Gov't thinking of giving excess rice to the poor

MANILA, Philippines (Xinhua) -- The Philippine government may distribute to poor Filipinos the surplus imported rice instead of leaving it to rot in warehouses, presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said today.

National Food Authority (NFA) is currently assessing the situation of the rice stocks stored in its warehouses nationwide, he said in a news briefing.

"Certainly that is a good suggestion, but we will study it (the distribution of the surplus grains)," he said when asked if the government could just consider giving the rice to poor Filipinos.

Social Welfare and Development Secretary Corazon Soliman would also be consulted regarding the recommendation, he said.

In his first State of the Nation Address on Monday, President Benigno Aquino III revealed that due to the over importation of rice during the previous administration, excess supply was left to rot in warehouses, while the government is suffering over a P171.6 billion debt incurred by the NFA in rice importation as of May 2010.

The NFA, with the help of the Department of Justice and the National Bureau of Investigation, would conduct a probe that will involve a system and management audit on the reported over importation of rice and determine the possible accountability of parties involved, officials said.

http://www.philstar....bCategoryId=200

Edited by Cary
booger10

Yess... I read about that too. Giving it away is much better than letting it rot as it seems it is. I am sure there is church and civic organizations that would be sure to get it to the right people too. Isn't there some there that do that, give food and help poor. I don't remember but wives of some on the board here. That would be really cool.

senseless

Giving it away is better than letting it rot. But lets keep in mind that corporations did pay for this rice ( and to be imported ) out of pocket. All the government did was allow them to import it.

Edited by senseless

The effect of distributing a large amount of free imported rice will depress prices that local farmers get for their rice. Lower rice prices leads to less rice planting. Then the next local harvest will be smaller leading to more dependence on imported rice.

• Like 2
booger10

Giving it away is better than letting it rot. But lets keep in mind that corporations did pay for this rice ( and to be imported ) out of pocket. All the government did was allow them to import it.

Yes, the rice is owned by traders and importer. Surely there could be something arranged aside than just letting it go to waste. News say the govt is going to make sure taxes are paid, perhaps trade off or buy at a big discount rather than losing their investment. UNLESS there was a guarantee for minimum pricing by someone in the previous administration.... The govt seems to void agreements that are not approved by correct govt identities if they are found out and can not get away with it.

Anyway, is much better than letting it rot with over 10% of the people living on $1 a day and another 20% (I think I read higher) or so on $2 a day..some mighty hungry people out there. It is said it is 4 times the amount of rice needed for the time.

booger10

The effect of distributing a large amount of free imported rice will depress prices that local farmers get for their rice. Lower rice prices leads to less rice planting. Then the next local harvest will be smaller leading to more dependence on imported rice.

I am not sure of how much rice is in storage, but I would think it would not be there for the next harvasting, and, imports would be lower which would maintain prices. With less importing, it would make it better for the local farmers to grow more rice instead of less..and stabelize prices for the farmers would not be in competition with lower imported prices. I am not an economic expert.. just seems right to me. I read where they are thinking of making a certain amount of the agriculture maintained with rice growing. It is eaten there all three meals it seems. It doesn't make sense to import when it can be grown there. Adds jobs, too. Arroyo contracted with S Korea for 94,000 Hectres in Mindanao to grow food for their country..I don't know what came of that, yet.

found the link for the percentages: Three years ago, almost 33 percent of Filipinos were living below the poverty line. Now it is even worse because of the recession. As of 2005, 10.8 percent of the country's population survive on just $1 a day, and another 41.2 percent make do with less than $2 daily.

http://www.speroforum.com/a/37364/Philippines-Hunger-and-poverty-are-Aquinos-greatest-challenges?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+speroforum%2Fnroq+%28Spero+News%29

Edited by booger10

Yess... I read about that too. Giving it away is much better than letting it rot as it seems it is. I am sure there is church and civic organizations that would be sure to get it to the right people too. Isn't there some there that do that, give food and help poor. I don't remember but wives of some on the board here. That would be really cool.

Am I correct in understanding that the government may "give out the rice that would otherwise rot" ...to the poor Phil people. Why shouldn't they, won't hurt the government. I think they ought to be ashamed of themselves for letting their own people go hungry and yet try to nickel and dime everyone for fees, this and that, and the other. Like the government is doing everyone a big favor...who they trying to kid???

Has the RP ever been self sufficient in rice production?

mahogany

Great idea!!! I shall be informing my neighborhood accordingly, so that those men who were intending to work for a few days - by order of their wives - will know that there is no immediate need to earn a living, and that in the end it pays off to rather spend the time with barkadas drinking, gambling or playing basketbol. :scratch_head:

Part of the reason the RP has financial problems is because they have used price controls in the past. And to make up the difference the government subsidized the suppliers. Its a good idea to give the rice away than letting it rot because as we all know there are a lot of hungry people here and the rice is paid for. I would just add that the government while they are giving this rice, better find a way to help out these farmers. As stated earlier, when the rice is given away, it will lower the incentive for next season's harvest and then we are basically back to where we are right now. And there will be no rice surplus to fall back on.

Edited by Cary