-direction waves which are often hard to navigate even with light loads. These waterways can also be very shallow at low tide and propeller drives are susceptible to damage. It is also difficult when putting the boat into and out of the water. The lighter motors commonly used also need to be constantly removed from the boat to prevent theft. These waterways can also be shallow at low tide and propeller drives are susceptible to damage. It is also difficult when putting the boat into and out of the water. The lighter motors also need to be constantly removed to prevent theft. This is why I am now looking into jet systems to check on their pro and cons.

One only needs a shark, longer than your boat, playfully bump the underside of your boat in deep blue to quickly realize you need a longer, wider, heaver framed boat with twice the trust and power.

These photos I found on the internet of a jon boats which was converted to jet which first sparked my interest in the systems as an option. You just have to love Redneck Ingenuity, but it certainly does show the possibilities of using a 650 jet ski system.

boat1jpg.21131859.JPG

jet001.jpg

IMAG0148.jpg

some of these jet ski systems seem to be ideal in size and output power. I am sure that a used jet ski will probably still be more costly than a new 24hp diesel motor but I am curious about their dependability, durability, and maintenance requirements.

Could a 650 jet ski motor system be modified to be converted for use in a 38 foot banca boat?

jtmwatchbiz

dam I want to build one too ..

however I don't think my 90 k/ month would support the build :(

i was thinking the same thing. maybe james can make some smaller dinghy models to suit our budgets :)

• Like 2

thebob

You can push quite a lot of boat with a 9hp BS but prop selection is critical.

Hamilton are the big name in the jet trade but they are expensive.

I think if you are going to build one from a jet ski then you need to change the motor, and just use the jet pump. Personally I think they are too much trouble.

A stainless shaft running in a brass tube is simple cheap and low maintenance. You can always protect the prop with a skid.

Have you looked at the Core Sound 20' it is built as a Cat Ketch but is often used with an outboard. An inboard wouldn't be difficult to fit. Light, strong, fast, cheap and you could sail it with polytarp sails and bamboo masts. You can get the plans here.

http://www.bandbyachtdesigns.com/cs20.htm

• Like 1

Scottiev

Jet units can be a pain...intakes get clogged , suck up some gravel a few times from running to shallow and your impellers /sleeves get even slightly damaged it looses power...rule of thumb is a 30% hp loss over the same motor with a prop..but if you want to run rivers and the shallows a jet unit is the only way to go..i have 2 at home a 17' Jon boat with a 40hp outboard w/jet for smaller creeks/rivers and a 23' Thunderjet with a 383 stroker motor , 3 stage hamilton jet for big rivers/ocean use.....i carry at least one extra set of impellers/sleeves with me on all my trips...pretty fast at the replacement of them too lol

• Like 2

miles-high

Jet units can be a pain...intakes get clogged , suck up some gravel a few times from running to shallow and your impellers /sleeves get even slightly damaged it looses power...

Wonder why "air" is not used to propel the boat instead... May have to be highly compressed to be effective? Just wondering... hehe ;)

JamesMusslewhite

i was thinking the same thing. maybe james can make some smaller dinghy models to suit our budgets :)

I have the 32 foot hull board waiting for the move from the beach lot to the farm after this coming rainy season. The rainy season  starts in the next few weeks and rains almost continuous until mid March, though 3 years ago it rained until late May early June... I will be building a small temporary bamboo house there starting this March so we can finally make the move from the City over to the farm. Once we are there I will be starting on this boat rebuild while I am collecting all the materials to build what will later be our home. I will need the boat so I can ship all the material to the farm which will save a lot on the overall materials cost of our home and farm projects.

293894_3584092120820_1287806529_n.jpg532230_3584090760786_1234536375_n.jpg.

I believe that our exposed hillside on the road through the farm may have the right consistency of clay to perhaps make a good quality construction brick, so I will be making fired test bricks and tinkering on this boat this Summer when in between a few other small projects that needs to also be done. This boat will also be for pleasure as we travel, camp, and fish around the different islands here in this area. It will be designed to be easily converted and reconfigured depending on the need, but It sure would be nice to have some torque in the throttle if needing to outrun a storm or leaving behind an unwanted nuisance.  

If I remember correctly at least one member recently posted a thread or two showing his steps building a couple of smaller light-weight banca boats. I will try to locate them and link them to this thread in case others are thinking of having a boat built.

JamesMusslewhite

Wonder why "air" is not used to propel the boat instead... May have to be highly compressed to be effective? Just wondering... hehe ;)

True story: A good friend of mine was with his family partying with family and friends on the Trinity river. He and others were sitting on a huge inflated truck inner tube and was using a gas powered hand-held garden leaf blower to propel themselves on the tube. It worked extremely well and the speed obtained was quite impressive, well at least until Big John was arrested and jailed by Texas game wardens for "intoxicated while operating an unregistered motorized boat"... 

• Like 2

JamesMusslewhite

Jet units can be a pain...intakes get clogged , suck up some gravel a few times from running to shallow and your impellers /sleeves get even slightly damaged it looses power...rule of thumb is a 30% hp loss over the same motor with a prop..but if you want to run rivers and the shallows a jet unit is the only way to go..i have 2 at home a 17' Jon boat with a 40hp outboard w/jet for smaller creeks/rivers and a 23' Thunderjet with a 383 stroker motor , 3 stage hamilton jet for big rivers/ocean use.....i carry at least one extra set of impellers/sleeves with me on all my trips...pretty fast at the replacement of them too lol

Thank you for the input. So I should expect to upsize my motor by 30% to use a turbo system. I may just stick with a 18-24hp diesel with a quality prop and later add the second motor and prop. Once the boat has both props Then I could insure I have power to safely haul heavy materials across the Straights or between Dinagat and Siargao islands.

• Like 1

Scottiev

you might look into a tunnel hull design for the boat , it helps protect the prop..On my smaller boat i had an outboard with a prop that also had electric motor mount  , start out with the prop below the bottom of the boat then when i got on plane raise the motor until the prop was level with the bottom..worked ok except in shallow starting conditions

BTW now i MUST learn more about the tuna/marlin fishing.....dang it i wanta go fish !!!

JamesMusslewhite

BTW now i MUST learn more about the tuna/marlin fishing.....dang it i wanta go fish !!!

Well than you will love the waters around Dinagat and Siargao islands.