Sign in to follow this  
tim

Dr. Ramon Sucalit, General Dentistry

tim

(with permission from the mods)

I would like to put a shout out for Dr. Ramon Sucalit, General Dentistry... he did some work for me while I was in Cebu. He did great work, he did it in a fast and reliable fashion (since I was on a tourist visa and only in town for a limited time) and his work was well worth the effort and money.

Dr. Ramon Sucalit

Suite 307 - A Ma. Cristina Bldg. 11

Fuente Osmena, Cebu City

telephone # 253-2699

directions... if U are standing, with your back to Robinson Mall and your front facing Mac Donalds, go to your left... around the building... between Watson's Pharmacy and Mac Donalds, u will see an inlet that leads to the elevator... take that elevator to the 3rd floor...

One note.. this is the Philippines... take your own pain medication ... I took mine and had to use them for several days, the setup is not like in the USA, the office is open and U can see everything going on... but for General Dentistry it will work...

JMHO

TheDuke

Thanks for the info. Now I have a dentist I can contact if something happens to one of my crowns when I'm visiting in November 2010. Would do you mean by bring your own pain medicine? I hope he doesn't work on patients without administering some kind of pain medication. That would suck.

JohnFromTexas

Same question as toothless. How do you bring your own pain medicine unless you mean advil or tylenol? You can't get any controlled pain meds here without a prescription... and often the pharmacies don't even carry prescription controlled pain meds. When I had my surgery in naga I asked them to get me a prescription for hydrocodone - she said the pharmacy at the hospital didn't even carry it!

Also does he do x-rays? I was shocked when my wife told me after her last trip to the dentist that the dentist worked on her cavity without even taking x-rays... no wonder she had to go back a second time because she didn't take care of them the first time.

Surely the dentists here at least have novocaine/injectable anesthetics.

I've asked on here before how you get real pain medicine here when you need it and have never gotten an answer. I'd definitely want to find out before I had major work done!

tim

Crown work could run u between 300 to 600 usd. depending on the quality of the crown. There was no gas hookup at the chairs, and when I asked Dr. Sucalit, he told me that in Cebu if U need any pain medication then that work would be done outside of the local office (by law) so it would have to be done at the local hospital (higher costs of course.) I took a bottle of darvocet pain pills with me. I asked Dr. Sucalit and he said that he could have gave a shot if I had asked, but I was in his office several times over a 2 week period and I never saw anyone receive or even heard anyone ask for a shot. So if u want to know about pain meds u might ask up front. I know it is not offered, so U will have to ask for it.

My experience might have made me believe this and I might have misunderstood the whole thing, so as I said, before U agree with any medical procedure, I would ask about the availability of pain medication and how it would apply to you, and I would bring as a backup any pain pills u might need from your home country.... jmho

As for the work... Dr.Ramon Sucalit did me right. Also, if I had more time I would have done more work, so as of now, i do plan on coming back next year and will do a little more with the good doctor.

tim from Memphis

ayala

Same question as toothless. How do you bring your own pain medicine unless you mean advil or tylenol? You can't get any controlled pain meds here without a prescription... and often the pharmacies don't even carry prescription controlled pain meds. When I had my surgery in naga I asked them to get me a prescription for hydrocodone - she said the pharmacy at the hospital didn't even carry it!

Also does he do x-rays? I was shocked when my wife told me after her last trip to the dentist that the dentist worked on her cavity without even taking x-rays... no wonder she had to go back a second time because she didn't take care of them the first time.

I've asked on here before how you get real pain medicine here when you need it and have never gotten an answer. I'd definitely want to find out before I had major work done!

Tex,I read on a living in the philippines type website that was mostly davao and mindanao but had posters from all over the philippines of a guy that was looking for a source for cheaper pain meds for his back because he was paying 60P each for oxycodone and 30P each for hydrocodone at the pharmacy he was using in Davao.I will see if I can locate that website again.

tim

Tex,I read on a living in the philippines type website that was mostly davao and mindanao but had posters from all over the philippines of a guy that was looking for a source for cheaper pain meds for his back because he was paying 60P each for oxycodone and 30P each for hydrocodone at the pharmacy he was using in Davao.I will see if I can locate that website again.

Tex

U might check with Ron's site he has linked to this forum 'Philippine Nightlife' he has a medical link where people can order certain types of meds and have them shipped to u while U are in the philippines... I have never used them, but I am sure U can ask questions or call their contact to find out some more information on meds.

just a suggestion....

tim

Don.

I have had dental work done in Cebu many times over the years.

I have always asked for, and received, novacaine in the dentists office.

sperman

could you elaborate on this please? who was he, where does he operate? my wife had some small fillings attended to and also building up where there was a large gap between teeth.(like terry thomas). but he refused to fill a large cavity because it would cause her to much pain. i just presumed he did not do injections. i forget his name, near fuente circle but towards capitol.

Don.

could you elaborate on this please? who was he, where does he operate? my wife had some small fillings attended to and also building up where there was a large gap between teeth.(like terry thomas). but he refused to fill a large cavity because it would cause her to much pain. i just presumed he did not do injections. i forget his name, near fuente circle but towards capitol.

My first time having dental work in Cebu was with Dr.Yap at Metro Park Hotel, but I have also seen about 4 other dentists in Cebu, and all of them gave me novacaine.

They all told me that most Filipinos do not request novacaine, but all the dentists that I visited keep it in stock just in case.

I was never charged extra for the novacaine, and fillings almost always cost about 500 pesos.

Old fillings removed and replaced cost 1000 pesos.

sperman

My first time having dental work in Cebu was with Dr.Yap at Metro Park Hotel, but I have also seen about 4 other dentists in Cebu, and all of them gave me novacaine.

They all told me that most Filipinos do not request novacaine, but all the dentists that I visited keep it in stock just in case.

I was never charged extra for the novacaine, and fillings almost always cost about 500 pesos.

Old fillings removed and replaced cost 1000 pesos.

my wife just told me that having injections will hasten the end of sound gums and teeth.

funny thing is i was a bit taken aback when i read the drug compendium mims annual and saw all the numerous side effects of the various drugs, but i never ever made the connection with dentistry.

i've always been impressed with the filopino's gums. at least in the provinces. but maybe thats their diet where they eat a lot of overcooked fish (dissolved calcium maybe?) including right up to the eyes which is rich in A.

samatm

Crown work could run u between 300 to 600 usd. depending on the quality of the crown. There was no gas hookup at the chairs, and when I asked Dr. Sucalit, he told me that in Cebu if U need any pain medication then that work would be done outside of the local office (by law) so it would have to be done at the local hospital (higher costs of course.) I took a bottle of darvocet pain pills with me. I asked Dr. Sucalit and he said that he could have gave a shot if I had asked, but I was in his office several times over a 2 week period and I never saw anyone receive or even heard anyone ask for a shot. So if u want to know about pain meds u might ask up front. I know it is not offered, so U will have to ask for it.

My experience might have made me believe this and I might have misunderstood the whole thing, so as I said, before U agree with any medical procedure, I would ask about the availability of pain medication and how it would apply to you, and I would bring as a backup any pain pills u might need from your home country.... jmho

As for the work... Dr.Ramon Sucalit did me right. Also, if I had more time I would have done more work, so as of now, i do plan on coming back next year and will do a little more with the good doctor.

tim from Memphis

Doc Sucalit did work for me last year and I was quite pleased with the Crown and fillings he did. The crown was only 6000Pesos not 300 or 600 USD. the Crown was a quality Porceline crown which took several vists for sizing to fit just right. Doc wanted it just right and insisted it should feel right for me. YES he gave me localized pain anesthetic injection. (OUCH I cnt imagine not having it. Are there two Doc Sucalits ???? . ) The place I went was just above McDoos on Fuente Circle. Very good Dentist.

Don.

my wife just told me that having injections will hasten the end of sound gums and teeth.

I believe that is just another Filipino superstition about health.

• Like 1

TheDuke

I can't imagine having dental work without something to numb the nerves around my teeth. Everytime I go to the dentist in San Antonio, TX he will numb the area around the tooth before starting to drill. One time he didn't numb me enough and I almost jumped out of the chair screaming. There is no way I would allow someone to start drilling on my teeth without not being able to feel that side of my mouth.

Edited by Toothless
  • Like 1

tim

tim from Memphis

Doc Sucalit did work for me last year and I was quite pleased with the Crown and fillings he did. The crown was only 6000Pesos not 300 or 600 USD. the Crown was a quality Porceline crown which took several vists for sizing to fit just right. Doc wanted it just right and insisted it should feel right for me. YES he gave me localized pain anesthetic injection. (OUCH I cnt imagine not having it. Are there two Doc Sucalits ???? . ) The place I went was just above McDoos on Fuente Circle. Very good Dentist.

Yes I think that is the same Dr. Sucalit... 12 usd for a crown would be great, sounds like u got the local price...but i made my inquiries from the USA and made my first appt from USA also... but I am not disappointed with what I paid. I also made several visits because he wanted to make sure the work he did was acceptable. Which it was.

As I said, U can get a shot (if U request) but I needed pain pills for when I left the chair and was back at the hotel. I have had Dentists work on me without pain shots and gas while in the chair in the USA before, but it is not something I suggest. Water and high speed drilling is not the way for many. I would never use a Dentist now with out at least Gas...in the USA. In the Philippines, it is what it is...

I am saying that some people need pain pills for when they go back to the hotel room, or home. Now I did take pain pills before and after my visits with Dr. Sucalit. But that is just me...lol..

Edited by tim

samatm

tim from Memphis

Yes I think that is the same Dr. Sucalit... 12 usd for a crown would be great, sounds like u got the local price...but i made my inquiries from the USA and made my first appt from USA also... but I am not disappointed with what I paid. I also made several visits because he wanted to make sure the work he did was acceptable. Which it was.

As I said, U can get a shot (if U request) but I needed pain pills for when I left the chair and was back at the hotel. I have had Dentists work on me without pain shots and gas while in the chair in the USA before, but it is not something I suggest. Water and high speed drilling is not the way for many. I would never use a Dentist now with out at least Gas...in the USA. In the Philippines, it is what it is...

I am saying that some people need pain pills for when they go back to the hotel room, or home. Now I did take pain pills before and after my visits with Dr. Sucalit. But that is just me...lol..

Tim, I think you left off a Zero. it was about 120 USD for the Crown and 20USD for the filling (non metalic tooth colored). I hve another crown coming up and will definetly go back to see Doc Sucalit. Sorry snd surprised you got charged the out-of towner rate. He has been promoted before on this board and should know that prices paid are posted. Maybe he give you a freebie on your next trip in for your promotional efforts. :shitstormretarded: