Sign in to follow this  
tim

Dr. Ramon Sucalit, General Dentistry

tobster

In Australia dentistry is outragously expensive I was quoted about AUS$20,000 to completely redo my entire mouth. In Car Car, Cebu, the dentist on the main drag did it all for AUS$500. She pulled 15 teeth, did 6 fillings, and cleaned my teeth all in a marathon session with about 8 injection for the pain. I had 2 plates made and fitted by a dental techn. So now i will have permanent teeth made and fitted soon as well as a couple of fillings and a clean when I arrive there in a couple of weeks.

When I bitch about what I went through my wife reminds me about pain when delivering our child.

tokyoman

I had a porcelin crown put in by Dr Sucalit

Apart from having the drill go into my tounge and a bit discomfort for a few days he did a reasonable job and got charged local rates

Would I go back again?

Probably not

A_Simple_Man
I had a porcelin crown put in by Dr Sucalit Apart from having the drill go into my tounge and a bit discomfort for a few days he did a reasonable job and got charged local rates

Mentioning prices would be of some help. The dentist I see charges approximately 8000 pesos per crown. I see one post where 6000 per crown was mentioned and there are others who mentioned 300 US $ and up. It seems to me that it may pay to shop around. For me, I was happy to go to a dentist who was recommended by friends so the price of 8000 per porcelain cap (no root canal needed) was fine by me. But I think a price of 6000 would be a great find so maybe I will get a quote from the Dentist mentioned in this thread before I get the rest of my caps done.

ron100

hi, i get mine done in cebu and have 8 crowns done ,front at 3000 each and back 4000 ,if need a root canal its 3000/4000 extra

had them for 2 yrs and no probs . if u look at my post u will see his name and location.

and they are porcelain,

Edited by ron100

Guy60417

I need to get some basic stuff done -- cleaning, a check-up, and a loose filling or two replaced. Maybe something bigger might follow.

I think I'll give Sucalit a try since he's very near to where I live, unless somebody has some other recommendation. But I must admit that getting my tongue drilled doesn't sound like fun. I hope he doesn't do that sort of thing often. :-)

Headshot

The appeal is that it makes going to the dentist fun. The effect is to make you happy, without any anxieties whatsoever. I used to have it in the US when I had my teeth cleaned. I once had a root canal done and was enjoying it so much I didn't want it to end. A couple of times I was having sexual fantasies about the dental assistant (hot). The reason you don't get it is because you never tried it. Highly recommended, unfortunately unavailable here in Cebu.

I had laughing gas once in the US. It did absolutely nothing for me. The pain was horrible. Even with novacaine, it usually takes twice as much as normal and they have to wait twice as long as normal before I am deadened enough to tolerate the remaining pain. Laughing gas was a joke. I guess it affects (or doesn't affect) different people differently. I would love to find a dentist who can use a general anesthetic for major work (I need some crowns). I know they are available in the US, but I have never heard of one here.

Also, does anyone know of a good oral surgeon (for extracting imbedded wisdom teeth)?

Headshot

hi, i get mine done in cebu and have 8 crowns done ,front at 3000 each and back 4000 ,if need a root canal its 3000/4000 extra

had them for 2 yrs and no probs . if u look at my post u will see his name and location.

and they are porcelain,

Could we have a link to the post you are talking about?

thebob

Since my visit to doctor Sucalit, I have been visiting a dentist in Moalboal.

I cant remember his name but it is the visiyan for "crocodile". His office is just on the border of Alacantara and Moalboal. He has a nice new office and is open on weekends. He practices in the city during the week.

He performed a root canal and fitted a porcelain crown for 3,500.

Lee

I had 4 caps done by Dr Ramon Sucalit and my wife had a bridge done and we both were very happy with his work and the price of my 4 caps was less than I would have paid for only one back in the US even with my dental insurance discount. I have also found him to be exceptionally honest. One time I went in with a tooth ache and where most dentists would have xrayed and drilled, he examined and found it was my gum and not my tooth that was causing the problem and told me to go to the drug store and get and over the counter item whereas he could done work and then sent me for the same over the counter item and I never would have been the wiser. A more honest and down to earth person I doubt can be found.

I highly recommend Dr Sucalit.

Contact info

Phone 253 2699

Address

Suite 307-A Ma Cristina Bldg II

Atop McDonald's Fuente

Fuente Osmena, Cebu City

Philippines 6000

easy44

Laughing gas was a joke.

That's funny!

A_Simple_Man
the price of my 4 caps was less than I would have paid for only one back in the US even with my dental insurance discount.

It seems you were happy with the price but that bit of info I quoted can be said about every dentist in the Philippines and it would be nice to compare apples to apples. Can you remember a ballpark figure?

Lee

It seems you were happy with the price but that bit of info I quoted can be said about every dentist in the Philippines and it would be nice to compare apples to apples. Can you remember a ballpark figure?

Sorry, the reason I did not quote a price was that it was just over 2 years ago I had them done, so prices may have gone up since then and the exchange rate has changed quite a bit since then as well but I do remember that with my insurance it would have cost me about $600 to have each cap done in Florida and it was actually less than that for all 4 in Cebu when Ramon did them.

As far as I know he will quote ballpark prices over the phone, so possibly that might be the best way to compare current prices.

Edited by Mr. Lee
  • Like 1

NHANORAK

Just want to relate my experience with Dr Sucalit earlier this year.

Having read several good posts about him in this thread I decided to use him to put in a new upper and lower bridge. I received some injections and several teeth were reduced to accommodate the bridges. However, after the anaesthetic wore off I had one throbbing tooth. I contacted Dr Sucalit who advised me it would settle. The following day it was still very painful and he prescribed some very good painkillers. However, the pain continued whenever the drugs wore off.  

The bridges were installed and still I had toothache. I saw a different dentist in Ayala and after checking out an XRAY and the tooth, he diagnosed that the tooth had likely been reduced too much. Saw Doctor Sucalit again and told him about the other diagnosis. He took an XRAY and advised me that I had a wisdom tooth impacting on the tooth he had drilled and that the reduction was fine. He said the wisdom tooth needed extraction and he could do it, or I could get it done back in the UK when I went back after the holiday.

I subsequently spent 4 further weeks on pain killers before TWO British dentists (one private practise, one NHS practise) XRAYED and confirmed that the tooth had almost certainly been reduced too much and the wisdom tooth was not a problem. As a result I opted to have a hole drilled in my bridge and root canal performed. Immediately after the root canal was done my pain went. That was nine months ago and I have had no issues with the wisdom tooth or pain from any other teeth. So I assume that Dr Sucalit was incompetent rather than dishonest in his diagnosis.

I should also mention that while I was being treated by Dr Sucalit I picked up a terrible infection of some sort and ended up on a drip in the hospital. I needed some very powerful anti biotics to sort out a bad case of the trots. I'm not saying I picked up the bug from his surgery, but I did witness him answering his mobile once when treating me (taking it from his pocket with his gloves still on). On another occasion his assistant sneezed straight over some bottles of pain killer drugs that were subsequently used on me. I also noticed that she went in and out of the surgery several  times touching a very dirty door handle, but never washed her hands before returning to assist.

While I found Dr Sucalit a very amiable chap, I will certainly not be returning or recommending him.

• Like 2

newbster

There are many good dentists in Cebu. I have personal experience with Dr Charleston B Jorgio and his wife (she is a dentist, too).

They are located behind Cebu Doctors Hostpital, Suite 304 Dr. J.C. Borromeo Bldg. Gov. Roa St., Capitol Site.

He has a large number of satisfied foreign patients, including me.

http://www.cebudentistry.com/testimonial.htm

Any idea what this office would charge for just a cleaning? 

Edited by newbster

Tamed

While I found Dr Sucalit a very amiable chap, I will certainly not be returning or recommending him
That is very unfortunate and I feel a bit sorry for you. I have read over this thread though and the red flags were there so I'm not sure why you insisted to still go to him?